Is This The New Occupier Of Woolworths Building?

ramseyrocks

It's good for the environment,

Yes, I will accept that without too much argument

it's good for me as an end user,

How? I prefer to have a hard backup of any media, in case of disc crashes (having been caught out before). If digital distribution brought the cost of the end product down then maybe yes but I've seen no evidence of that yet.

it's good for the artist.

Really? In what way?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How? I prefer to have a hard backup of any media, in case of disc crashes (having been caught out before). If digital distribution brought the cost of the end product down then maybe yes but I've seen no evidence of that yet.

I find my mp3's much easier to backup if they're digital, I don't have to faff around with disks, in fact I no longer have a CD or DVD player in my pc. I just sync my mp3s offsite, bosh.

For games, I use steam and xbla, and I don't have to worry about backups at all, because they include unlmited downloads. For steam this rules, I install steam on a new pc, and re-download all my games. Perfect. Far more convenient than having disks.

It does bring the cost down, a new mp3 album released on amazon is about 2 quid cheaper than a cd. Games on steam are often cheaper, for example Bioshock 2 was released today, 34.99 on DVD at Game, £29.99 via steam.

Really? In what way?

Good for the artist: Wider audience, not having to cut in manufacturing, distribution and retail means they earn more. For games and software it's working really well, loads of indy houses chucking out quality games and not having to worry about publishing and distribution. Indy games on Steam and Xbox live are pulling in great numbers with a large slice going directly to the developer.

It does bring the cost down, a new mp3 album released on amazon is about 2 quid cheaper than a cd. Games on steam are often cheaper, for example Bioshock 2 was released today, 34.99 on DVD at Game, £29.99 via steam.

Bioshock 2 for PC £24.99 from play.com free delivery

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/5307540/Bi...-2/Product.html

Sorry to burst that bubble :P

I find my mp3's much easier to backup if they're digital, I don't have to faff around with disks, in fact I no longer have a CD or DVD player in my pc. I just sync my mp3s offsite, bosh.

For games, I use steam and xbla, and I don't have to worry about backups at all, because they include unlmited downloads. For steam this rules, I install steam on a new pc, and re-download all my games. Perfect. Far more convenient than having disks.

Really? In what way?

Good for the artist: Wider audience, not having to cut in manufacturing, distribution and retail means they earn more. For games and software it's working really well, loads of indy houses chucking out quality games and not having to worry about publishing and distribution. Indy games on Steam and Xbox live are pulling in great numbers with a large slice going directly to the developer.

Ok so what about when Steam goes under? Or whom ever you bought your MP3s from goes under? you lose access to what ever you bought.

What if the company that you bought your game/album/ebook from decides they don't have rights any more and revoke access with no refund?

True Steam and XBLA are a good proving ground for indy developers.

Steam is often significantly more expensive than buying a physical copy, and XBLA games on demand is close to extortion, £20 for games you can pick up for less than a fiver? Also Steam is a horrible nannying interfering piece of software which has pushed me away from PC gaming through several painfully bad experiences.

If you like not having control of your media collection then by all means DD is fine, if you want to know that album/game/film you buy today will still be there for you in 10 years then maybe not.

I find my mp3's much easier to backup if they're digital,

Yes, those analogue MP3s are a bugger to back up :D

I don't have to faff around with disks, in fact I no longer have a CD or DVD player in my pc. I just sync my mp3s offsite, bosh.

CDs are even easier to back up (and they are digital too! :) ) - you don't have to back them up - stick em in your pc once, let iTunes (or whatever) rip them to (non restricted) mp3 and that's it. The CD is the backup.

And you can play em in your car as well. You can't do that with your pc - you have to (gasp) back up your mp3s to an extra bit of hardware.

In a similar vein... BBC - Warner to quit free music streaming

Record label Warner Music has said it will stop licensing its songs to free music streaming services.

Companies like Spotify, We7 and Last.fm give free, legal and instant access to millions of songs, funded by adverts.

Warner, one of the four major labels, whose artists include REM and Michael Buble, said such services were "clearly not positive for the industry".

That raises questions over the future of free streaming, which is popular with fans but not lucrative for labels.

And you can play em in your car as well. You can't do that with your pc - you have to (gasp) back up your mp3s to an extra bit of hardware.

