Schools Closed

ThankU

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must take issue with the poster who criticised parents who, they think, look on school as a child minding service; sorry, not true. Working parents already fit their 4 or 5 week's holiday around the school 12 or 13 week holiday to ensure the kids have adequate care. They also have to sort out the unexpected like sickness so an unexpected school closure can be pretty difficult to factor in.

What always makes me inwardly smile is the stay-at-home mothers who complain about the long summer holidays and who would say to me: 'Can't wait for the end of the summer holidays, can you?' I would always smile and say it made no difference to me as it was really only a case of where to get the kids to in the morning, secretly thinking, how would I long for six weeks of bumming around with my kids.

It strikes me that it is the non-working parents that gripe more about extended school holidays, whereas the working parents have a real problem to deal with, but generally do.

The primary schools would not really have problems with kids getting busses as most live close by BUT due to lazy parents and children who only live a short walk away STILL driving in which would cause further danger, i suspect that they took the decision to close schools to also keep traffic off the roads (kids not at school, parents need to stay home = less traffic!).

This means that there will be less accidents and therefore less strain on the emergency services and DoT.

A lot of parents drive to school because the majority of parents actually have to work, so after you've dropped the children off you have to rush back to the car and get into work on time. It's not a question of being 'lazy' it's being a working parent!

Fair comment... but you see my point about the traffic on the roads? If the schools are open then more traffic will be on the roads? I see your point too and guess I was quick to blow up about 'lazy' parents. The thing is, there are MANY people who are very quick to point the finger at teachers, who are just doing their job - it is not their choice about school closures! Yet, when you point the finger at the parents, everyone goes mad about it!! How come it is ok to have a dig at teachers (and many of them are also parents) but not ok to have a go at parents?

Just defending the other side.

Fair comment... but you see my point about the traffic on the roads? If the schools are open then more traffic will be on the roads? I see your point too and guess I was quick to blow up about 'lazy' parents. The thing is, there are MANY people who are very quick to point the finger at teachers, who are just doing their job - it is not their choice about school closures! Yet, when you point the finger at the parents, everyone goes mad about it!! How come it is ok to have a dig at teachers (and many of them are also parents) but not ok to have a go at parents?

The posts you replied with an anti-parent rant were blaming the DoT and DoE, not the teachers.

I must take issue with the poster who criticised parents who, they think, look on school as a child minding service; sorry, not true. Working parents already fit their 4 or 5 week's holiday around the school 12 or 13 week holiday to ensure the kids have adequate care. They also have to sort out the unexpected like sickness so an unexpected school closure can be pretty difficult to factor in.

Many, many parents do look on school as child care... they often send sick children to school because they have got to get to work (and before you say, I do understand the pressures and it is really hard to take time off work or arrange for someone else to have your child, but sending them in to school really causes many other problems! I have cleaned up vomit from a pupil's desk on many occasions - and their books/pencils/pens/friends! - when I should have been teaching the other 25-30 children.)

I agree that it is very difficult to fit in your holidays around school.

I am a teacher and I see and hear things you wouldn't believe!! One parent complained about a teacher who was going off on maternity leave - the parent said the teacher could have planned it around the summer holidays rather than take time off during the academic year!! :blink: We take a lot of stick for things which are decided by people much higher up in education... and there are many decisions we really don't agree with!!

My post wasn't intended to offend but if it did then I apologise.

The posts you replied with an anti-parent rant were blaming the DoT and DoE, not the teachers.

Read it back - fair enough. I think I'd just about had enough of 'teacher bashing' and went into rant mode without giving it enough thought! As I said, sorry for any offence caused.

Kind regards

TootieBootie (Teacher, mother and wife with childcare issues due to having to go back to work in 3 months time after maternity leave! Booo :( )

Archived