Quarterbridge Roundabout - So Who's In The Wrong?

manxy

Hey...don't shoot the messenger. It's obviously more complicated than that, because there IS a dispute.

I'm just trying to uncomplicate matters and point them in the right direction so the dispute can be resolved. I believe things like this issue with the Highway Code just cloud the situation even more and the OP needs to concentrate on the simple facts and taking it the the next level if necessary.

No offence meant to you Albert.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The driver of the car coming from Mcdonalds was probably on the phone and eating his cold burger , so Mcdonalds are to blame for telling him to come back for a hot one SIMPLES :lol:

Thanks for your replies.

Reference Albert, the car was indicating in the right hand lane and was travelling very slowly around the white dot as you cannot go fast at all to make the turn.

Car B hit car A's front bumper.

Car B's driver was in a hurry to get to work and was apparently late (afternoon)

We attended the scene and all occupants stated that they were ok, with no problems although Car A appears to be a right off

Police were called, but they did not attend as it was a minor RTA and no persons were hurt.

My hubs and I tried the same manoeuvre three times using car A's route and unbelievably, on two occasions, one car and one bike pulled out.

One dodgy roundabout

Personnally,although its legal, i would never attempt a u-turn on a mini roundabout.Its asking for trouble.

The trouble with them is you little time to react to cars not doing what you expect them to do.Also,unlike large(proper) round-abouts where you only have to look to your right on mini-roundabouts you not only have to be paying attention to who is approaching from the right but also to your left as cars can enter and leave the roundabout in seconds. Another thing that adds to the confusion is many people indicate right when going straight on so people become accustomed into thinking that cars entering the roundabout indicating right are probably going to go straight on and not do a u-turn.

I sympathise with your friend as it was a legal manouvre,but a suicidal one,especially at QB.

My hubs and I tried the same manoeuvre three times using car A's route and unbelievably, on two occasions, one car and one bike pulled out.

One dodgy roundabout

I agree with the insurance company. Anyone who commits themselves to such an unusual manoeuvre, unusual for this particular roundabout that is, without being able to stop in time for those coming from QB road who have incorrectly predicted car A's intentions are not altogether free of blame. They have clearly demonstrated that they are a bigger risk for insurance purposes.

Simple -

Car B failed to give way to a vehicle already on a round-about and turning right. It does not matter where car A started from or where it was going to end up. It was on the round-about and therefore had right of way.

Not a knock for knock - simple 3rd party claim against car Bs insurance company.

One dodgy roundabout

I agree with the insurance company. Anyone who commits themselves to such an unusual manoeuvre, unusual for this particular roundabout that is, without being able to stop in time for those coming from QB road who have incorrectly predicted car A's intentions are not altogether free of blame. They have clearly demonstrated that they are a bigger risk for insurance purposes.

I have to agree with Stavros and x-in-man, because thats the way I see it as well.

From McDonalds, you are not allowed to turn right towards the centre (although I've seen people do it many times) and therefore the roundabout appears to be the correct manoeuvre.

Car B IMO, should not have pulled out until it was safe to do so as Car A had already completed over two thirds of the manoeuvre.

If the insurance company of Car B still holds out for 50/50, what options are left?

X-Man has it correct - if you are waiting to move on to a roundabout, cars on the roundabout have right of way, regardless of where they entered the roundabout and whether they have indicated correctly or not - the clue is in the 'give way' lines painted on the roud. Car B is totally at fault.

If the insurance company of Car B still holds out for 50/50, what options are left?

If it is a UK insurer, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service and tell them that you're also going to notify the Financial Services Authority.

If it's an Isle of Man insurer, you can contact the The Financial Services Ombudsman Scheme and notify the Insurance and Pensions Authority

You can PM me if you want to as you still have the additional option of issuing proceedings against them if you still can't resolve it.

Thanks for your replies.

Reference Albert, the car was indicating in the right hand lane and was travelling very slowly around the white dot as you cannot go fast at all to make the turn.

Car B's driver was in a hurry to get to work and was apparently late (afternoon)

We attended the scene and all occupants stated that they were ok, with no problems although Car A appears to be a right off

Police were called, but they did not attend as it was a minor RTA and no persons were hurt.

One dodgy roundabout

Yes it all seems pretty straightforward then, if all was as the 'facts' were. Guy already on the roundabout in the clear.

So I don't understand the 50/50 issue, unless the other guy has a specific contention that you haven't mentioned, or maybe even don't know, about. Have you seen his version?

Thanks for your replies.

One dodgy roundabout

Yes it all seems pretty straightforward then, if all was as the 'facts' were. Guy already on the roundabout in the clear.

So I don't understand the 50/50 issue, unless the other guy has a specific contention that you haven't mentioned, or maybe even don't know, about. Have you seen his version?

You made a good point Albert, as my relation has not seen the other persons version.

Also reference to Stavros, we understand that both drivers used 'large' UK insurance companies.

Car B 99% at fault. Whilst not advisable to U turn on a mini roundabout it's legal. On the roundabout, car A has right of way over any car entering the roundabout. This is just an insurance company dodge to save work. They don't care how much it will cost you in the future. Ask the company what their complaint procedure is and follow it all the way to the CEO if necessary in a calm manner. If that fails then it's the financial ombudsman. No legal cover I take it, if not its £10 well spent in the future.

Archived