A Cautionary Tesco Tale

Lonan3

For gods sake you guys, if you take off the wastage from overbuying, overpackaging, over priced special offers, impulse buying. 'oooh thats a nice TV, we need one for the toilet'!!!, then you are better of shopping on Woodbourne Terrace, the Islands secret supermarket, good butcher and robbos open till six, Coop, Howards open til late, wine shop ( you get what you pay for), 500 take aways if you're in a lazy mood.

What more could you need?

Somewhere to park. THAT'S why the supermarkets and out-of-town sites do so well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could park at Tesco and walk to Woodbourne Terrace it's only five minutes away. Or the Prom, or Shaw's Brow, or M&S or Chester Street or 101 other places within a short walk. Or get a bus from outside.

I never considered shopping on Woodbourne Terrace, but might be an option at lunch time.

The Terrace shops are handy and I use them quite a lot, plus the butchers there is very good. A lot of the Tesco 'offers' aren't as good as they look. The tins of tuna for example are cheaper if you buy 4 separate tins as oppose to the pack of 4 - sometimes the offers cost more than buying the individuals or smaller packs to make up the same amount.

Oh God... more Tesco bashing. If you don't like them... DON'T GO THERE. Pretty simple really :blink:

It's okay Steve. I'm sure the shareholders are all big boys and girls and withstand a bit of criticism of their investment.

If people think a particular business or some aspect of that business is a bit crap, why shouldn't they talk about it? Also, I'm fairly confident that no-one on here believes that they have to shop at Tesco, so I'm not sure what purpose your great revelation serves (other than demonstrate a strange emotional connection with a huge impersonal corporate entity).

Despite the woes of Tesco, they do add some choice which is what we are crying for - however, no excuse for poor service, I would suspect that the Manager concerned is under-trained and something of "CannonFodder" for Tesco - the whole ethos of Tesco has been "stack it high and sell it cheep" - I know, I used to work for them in the 1980's - I would only describe the time as working in a sweatshop with many false promises - I doubt if much has changed since then.

Err, how does that demonstrate an emotional connection to Tecso?

The "Oh God", the exhasperated capping on 'don't go there', and so on - it's an emotional response. In fact, Ziggy says there's a 78% chance that it's the response of someone who dresses up in Tesco bags and want to marry Bob Hoskins. Nevertheless, I take your point and in the spirit of your post, here's a list of things people shouldn't complain about or criticise:

The Government - Oh god! Don't vote for them! Simples.

The Weather - Oh god! Don't go outside! Simples.

Skynet and the impending robocalypse - Oh god! Don't build a supercomputer capable of gaining sentience and hook it up to the internet! Simples.

People harmlessly complaining about X on some internet forum - Oh god! Don't read that thread! Simples.

Ziggy says there's a 78% chance

Quantum Leap - I used to like that program :)

On the subject of where to shop (or not as this seems to be), the Robinsons warehouse place up by B&Q is great for getting unusual stuff for cooking. I've found things there that I could not find in Tesco or Shoprite when cooking Mexican recipes.

Mexican dishes, guacamoggy mmmmmmm.

parking for the terrace shops is a prob, even if more short term parking were created, we would probably abuse it?

This and other areas could do with some consideration of local parking in exchange for their extra rates but how and where? We're basically lazy aren't we? If we can't find a park near the terrace, we would be more inclined to drive onto shoprite than walk a 100m!

Adding...

Actually, you have to walk 100m at Tescos don't you? Ah, but then we are on automatic and have a trolley to lean on on the way back. ( why do people do that? So sloven.)

• 5 months later...

Yesterday, my wife popped in to Tesco's to buy a fruit salad. There was an offer - blazoned across the pots - about buying a second one at a reduced price.

When she reached the checkout, however, the 'offer' didn't work.

A supervisor was summoned who blandly declared that the offer wasn't due to start for another hour or two.

Tesco's are the Ryanair of out of town parking

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1355525/Woman-took-thrown-Tesco-food-handcuffed-arrested.html

They threw food out into the street and then had a low income woman arrested when she took thrown away food to feed her family. What a shitty, shitty company. I know that its the Daily Mail and it is designed to make your blood instantly boil but what is the harm in re-using thrown out food if your kids need feeding and your short of a few bob?

Mexican dishes, guacamoggy mmmmmmm.

parking for the terrace shops is a prob, even if more short term parking were created, we would probably abuse it?

This and other areas could do with some consideration of local parking in exchange for their extra rates but how and where? We're basically lazy aren't we? If we can't find a park near the terrace, we would be more inclined to drive onto shoprite than walk a 100m!

Adding...

Actually, you have to walk 100m at Tescos don't you? Ah, but then we are on automatic and have a trolley to lean on on the way back. ( why do people do that? So sloven.)

It's way more fun when you get a run up and jump on the trolley and ride like the wind :lol: As a kid I had my Mum telling me not to do it and now as a father i have my wife telling me not to do it, but hey you gotta teach yer kids to rebel a bit :lol:

As if I need any more reasons to hate Tescos - I love never shopping there :)

...........and....... well, my friend fell over in the car park there and the manager could not have cared less about her. She is a nice lady but her husband will take 'no shit', I cannot wait to hear of the out come.

As if I need any more reasons to hate Tescos - I love never shopping there :)

...........and....... well, my friend fell over in the car park there and the manager could not have cared less about her. She is a nice lady but her husband will take 'no shit', I cannot wait to hear of the out come.

what was the manager supposed to do? I fall over sometimes. It hurts. I get on with it.

Archived