Go On Then, What Were You Kistening To?

Bananaman

As if I don't have enough music too be kistening to already the guardian earlier but up an article the best dj mixes of the year. Reading the descriptions and listening to samples i figured this one would be worth a listen, and I was right, it is. Not doing anything particularly clever or different, just kind of cool

I should add that that Pardox Ensemble stuff linked to further up the thread is really fun.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

As if I don't have enough music too be kistening to already the guardian earlier but up an article the best dj mixes of the year. Reading the descriptions and listening to samples i figured this one would be worth a listen, and I was right, it is. Not doing anything particularly clever or different, just kind of cool

I should add that that Pardox Ensemble stuff linked to further up the thread is really fun.

I think the needle is stuck there.

Yeah, great album. In 1976/77 (?) Ed Wynne stayed on the Island for half the year after jumping school to visit an old school mate, the incredible Bazza Nelson, now in a band called Red.... something or other (?) lives down your way, TP. Had a few interesting jams with him. Outstanding player even as a young buck back then, and streets ahead of the rest of us. I think his brother Roly, or maybe his old man had a guitar made for him out of green perspex, so heavy it was uncomfortable to play for long periods. The headstock was a beautifully-carved reclining swan. Hand-wound pick-ups and crafted hardware. There was another poster on here (whose forum name escapes me, now a recently-retired postman :whistling:) who also had the pleasure of jamming with him, along with a young Simon Buttimore (RIP). Ed was off the wall and mad on Zappa back then and introduced us to Frank's 'One Size Fits All' which I think had just been released (on cassette, lol). Long hot summer that was so likely it was '76. It was obvious even way back then that Ed was destined for bigger things.

It all seems a long time ago.

Amazing album that, especially when wearing a liberty cap. :blink:

I know who Barry is, know his kids better. I love the Ozrics, discovered them in the middle of the night at Glastonbury 97 with  head full of acid. Spent about £50 quid on cassettes there and then! Unbelievable stuff. And 76 was a long time ago, I wasn't even born! 

• 2 weeks later...

Shaun Keaveny, breakfast hero on 6music has taken over the afternoon show from the magnificent RadMac show, started today. RadMac have been utterly brilliant, providing my afternoon entertainment and I'm really sad to see them go from this slot. Still, Keaveny has been fun on breakfast, I liked his slow confused style, sort of matched my own at 7am, hopefully he'll do alright in the afternoon. Certainly started off with a bang, a whole host of quality tunes (including that Prodigy one above and Utah Fucking Saints!) and a short session from the heroic Steve Mason. Loved the Beta Band, loved King Biscuit Time and Black Affair, his solo stuff is fucking great, new album out in a couple of weeks and sounding just like it should

Shaun Keaveny should have been sacked by 6 music 10 years ago when they had the clear out of George Fox and all the comedians. No respect for his listeners, complete boorish, and no love or knowledge of music. Mary Anne Hobbs's perpetual use of words like "epiphany" isn't an improvement at all. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are worse things to listen to for an hour than this eclectic little mix, its got some gong on it, but it also has this mental little track at 35.50 that is well worth hearing for anyone with a sense of humour. Seriously, you should check it out, The Queen is a Lizard.

https://www.mixcloud.com/OWM/the-temple-of-shadows-29-a-sprinkling-of-clouds/

Archived