Town Characters

Max Power

Shaky....just a few Ramsey characters in my lifetime.....

I bought Shakey's old leather jacket. Paid well over the odds and once it was cleaned up and re-lined. What an ace retro jacket and then worth the money.

Had a lot of time for Shakey. Is he still about?

Shirt off his back - nah!

Is Milb still knocking around Ramsey? Second to last time I saw Milb he had just had half of one of his ears bitten off, second time he was in a wheelchair :(

well i suppose now we have:

the chinese woman who walks up and down the prom with her dog in the pram.

Not for long. I spoke to her this morning. It's not true about the dog having arthritis. She won't let it walk because she is fattening it up to top it for a communal feast. She reckons that 'Fish & Chips' are o.k. but you can't beat the old traditional 'Dog and Flied Lice'.

No offence intended here, just posting random thoughts. That is it, thank you.

Who is the woman that wears several different outfits each day, and walks through town shouting abuse at nobody in particular? I love her.

I think that's Sandra.

What about Mr Zombie? Tall bloke that wears a kagool and trainers, & glasses, mouth usually open - seems to walk up & down the prom a lot. Just kinda looks like he should have his arms stretched out in front and repeatedly mumble about brains. Sure he's a nice chap really.

And I haven't seen Prof Karl Heinz Wolff about for a bit.

There's a bloke that looks like a cross between Arfur Daley and a Russian Mafia boss too - big hat, thick jacket, and usually seems to have a big stogie in his gob too.

Is Milb still knocking around Ramsey? Second to last time I saw Milb he had just had half of one of his ears bitten off, second time he was in a wheelchair :(

Yep, Milbs still about. Had a good chat (or possibly slur) with him one Saturday night not long ago. Also remember Buck-Teeth from my younger days around Ramsey too, usually found out walking with Gidder Wook if memory served me correct. Think his real name was Alan.

Shaky....just a few Ramsey characters in my lifetime.....

I bought Shakey's old leather jacket. Paid well over the odds and once it was cleaned up and re-lined. What an ace retro jacket and then worth the money.

Had a lot of time for Shakey. Is he still about?

Shirt off his back - nah!

Both still to be seen frequenting the Ramsey hostelries of a weekend. Shaky been a commissioner for years now.

Willie Craig, stonecutter, tall thin chap used to live in the little shack (condemned) on the corner half way up the Lhergy Cripperty hill, no mains services, used to get water from the ditch across the road. Family lost their money in the Dumbells Bank crash.

A very droll chap, my Mum used to talk to him when he came in where she worked, he once told the tale of when he was cutting a new inscription in a tombstone on a grave in the 'Borough', and as it was low down he had to dig a hole so he could sit low enough. He had been working away for quite a while and was all dusty from the stone chippings, and stood up to stretch his legs. A lady coming up the path got a fright seeing this dusty grey chap suddenly appear and said "I thought you just got out of that grave", to which he replied "I did, you get a bit stiff when you've been in there a while".

He seemed puzzled that she ran off !

Both still to be seen frequenting the Ramsey hostelries of a weekend. Shaky been a commissioner for years now.

As long as (especially milb) those two are still knocking about and the Central has the 30~? year old pictures of the Lamb's Navy rum girls on their walls - all is right with the world.

I'm feeling kind of homesick now. Just need grumpy Rog after a hard day on the trams and I'm there.

Others in Ramsey will remember Johnnie and Josie Hampton (the pair of black rooks from the bottom end of the shipyard) and The Lone Ranger - can't remember his name but he lived in a pig sty out Aust way and was never seen without his sack of ferrets,