Future Of Victoria Road Prison?

Theodolite

BBC News

This was discussed in Tynwald on Tuesday.

The Hon. Member for Douglas North (Mr Houghton) to ask the Minister for Infrastructure:

Whether he supports the immediate demolition of the old prison at Victoria Road; and if not why?

"It's been certified as unsafe by the fire officer, Peter" I kept hearing voices in the background on the Tynwald broadcast, as Peter Karran provided a few thoughts contrary to levelling the site and lashing some Dandaras up.

The main original building certainly needs a bit of work to bring it up to modern standards for any use, but the new part must surely be up to scratch.

(From the picture you can see how an average shot with a catapult could apparently get 'a Henry' or ' a Louis' into the exercise yard from a passing car.)

Anyone any further thoughts on what the Government should do with the old Prison.

post-4192-0-42582700-1295536811_thumb.jpg

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drop the old bit and flog the bricks off as commemorative items. Flog the land off and/or get somebody to build something leisure/community orientated (which is what the prison was, lol). Keep the new bit as luxury accomodation for Trevor Baines and the wife (and any more of his ilk) :)

I think they should fill it with water and put goldfish in it, and everyone can watch them through the windows. Just think how attractive that would be, and reasonably cheap to do.

I estimate that would attract at least 1.7658 million visitors a day, aid our GDP by at least 32.5%, and keep around 6,000 locals employed.

I estimate that would attract at least 1.7658 million visitors a day, aid our GDP by at least 32.5%, and keep around 6,000 locals employed.

Aha! You are a Government tourism consultant.

Not so fast! Firstly, there's no expensive lighting in that scheme, and no computer screens (henceforth known as interactivity orientated digital edudisplay units) or even what used to be called audio commentaries (before they were renamed informationalization sound narratives).

Secondly, the proposal wasn't accompanied by misleading artist's impressions that portay the area the plan concerns as a spacious, summery location with lighting to suit the construction

Thirdly, Tweek hasn't charged us a King's ransom for the benefit of the suggestion.

Every consultant worthy of the name knows that Ministers can't understand suggestions unless they're expensive, garish and come with lots of pictures.

Health and Safety would never allow someone to go up on the roof to tip the Ants-eggs in though, so thats that.

Anyway, if it were filled with water Adrian E would have a few Fire trucks up there to do the pumping, then a few more and the next thing you know, it would be a Fire Station!

PK is right in that, if possible, the new parts should be pressed into use for 'something' rather than a facility be wasted.

Indoor paintball/airsoft arena?

But I thought it was being demolished as it was unsafe?

It's only unsafe if you pay a Consultant Structural Engineer to write a report that it is unsafe.

It can't be all that bad because it was in use so recently. Whatever is wrong can be sorted but I suppose it is a question of having the desire to do so, and cost.

Maybe to save any arguments there will be a mysterious fire, like the Majestic or the Cinema down on Walpole Avenue.

Though it would be nice to see some sort of leisure and recreation facility there.

BBC News

This was discussed in Tynwald on Tuesday.

The Hon. Member for Douglas North (Mr Houghton) to ask the Minister for Infrastructure:

Whether he supports the immediate demolition of the old prison at Victoria Road; and if not why?

"It's been certified as unsafe by the fire officer, Peter" I kept hearing voices in the background on the Tynwald broadcast, as Peter Karran provided a few thoughts contrary to levelling the site and lashing some Dandaras up.

The main original building certainly needs a bit of work to bring it up to modern standards for any use, but the new part must surely be up to scratch.

(From the picture you can see how an average shot with a catapult could apparently get 'a Henry' or ' a Louis' into the exercise yard from a passing car.)

Anyone any further thoughts on what the Government should do with the old Prison.

post-4192-0-42582700-1295536811_thumb.jpg

Strange how it has been condemned and yet when the police wanted to use it for some sort of youth event that was fine.

It is not a pretty building and is horrendous inside.

They seem to want to relocate the fire service bringing it all together and releasing office space in Onchan.

That would be a good idea.

Oh - I love all the ideas.

But get real folks - It will flogged off cheap and knocked down and turned into flats (sorry - Apartments) or a small estate of 10000 houses, some semi, some detached, some terrace (sorry - Mews).

It would be nice to see something useful there, The old Summerland site is a good pointer as to what can be done there ......

oh no, wait.

Archived