I'm going to guess that most new cars now have either / both iPod dock / 3.5mm socket / USB / bluetooth. And if they don't it costs very little to add in an adapter via the old fashioned CD multi-changer port.

It's way better than having to bother with discs. The less clutter the better IMO.

Anyhow - none of this makes any difference. The point is that plastic discs have no future as a distribution medium significant enough to support physical stores - whether or not some people still like them. So it's an economic thing.

Better than most of the half-witted excuses for cafes and restaurants we get here then?

Are you mental? Spill the Beans et al wipe the floor with the sterile brushed steel dross wrapped up in a flakey 'mission statement' that is the average Pret A Manger (and The Caff, for all those that may knock it, is about a thousand times nicer a place to sit in than the likes of Café Nero etc). Similarly, there are plenty of restaurants superior to Wagamama on the Island (MacFarlanes, La Piazza, etc).

"Are you mental?" Are you insulting/offending persons who suffer from psychiatric illnesses?

Looks like it is true......

http://www.peoplebank.com/pb3/corporate/Sp...orld/index.html

Can't see Intersport lasting too long though

not another shoe shop :lol:

Search Results

Headline Location Published

*NEW STORE* ISLE OF MAN, Footwear Manager Up to £26.000 OTE 05/02/2010

*NEW STORE* ISLE OF MAN, Shoe Department Supervisor, Up to £21.500 OTE 05/02/2010

*NEW STORE* ISLE OF MAN, Casual Sales Assistant, Up to £6.24PH 05/02/2010

*NEW STORE* ISLE OF MAN, Floor Supervisor Up to £21.500 OTE 05/02/2010

*NEW STORE* ISLE OF MAN, Assistant Manager Up to £26.000 OTE 05/02/2010

*NEW STORE* ISLE OF MAN, Store Manager, Up to £32,500 OTE 05/02/2010

i cant see them lasting long either with wages like above and the rents and other costs. a lot of money to take before a return, even i know that am i am just a humble worker

On the opposite side across from Halfords, Ikea and Decathlon - before you get to the Wagamama

Don't even joke about that! I'm not sure I could stop myself from burning Douglas town centre to the ground were a Wagamama to open, and it's so hard to stop after you start burning stuff down.

I might help you. Wagamama is crap. The one in Manchester (at the Printworks) has to one of the most awful eating experiences I've had. Mediocre, asian-stylee food in a massive school canteen, a CANTEEN. I just had the impression that it was designed for students who want a quick, cheap snack. Not much more. Certainly not an eating experience to really look forward to.

Spill the Beans et al wipe the floor with the sterile brushed steel dross wrapped up in a flakey 'mission statement' that is the average Pret A Manger (and The Caff, for all those that may knock it, is about a thousand times nicer a place to sit in than the likes of Café Nero etc).
And that's what I think is good about Douglas. I have noticed quite a number of small independent cafes have opened up. Thank fuck it is Starbucks or Cafe Nero. They're not particularly comfortable places to go, the drinks are expensive and the snacks are just extortionate. Paying so much to be in a cafe ruins the experience.

On the opposite side across from Halfords, Ikea and Decathlon - before you get to the Wagamama

Don't even joke about that! I'm not sure I could stop myself from burning Douglas town centre to the ground were a Wagamama to open, and it's so hard to stop after you start burning stuff down.

I might help you. Wagamama is crap. The one in Manchester (at the Printworks) has to one of the most awful eating experiences I've had. Mediocre, asian-stylee food in a massive school canteen, a CANTEEN. I just had the impression that it was designed for students who want a quick, cheap snack. Not much more. Certainly not an eating experience to really look forward to.

I've eaten at the Wagamama at the Printworks and can confirm it was crap.

they've pretty much got the highstreet to themselves now and the highstreet will be around for a long time.

Nobody is going to be buying plastic discs. In order to survive they would have to find a new business.

yep buying things on disks is a thing of tha past in a few years time,

like look at the amount of music done online,

games and films are catching them up,

wont be long till there is no real market for the likes of HMV

Digital downloads/purchases can take place in a store. The point still remains they can no doubt easily make more money expanding on the IOM than it would cost in rent and fitting out that store. Also I think the death of the pysical medium is further off than most people think. It's the mind set of owning something pysical - especially when it comes to more expensive items such as games and blu-ray.

Archived