Deemster Kerruish Dies

Lonan3

Deemster Kerruish

This is really sad news. I knew Mike well. We were at school together at DHSB and we also worked together for Jim Mitchell's grocery shop - taking turns to deliver groceries on a carrier bike.

He was a genuinely nice bloke who never got 'above himself.'

I was in partnership with Mike from 1985 until he became Attorney General in 1993. He was one of the best advocates and a true friend. He built up a wide and varied paractice and had time for every one, from every walk of life.

His acheivements are too long to set out in full, but apart from being First Deemster and Deputy Governor and having been Second Deemster, Attorney General and an Advocate, he had been in the RAF and had been a bus driver proudly the possessor of a PSV licence. Not many lawyers, let alone judges, can say that.

I shall miss him.

My condolences to Marianne, Daniel and Summer and his extended family

He was a man of great integrity who, totally anonymously, helped me and no doubt did the same for many others. Only later did I realise who had helped me. I am very sad to hear of his passing and my thoughts are with his family.

I knew Mike for many years, such a warm and fair bloke who had time for everyone. Hadn't seen him since he became ill unfortunately, it would be so much better to have paid tribute to him face to face.

My thoughts are with Marriane, Daniel and Summer at this sad time.

I knew Mike for many years, such a warm and fair bloke who had time for everyone. Hadn't seen him since he became ill unfortunately, it would be so much better to have paid tribute to him face to face.

My thoughts are with Marriane, Daniel and Summer at this sad time.

Ditto; a sad loss for the IoM.

Thank you all so much for your comments. You obviously knew Mike and appreciated his qualities. I have passed a print out of this thread to Marianne, Daniel and Summer and they were overwhelmed by your kindness and thank you all for your comments and thoughts.

If you didn't know Mike, you may wonder what all the fuss was about, but he was such a genuine person, from humble origins, who got where he did by hard work, a brilliant mind and with integrity. And always with humour and always laughing.

He never forgot who he was or where he came from and treated high and low with equal respect and courtesy.

Thank you all again for your comments.

Edit to add - to those who did not know Mike, I have added a post of my Parish Walk blog:

http://dudley-thelongestday.blogspot.com/

I have had the pleasure of working with D1 since my interview back in 2001, and since then I have either worked in Court with him or stopped to chat in the corridors at the Courthouse. He was always a genuinely down to earth chap, who always loved to stop and chat, as he was a fierce defender of the roll of the Coroners.

Being on duty during a trial with Mike was always interesting as the only person he was able to chat to about what was developing in court was the Coroner’s and he took great delight in explaining what tactics he was expecting to be used by the Advocates and he was always right! Many a time I’ve sat in court having had a chat with Mike and as the case developed as he predicted he would look across the court and give a sly wink to show he was right.

People are often described as being a hard act to follow, well in my opinion he will be an impossible act to follow.

Truly missed by all the Coroner’s, Lockmen and their staff.

RIP D1

I would say that Mike Kerruish's young fella did an excellent job with the eulogy. Nicely summed up, a good, eventful and full life, so succinctly.

Good on ya' lad.

I would say that Mike Kerruish's young fella did an excellent job with the eulogy. Nicely summed up, a good, eventful and full life, so succinctly.

Good on ya' lad.

Daniel did brilliantly - he got a round of applause in the pub later, but that was a bit late.

Mike's an irreplaceable character. It was an absolute pleasure and an honour knowing him. I was lucky enough to know him well, and he had a big, positive effect on me. Following his death it became apparent that he affected many others in the same way.

He genuinely didn't think he was better than anyone else. But he actually was. So many good memories. And none bad. Wish my kid would have had the opportunity to spend time with him too.

Archived