Fly Tipping Of Old Tyres

Yessir

it seems madness thought that if the incinerator burns tyres even if they have to be mixed in etc why they won't accept tyres to be sent there

They will if you go through h+s induction and register as waste disposer,The incinerator is not open to the general public for any waste disposal,only commercial

Thanks for your replies. They only go to show that there is an unaddressed problem and that some of you have commercial quantities to deal with.

Of course tyres can be recycled without being incinerated. Examples of use are: Tiles and tile adhesives, mixing with asphalt, sports surfaces, carpet underlay, noise and vibration insulation, playgrounds and matting. I believe the crumbs can also be re-used for tyre manufacture, their price being one third the price of the raw materials. Up to 50% can be used for large industrial tyes for slow speed applications. The textiles that reinforce the tyres can be separated and a shredding machine manufacturer mentions a growing demand for this material (not found out what for).

There was a progamme on TV some years ago about a back yard furnace design which burned tyres whole, with unburnable materials e.g. steel cord, being removed at the end of the process. This furnace generated a vortex and was also fed with compressed air to reach very high temperatures indeed, which vapourised the smoke, presumably to carbon dioxide. As much of the rubber of a tyre is natural rubber from trees then that proportion would presumably be rated as "carbon zero".

On our Island, it seems the main problem of almost everlasting tyres is a large surplus now building up on farms. The small handful I have in my garden are spares, which I bought secondhand for a car I ran years ago but I never used them. I will not fly tip them. I could bury them but it would have to be very deep and I don't have the strength I once did.

Remembering the amnesty that the Government had on more than one occasion for toxic garden and farm chemicals, maybe they would consider a well advertised amnesty for tyre disposal, even if it was at a handful of recycling points and over a limited period of time?

The foremost company in Britain using waste rubber from tyres is www.rubber-recovery.com some of their quoted applications are as follows:

All-weather sports surfaces

Multi-sport arenas

Tennis courts

Children's play areas

Football pitches

Indoor sports arenas

Athletics tracks

Hockey pitches

Netball courts

Golf walkways

Edited by Yessir
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies. They only go to show that there is an unaddressed problem and that some of you have commercial quantities to deal with.

Of course tyres can be recycled without being incinerated. Examples of use are: Tiles and tile adhesives, mixing with asphalt, sports surfaces, carpet underlay, noise and vibration insulation, playgrounds and matting. I believe the crumbs can also be re-used for tyre manufacture, their price being one third the price of the raw materials. Up to 50% can be used for large industrial tyes for slow speed applications. The textiles that reinforce the tyres can be separated and a shredding machine manufacturer mentions a growing demand for this material (not found out what for).

There was a progamme on TV some years ago about a back yard furnace design which burned tyres whole, with unburnable materials e.g. steel cord, being removed at the end of the process. This furnace generated a vortex and was also fed with compressed air to reach very high temperatures indeed, which vapourised the smoke, presumably to carbon dioxide. As much of the rubber of a tyre is natural rubber from trees then that proportion would presumably be rated as "carbon zero".

On our Island, it seems the main problem of almost everlasting tyres is a large surplus now building up on farms. The small handful I have in my garden are spares, which I bought secondhand for a car I ran years ago but I never used them. I will not fly tip them. I could bury them but it would have to be very deep and I don't have the strength I once did.

Remembering the amnesty that the Government had on more than one occasion for toxic garden and farm chemicals, maybe they would consider a well advertised amnesty for tyre disposal, even if it was at a handful of recycling points and over a limited period of time?

The foremost company in Britain using waste rubber from tyres is www.rubber-recovery.com some of their quoted applications are as follows:

All-weather sports surfaces

Multi-sport arenas

Tennis courts

Children's play areas

Football pitches

Indoor sports arenas

Athletics tracks

Hockey pitches

Netball courts

Golf walkways

Well thats all well and good.

But it cost to get them off the island, and can cost to get them processed.

so unless you want to pay out of your own pocket then really there is no choice.

There wont be that many people with old tyres in the garden,

farmers have a lot yes. but they just sit in a pile doing no harm if there not used,

Interesting link Alibaba but a bit of lateral thinking will be required before much gets done locally and this is probably the worst time in history for me to bring up the subject. Tyres can still be utilised in a few years if we have an upturn. By that time we may all be retyred !! ( just had to pop that in for Albert ) ;)

Tyre chips are controversial in their effect on the environment (leaching of metals etc). The properties that make them so good as tyres unfortunately make them very hard to recycle - and burning them releases a lot of carcogens and other shit (although I imagine our big expensive energy from waste plant filters a lot).

There will also never be enough demand for tyres in the applications Yessir stated, we just have too many of them.

• 12 years later...

I have been wanting someone to help me with an idea I have with the used motor car tyres on the Isle of Man. I would need to speak to someone who is living in Douglas and who would be committed to getting rid of the tyres and turning them into something useful 

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

I like the idea of recycling them. You'd think they'd make a good surface for the long distance paths, rather than the traditional gravel and tarmac. There would be some effort to store and process them though, that's the drawback. Perhaps an opening for a commercial business. 

could be down to costs. They used to have a plastic recycling operation in the building across from the old Castle Industries building. I believe it became very expensive to run and maintain

• Like 1