Quarterbridge Roundabout - So Who's In The Wrong?

manxy

my biggest gripe is when there is a line of parked cars on your side of the road, you start to pass because nothing is in sight or is a good distance away coming the other direction, you have just about cleared the line of cars and the idiot coming the other way either speeds up or carries on coming and blocks the exit and then there is nowhere for you to go, so, the road is blocked.

I am fully aware that the car with the blocked carriageway should give way, but how? When you are almost past the blockage it proves the road was clear when you started the process of overtaking.

One of the worst places for this is outside Sulby church when there is an event on there.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

my biggest gripe is when there is a line of parked cars on your side of the road, you start to pass because nothing is in sight or is a good distance away coming the other direction, you have just about cleared the line of cars and the idiot coming the other way either speeds up or carries on coming and blocks the exit and then there is nowhere for you to go, so, the road is blocked.

I am fully aware that the car with the blocked carriageway should give way, but how? When you are almost past the blockage it proves the road was clear when you started the process of overtaking.

One of the worst places for this is outside Sulby church when there is an event on there.

And north shore road!

23 hours ago, P.K. said:

Good job I'm driving the wife's car atm.

My driving style on island is strictly "no prisoners" therefore if you think you can get away with it you will find me in your way. And as you'll be hitting me, well, bad luck.

Experienced drivers know that cars have "body language" for want of a better expression. And I've reached the time in my life where I couldn't give a flying. The only thing I care about is not bending her cabriolet....!

Yea my Porsche has a body language alright

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

They clearly don't have right of way if you already have the road and are in the process of performing the manoeuvre. There is no obligation on you to stop and wait for somebody who has not reached the obstruction. They only have right of way over you if you both arrive at the same time and the obstruction is on your side. Of course, it is courteous to stop and allow them through if they are in sight and only a very few seconds away.

An old man’s view :

As you start your engine in the morning  reflect that you start the day with a certain amount of emotional and nervous  currency.Hopefully, you begin in credit.

When you reach work, you have to get through  a tedious working day, paying out.

Hopefully, you  will still  be in sufficient positive balance on returning home to enjoy your time off with my family and do whatever else it is  that also emotionally  credits your account.

Don’t squander your  precious emotional and nervous  currency dueling with  other road users.Give way. Let them through.It doesn’t matter .Who cares? View them as silly  spendthrifts of  the emotional and nervous energy that  you know must be conserved for dealing with  the far more important things in life.

Not bludgeoning the fact   you are right might save injury, months  of tedious insurance  wrangling ,waiting for the panel beater to return your car, an increased  premium, and an in-affordable drain   on your emotional and nervous reserves.

-Just for the sake of waiting a second an a half.

21 hours ago, finlo said:

And north shore road!

It'll stop for a good few weeks shortly, it's in line for a DOI dig up/makeover.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:05 PM, doc.fixit said:

One of the worst places for this is outside Sulby church  Colby where someone always parks on the bend.

One of the worst places for this is outside Sulby church  Colby where someone always parks right on the bend.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:17 PM, woolley said:

They clearly don't have right of way if you already have the road and are in the process of performing the manoeuvre. There is no obligation on you to stop and wait for somebody who has not reached the obstruction. They only have right of way over you if you both arrive at the same time and the obstruction is on your side. Of course, it is courteous to stop and allow them through if they are in sight and only a very few seconds away.

But what would you do if you were on a driving test ?

Archived