A Cautionary Tesco Tale

Lonan3

Yesterday, my wife popped in to Tesco's to buy a fruit salad. There was an offer - blazoned across the pots - about buying a second one at a reduced price.

When she reached the checkout, however, the 'offer' didn't work.

A supervisor was summoned who blandly declared that the offer wasn't due to start for another hour or two.

My wife's comment that the fruit salads, or the labels, should be removed from the shelves until the offer began was greeted with with the retort that "We couldn't possibly do that!" as the supervisor walked away. My wife was in a hurry, so she simply bought one of the items.

Not a big drama perhaps but, as the store introduces more automatic checkouts, one wonders what will happen in cases like this.

P.S. My wife is mild mannered. Had it been me, I would have had a manager summoned to attend the checkout - told him that I regarded the behaviour of the supervisor as ignorant and high-handed and insisted on the store honouring its clearly-stated offer.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had it been me, I would have had a manager summoned to attend the checkout - told him that I regarded the behaviour of the supervisor as ignorant and high-handed and insisted on the store honouring its clearly-stated offer.

95885371.jpg

ETA: to be fair (honest) we mostly all have Basil Fawlty moments

Disgracefully bad service, ignorant behaviour from a supervisor and what amounts to little more than a 'con' by a huge, money-hungry store deserves, at the very least, a Fawlty-style 'damned good thrashing!'

The new self service tills are good if you only want a few things but awkward if you have a whole trolley full.

Although the bloody thing crashed when I scanned IoM creamery milk yesterday and I had to wait for the assistant to sort it out, was fine with the other bits I had though. Once the bugs are worked out it will improve my lunchtime shopping experience no end. No if only there was a way to keep the unemployed/retired out of the store at lunch time.

I had a similar thing happen last year at Tesco.

Cases of beer were marked 2 for 1, but when I got to the till, the discount didn't show up.

Supervisor went down the ale aisle with me and it was apparent that somebody had moved the notice from another stack of beer and my Stella weren't actually on offer. However, he then applied the 2 for 1 discount anyway as a goodwill gesture.

Obviously your wife got a different supervisor.

Very poor customer service. It perhaps says more of the quality of local Tesco management than of Tesco as a whole but IMO they are the worst of the UK supermarket chains - but that is a personal opinion of course as some folk seem to love them.

I had an interesting experience with an automated teller m/c in B&Q some time ago. The machine would not take my money so a girl came along and apologised profusely. She told me that they were having difficulties with the note system accepting Manx notes. No doubt fixed but I have not been back. Seems like a basic sort of problem that you check out before letting them loose on customers (a bit like baggage handling at T5).

P.S. Lonan3 your post ably demonstrates the fact that poor service gets communicated more than good service - which is a point that the supervisor obviously doesn't know or care about.

Once the bugs are worked out it will improve my lunchtime shopping experience no end.

I wouldn't hold my breath. My local Tesco has had them for years and often at least one of the two they have is knackered and crashes/errors requiring the attention of staff remain commonplace.

IMO they are the worst of the UK supermarket chains

I agree. Service is alright at the smaller, local branches once the staff get to know you, but usually appalling at larger branches and the rugby scrum that is Tesco Metro.

As an aside, Tesco Mozarella is the worst I have ever tasted, having the same flavour and texture I'd imagine would be possessed by a compacted ball of veruca socks. Guiltless Gourmet do a nice range of imported Mozarella though.

I had an interesting experience with an automated teller m/c in B&Q some time ago. The machine would not take my money so a girl came along and apologised profusely. She told me that they were having difficulties with the note system accepting Manx notes. No doubt fixed but I have not been back. Seems like a basic sort of problem that you check out before letting them loose on customers (a bit like baggage handling at T5).

Manx money is ever so slightly different from UK money. The software for the B+Q machines is distributed from B+Q support UK. Yes, it took them ages to get it right, same thing happened in Jersey and Guernsey.

Interestingly. when a one pound is rejected, don't blame the machine. It is usually because the coin is fake :o

As an aside, Tesco Mozarella is the worst I have ever tasted, having the same flavour and texture I'd imagine would be possessed by a compacted ball of veruca socks. Guiltless Gourmet do a nice range of imported Mozarella though.

Agree on Tesco Mozerella, but I prefer the really big balls of buffalo mozerella you can get from M&S.

Agree on Tesco Mozerella, but I prefer the really big balls of buffalo mozerella you can get from M&S.

Yeah, M&S is usually very nice. My only problem with them is that the quality can sometimes be a little variable. Not really their fault, I know, and more times than not it's great. I quite like the Guiltless Gourmet stuff because the little balls of Mozarella are very well suited to being wrapped in Parma ham. Yum!

Tesco = neon lit hell, staffed by empty eyed souls with headset wearing wardens of importance overseeing badly managed proceedings.

The odd glimpse of good service is constantly defeated by a dark army of couldn't care less soldiers in blue uniforms.

Checkout Zombies are trained to coax unsuspecting victims into giving out their details in return for a plastic card that makes the bearer a member of the cult and is designed to allow Hell HQ full insight into your life.

Buys a lot of beer, condoms and frozen pizza - the overlord knows you are a single male on the pull and suggests the latest deodorant in his next newsletter.

Tesco - every little hell

Archived