Is This The New Occupier Of Woolworths Building?

ramseyrocks

Digital downloads/purchases can take place in a store. The point still remains they can no doubt easily make more money expanding on the IOM than it would cost in rent and fitting out that store.

I don't understand either of those sentences :) Why would anyone go to a store to download data ?

Also I think the death of the pysical medium is further off than most people think. It's the mind set of owning something pysical - especially when it comes to more expensive items such as games and blu-ray.

I hate clutter and I want less stuff. It's all just future detritus destined to end up at Jurby Junk. The whole point of programmable devices should be that we need fewer items.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Digital downloads/purchases can take place in a store. The point still remains they can no doubt easily make more money expanding on the IOM than it would cost in rent and fitting out that store.

I don't understand either of those sentences :) Why would anyone go to a store to download data ?

Also I think the death of the pysical medium is further off than most people think. It's the mind set of owning something pysical - especially when it comes to more expensive items such as games and blu-ray.

I hate clutter and I want less stuff. It's all just future detritus destined to end up at Jurby Junk. The whole point of programmable devices should be that we need fewer items.

Not sure what's hard to understand. A cost benefit analysis of expanding their store would undoubtedly reveal that in the current climate/market - they'll make more money expanding their store than it will cost them doing it.

Digital downloads don't have to come from your own computer - HMV could provide kiosks for this.

That all depends on what else HMV have to offer doesn't it... coffee shop, game kiosks, rentals, digital downloads, sample music, live events... anything to attract punters and sell their wares in an environment of use/that is worthwhile to said punters.

I'm not saying it won't go the way of the Dodo, but this argument has been running for a decade... and HMV are still going, discs are still being made and DVD has been replaced by another physical medium. It's just not as black and white as you make out.

Digital downloads don't have to come from your own computer - HMV could provide kiosks for this.

That is not going to happen.

Meanwhile CD and DVD sales have declined massively. Despite industry propaganda blu ray sales have not offset that decline.

The high street retailers are closing. Eg all the Virgin Media Stores in the US were shutdown early 2009.

That is not going to happen.

Meanwhile CD and DVD sales have declined massively. Despite industry propaganda blu ray sales have not offset that decline.

The high street retailers are closing. Eg all the Virgin Media Stores in the US were shutdown early 2009.

My point remains that there's most likely money to be made expanding HMV in the IOM.

Free streaming not lucrative, what a surprise! I noticed this in the same article however:

Mr Bronfman's comments come just weeks after another major label, Universal, said Spotify was well on the way to proving its commercial viability.

"Spotify is a very sustainable financial model - full stop," Rob Wells, senior vice president of Universal Music Group International, said in January.

CDs are even easier to back up (and they are digital too! :) ) - you don't have to back them up - stick em in your pc once, let iTunes (or whatever) rip them to (non restricted) mp3 and that's it. The CD is the backup.

And you can play em in your car as well. You can't do that with your pc - you have to (gasp) back up your mp3s to an extra bit of hardware.

A separate lumpy plastic backup per album that you have to store somewhere? And if you do lose all your digital, you have to re rip the lot, individually? No thanks.

You can argue the toss as much as you like, plopping digital music onto plastics days are numbered, its a daft and wasteful idea and there's no future in it.

A separate lumpy plastic backup per album that you have to store somewhere? And if you do lose all your digital, you have to re rip the lot, individually? No thanks.

You can argue the toss as much as you like, plopping digital music onto plastics days are numbered, its a daft and wasteful idea and there's no future in it.

One quick question, I don't know how long you have been in IT for, but how may programs / games that you bought 20 years ago will run on a current PC? How do you know Microshite will not team up with the music industry in a few years time and make it so that MP3s, etc. will no longer play forcing you to not only buy new software, but pay again for your music?

One quick question, I don't know how long you have been in IT for, but how may programs / games that you bought 20 years ago will run on a current PC? How do you know Microshite will not team up with the music industry in a few years time and make it so that MP3s, etc. will no longer play forcing you to not only buy new software, but pay again for your music?

What, like what the music and movie industry have done with LP/Cassette to CD and Video to DVD to Blu Ray?

The music I download is drm free, I can copy it, they can't take it away. Steam games are playable offline and they can be backed up locally. Xbox digital downloads grant me a license to my 360 and to my live ID so I can play them offline, and I can use a provided transfer kit to move them also.

We're just talking, realistically, about a delivery method. You think squirting it onto a plastic disk and shipping it to a shop where you walk in, buy it, pick it up, and take it home is better than me one clicking online and having the song on my computer and mp3 player. I've not seen anything to persuade me that returning to horrible cd storage hell is worth it.

On the opposite side across from Halfords, Ikea and Decathlon - before you get to the Wagamama

Don't even joke about that! I'm not sure I could stop myself from burning Douglas town centre to the ground were a Wagamama to open, and it's so hard to stop after you start burning stuff down.

Is that you Phil (Gawne)?

My current unabridged audio book from Audible.co.uk (Amazon) is just slightly over 11 hours. My previous book was nearly 20 hours. That makes way more sense as an instant download than as a pile of plastic discs.

I don't want to be bothered ripping that many discs and I certainly don't want all that clutter. Especially if I'm travelling / driving.

My current unabridged audio book from Audible.co.uk (Amazon) is just slightly over 11 hours. My previous book was nearly 20 hours. That makes way more sense as an instant download than as a pile of plastic discs.

I don't want to be bothered ripping that many discs and I certainly don't want all that clutter. Especially if I'm travelling / driving.

Plus, no more buying albums for one song. You just buy that one song for pennies, bosh!

And podcasts, I love podcasts!

Horrible CD Storage hell? I think you exaggerate somewhat.

I've roughly 2,000 albums. In cd cases, that's a pile that's over 30 meters tall. DVD and Game cases are even larger. I don't want or need that plastic.

Only if your CD cases are 1.5cm thick... usually they're 1cm, so that's a pile 20 metres tall

Archived