Tt/mgp Fatalities

ThankU

So your business gets no benefit, and all your customers are abroad? The corollary of that of course, is what do you actually then put into the island, besides a few jobs?

That's exactly what the finance sector puts into the island - jobs. Lots of 'em. How many full time permanent jobs does the TT create?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So your business gets no benefit, and all your customers are abroad? The corollary of that of course, is what do you actually then put into the island, besides a few jobs?

That's exactly what the finance sector puts into the island - jobs. Lots of 'em. How many full time permanent jobs does the TT create?

Not every moron works in the Finance industry, and the problem with the ones that do is they cant see past their fecking big noses and dont give a dam about the ones that dont. One day the Finance industry will up sticks and go and then some might be glad of a job behind the counter of a burger van, just to pay their bills.

However, the government take a tax hike from TT which helps to keep taxes down that little bit - for everyone IMO.

The Govt have never produced any figures and I actually expect that if they did it would show that the TT costs them money. Remember companies pay 0% tax on profits and there generally is no VAT on travel. I appreciate there is a small levy on passengers using the airport and ports

So your business gets no benefit, and all your customers are abroad? The corollary of that of course, is what do you actually then put into the island, besides a few jobs? It's far more complex than that on the money-go-round, a finance type should know that.

I just think you should look at the wider picture - the collective picture that's all. That the TT supports a lot of businesses, and they pay taxes, and in turn support other businesses and individuals at other times of the year too.

I appreciate the last point but in the wider picture I actually doubt that the TT supports that many IoM busnesses. Yes pubs, eateries and accomodation providers get a cut but the majority of spend by visitors will go to transport opertors who are owned off island as is the main retailer. Home stay is tax free but home much of that income is spent off Island via internet shopping etc.

One day somebody will prepare an impartial report on the fincial impact the TT has on the Island and the Government. I think it may be beneficial to the Island but not the Government. Whatever one side is probably going to get an awful shock

Not every moron works in the Finance industry, and the problem with the ones that do is they cant see past their fecking big noses and dont give a dam about the ones that dont. One day the Finance industry will up sticks and go and then some might be glad of a job behind the counter of a burger van, just to pay their bills.

I presume you are one that does not.

Nobody has said nobody benefits from the TT in the Island etc. One poster stated everybody did. That in my view is as wrong as saying nobody does.

You seem to be making a very deliberate effort to ignore what has been said and divert the topic away by irrelevent side issues. This is presumably because you have no real answer to what was originally being discussed.

Is there a point to any of your posts, or are you just typing because you can?

You know what ThankU - I agree pretty much with everything Mr Martin said.

I would like to leave him to just get on with it - and that is why I think the event should fund itself and not take money from the government.

Formula 1 doesn't, MotoGP doesn't, why should the TT? If the businesses on the Island do so well from it - they can form a consortium to cover it.

Then, they, the competitors and sponsors will pay the full costs. With those who don't want to be involved left to mow their lawns etc.

If people want to go and do feats of great danger and skill, I am not going to stop them, and I do genuinely admire them. But I don't think the general tax payer should be their to sponsor their thrills.

That is really what the nub of this argument is all about as far as I am concerned. If people want the risks, they should pay the penny, and not expect a bail out from the tax man.

Erm, I think you will find that many F1 and motogp rounds are run on the back of financial subsidies from regional government. An example of one which has come in for flack is the Melbourne F1 race here. If thats the nub of your argument, is rather flawed.

It cost Victoria's government $50 million last year to cover the event's losses, including a yearly race fee estimated at more than $25 million.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/baillieu-defends-f1-race-20110327-1cc0j.html#ixzz1LVJF7OEe

i dont think we get a bad deal really then next to that lot

But let's just say, hypothetically of course, that you were a painter and decorator, the 'Finance Sector' would have contributed signifcantly to the amount of work available in your industry over the last 20 years or so. All those extra homes in need of decoration, the additional office space and of course the significant Government spend in your industry as a result of direct and indirect taxes, generated as a result of that industry.

To coin a phrase 'It's the economy, stupid'. We all need each other, one mans spending puts bread on others tables, and so on.

Archived