Quarterbridge Roundabout - So Who's In The Wrong?

manxy

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you aproach QB roundabout from Douglas you are given three choices for when you reach the roundabout,dependant upon the lane you choose.

Turn left,straight on or turn right,you are indicating which way you will be going at the roundabout,taken with Highway code advice not to do a u-turn at mini roundabouts the way car A was driven was a contributary factor to the accident.

I don't know the legal position,but it was certainly a factor in the accident,hence the 50/50?

As you aproach QB roundabout from Douglas you are given three choices for when you reach the roundabout,dependant upon the lane you choose.

Turn left,straight on or turn right,you are indicating which way you will be going at the roundabout,taken with Highway code advice not to do a u-turn at mini roundabouts the way car A was driven was a contributary factor to the accident.

I don't know the legal position,but it was certainly a factor in the accident,hence the 50/50?

Just out of interest Fred, if you were in McDonalds and had to go to Douglas town centre, how would you do it?

Would you use the roundabout and do a legitimate and legal Uturn

Or turn left at the roundabout towards Castletown, left at the lights and past the NSC that leads over the bridge and turn right onto the same road you were on 5 minutes ago

Or turn right up towards Bray Hill and right at the traffic lights

Or do an illegal turn at McDonalds and turn right?

------------

ref Sarah, Albany and NIG

Manxy

I would likely turn left and back round by pulrose,adds a couple of minutes?

Even though what I would do is immaterial,but personally I would never consider doing a u-turn at that particular roundabout.

Don't really like mini roundabouts,to often missused.

Personally, I'd do the U-turn and people wishing to join should take into consideration the points listed below

Driving Test link

Mini Roundabouts

# Approach these in the same way as a normal roundabout, but remember there is less space and time to signal and manoeuvre.

# Vehicles coming towards you, they may want to turn right.

# Be sure any vehicle on the roundabout is going to leave before you join the roundabout yourself.

# Be aware of drivers that are using it for a 'U turn'

# All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so.

Sounds similar

Personally, I think that you're making more out of this than is necessary. It's a simple claim and you're complicating things with all the additional factors. PM me if you're interested in really solving this.

They aren't "choices" they are directions to allow people to navigate to various destinations.

Here is the legal position, as said above - cars waiting to join the roundabout MUST give way to cars already on the roundabout, regardless of where they joined the roundabout or wish to leave the roundabout.

Look at it this way: if you drove on to a main road from a side road without giving way and hit a car already on the main road you would be legally at fault. Exactly the same principle applies if you drive across the give way markings at the edge of the roundabout and hit a car already travelling on the roundabout.

i do them all the time, i actually quite enjoy doing them for the simple fact is someone will pull out on me and i get to use the olde horn. Its a real shame that when i do need to make said turn that i have to be prepared to come to a full stop on a roundabout, definately not safe either way, but why the hell should i not do it just because the majority of people don't know how to use a roundabout? The clue is in the name, roundabout, although i think the real people at fault here are the idiots who designed it......thought they were re-doing it anyway?

Excellent repetition of all the advice already given. Shame you didn't bother reading the whole thread
I did and I said what I then thought in the way I thought it. That's what forums are for, innit? Your return post contributed absolutely nothing except for 'having a go'. Well done.

Or do an illegal turn at McDonalds and turn right?

Just a slight point manxy, as someone else said the no right turn markings there is on private property and I do believe there is no regulatory signage to accompany itunless it, has the backing of the highways dept it can only be guidance and not illegal

Archived