Quarterbridge Roundabout - So Who's In The Wrong?

manxy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My usual rule applies here.

The DoT (or whatever name they are now hiding behind) are in the wrong. They have failed to provide a fit-for-purpose, safe solution to traffic management at the Quarterbridge.

it works fine, you just have to know how to use it properly. but i'm in the camp that U turns on mini roundabouts is not a great idea even though legal/ok on paper.it isn't like missing an exit on a motorway and adding 15 miles to your journey. you'd add between 1/2 or maybe 3/4 at most, not really a big problem???

I suggest putting your burger on the dashboard, flooring it, tweek the steering wheel to get the back swinging and then full handbrake while dropping down to second ready for the wheelspin away after the 180 turn. Bit of practice and you should be able to turn around fine in that small area and catch ya burger as it flies across the dash.

I suggest putting your burger on the dashboard, flooring it, tweek the steering wheel to get the back swinging and then full handbrake while dropping down to second ready for the wheelspin away after the 180 turn. Bit of practice and you should be able to turn around fine in that small area and catch ya burger as it flies across the dash.

Yeah. But.

How do you flick the bastard satanic fuckin' gherkins out of the window whilst doing this Mr Smartypants?

Maybe that's what caused the crash?

Whilst it seems that Car B has technically failed to give way to Car A, I think the fact that Car A has done a U turn (perfectly legally though) without thinking "I better slow down a bit and make sure that everyone is aware I am doing a 360 instead of simply turning up QB road" may give the driver of Car B some benefit.

Next time you go down QB road intending to turn left towards McDonalds, have a think about how often you do this and see a car turning from McDonalds way up QB road, which acts as a "blocker" and means you can then complete your manouvre. Then imagine how much conjestion would be caused if everytime you did this you suddenly thought "what if the car is doing a 360" and so waited until it did turn up QB road by which time traffic from Peel/South would now be on the roundabout and you have to wait again.

I have only one done a 360 at that location (the same as Car A) and basically stopped on the roundabout after not turning up QB road to make sure that the drivers coming down QB Road to go towards McDonalds (from where Car B came from) know 100% what I am intending to do. If I was the driver of Car A and involved in the accident then I personally would feel "partially" responsible for the accident. I know that legally I am in the clear as it's my right of way, but knowing the roundabout and out of respect for the other road users, I would have exercised extreme caution during the final part of the 360 turn - from failing to turn up QB road like the other 99.999% of motorists would expect and instead going all the way around.

If the driver of Car A has slowed down to 2 or 3 miles per hour, or did basically stop and almost make eye contact with Car B, and then Car B still managed to drive into Car A then I agree Car B is fully in the wrong. If Car A expected to make the 360 manouvre thinking "sod it - it's my right of way" then they deserve to shoulder some of the blame.

The DoT (or whatever name they are now hiding behind) are in the wrong. They have failed to provide a fit-for-purpose, safe solution to traffic management at the Quarterbridge.

Just because you and three quarters of the population here have not got a clue how to use a roundabout correctly does not make the traffic management at a junction wrong, but it does bring into question the standard of driving tuition.

Just because you and three quarters of the population here have not got a clue how to use a roundabout correctly does not make the traffic management at a junction wrong, but it does bring into question the standard of driving tuition.

Please read it again.

1. I rarely pass that way, so you must have spent a lot of time just loitering there in order to have analysed my driving technique.
  2. I did not say that QB roundabout is wrong.
  3. I did say it is unsafe and, if your figures are correct, it only serves one quarter of the population correctly.

• 9 years later...

This morning I was beeped at for cutting someone up at the Ballasalla round about. If you cut across the roundabout rather than driving around it you will be more likely to get cut up by cars who preempted your driving around the round about (rather than over it). Silly man. 

When we have visitors, we warn them it can be a bit different driving in the Isle of Man.

1.In general, drivers  here tend to be   very  much more courteous  and less  aggressive than UK city drivers and are more likely to offer help if something goes wrong.

However,

2 Many tend to be less aware of what is happening  around them in traffic.

3 They don’t anticipate other drivers actions.

4 Above all.. Roundabouts.Treat  all roundabouts as “one-offs” .Normal rules simply do not apply :

-Do not presume anything based on another car’s  signaling near or on a roundabout.Right  or left , no matter in what lane it is in.Don’t .It can mean anything or nothing.

- They remember that  over forty-five years ago, before a round-about was built, there  was a give way there.So if they are on the “bigger road” , instead  of slowing as they approach,  they speed up to narrowly miss anything already on the roundabout to  firmly assert the historical right of way and maintain the tradition.

5 minutes ago, hampsterkahn said:

When we have visitors, we warn them it can be a bit different driving in the Isle of Man.

1.In general, drivers  here tend to be   very  much more courteous  and less  aggressive than UK city drivers and are more likely to offer help if something goes wrong.

However,

2 Many tend to be less aware of what is happening  around them in traffic.

3 They don’t anticipate other drivers actions.

4 Above all.. Roundabouts.Treat  all roundabouts as “one-offs” .Normal rules simply do not apply :

-Do not presume anything based on another car’s  signaling near or on a roundabout.Right  or left , no matter in what lane it is in.Don’t .It can mean anything or nothing.

- They remember that  over forty-five years ago, before a round-about was built, there  was a give way there.So if they are on the “bigger road” , instead  of slowing as they approach,  they speed up to narrowly miss anything already on the roundabout to  firmly assert the historical right of way and maintain the tradition.

I would love to quote Roly Drowers piece on the QB, but I am in Spain and the file is on my PC. Can anyone else post it ?

8 hours ago, 2bees said:

This morning I was beeped at for cutting someone up at the Ballasalla round about. If you cut across the roundabout rather than driving around it you will be more likely to get cut up by cars who preempted your driving around the round about (rather than over it). Silly man. 

34 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

i have noticed an increase in drivers beeping their horns recently, not just at me but at others, for tiny little things, not even dangerous. aggression breeds aggression, the next one that does it to me is getting sliced up.

It's very clear what has happened here. Stinky was the silly man involved and is now trying to lay a false trail of indignation on Bees behalf to put her off the scent. Cad!

Archived