Schools Closed

ThankU

Are you sure? My wife's mum tells me the school bus is packed with unattended primary kids dropping off to Auldyn Infants School.

It probably depends on the school, but mostly the bus services are for secondary schools, primaries are more numerous and closer to peoples homes. Kids tend to be walked or dropped off.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you sure? My wife's mum tells me the school bus is packed with unattended primary kids dropping off to Auldyn Infants School.

It probably depends on the school, but mostly the bus services are for secondary schools, primaries are more numerous and closer to peoples homes. Kids tend to be walked or dropped off.

In the Douglas area, perhaps. Certainly not true in the likes of Laxey - where kids come by bus from the surrounding areas, nor the likes of St Johns, and many others. Not everyone lives within easy walking distance of a school.

Edited to add support for sarahc's post - the buses for primary schools are usually packed!

In the Douglas area, perhaps. Certainly not true in the likes of Laxey - where kids come by bus from the surrounding areas, nor the likes of St Johns, and many others. Not everyone lives within easy walking distance of a school.

Right, there's a few out of town examples, but most primary schools still don't depend on the buses, so why close all of them?

Lots of younger children in Douglas get the bus because the parents can't/won't take them and it's safer than walking. Many Fairfield children (and other schools too) come from all around and there is a bus for them.

Yes... but it doesn't happen on Planet Slim.

Lots of younger children in Douglas get the bus because the parents can't/won't take them and it's safer than walking. Many Fairfield children (and other schools too) come from all around and there is a bus for them.

I get your point sarahc, I got it the last three times you made it. Not all kids in those schools get the bus. Some do, 'lots' might, but they don't all and I'm sure given the choice of missing another days work or being late while you arrange to get them to school while the bus is cancelled 'lots' of parents would chose the latter.

I've never seen a bus at my kids school, so I don't see why it's closed. Got it?

If the buses don't run many/most pupils can't get in and if the schools remained open their attendance record would be very low. Perhaps there is an ulterior motive as to why they are shut. Just a thought.

Or it could be to get more 'bank' days as most of the teachers went into School on Monday!!!!

The primary schools would not really have problems with kids getting busses as most live close by BUT due to lazy parents and children who only live a short walk away STILL driving in which would cause further danger, i suspect that they took the decision to close schools to also keep traffic off the roads (kids not at school, parents need to stay home = less traffic!).

This means that there will be less accidents and therefore less strain on the emergency services and DoT.

A lot of parents drive to school because the majority of parents actually have to work, so after you've dropped the children off you have to rush back to the car and get into work on time. It's not a question of being 'lazy' it's being a working parent!

Archived