General Election 2011 - Middle

Declan

Good post, which gives a fair overview of our candidates,so whow will win? M Q has come out Fighting and is actually starting to sound like a strong purposefull politician! He must be feeling the vibes and knows his seat is in jepordy.5 yrs to late imo.J C has come over beter than expected and is certainly one of the beter lib-vans,but as others have said,why vote for someone who will not take an active part in running this island,mayaswell be an unpaid commisioner dealing with local issues.So that leaves PC+HQ,PC seems a little to close to the government way of thinking,which i am sure would fit in well,but would that be just more of the same? I will probally take my chance with HQ and see if he can turn hot air into something of substance,has he really got the midas touch?

P.S. Just heard Nick Clegg stating its no time for backroom boys,is that not a msg to the lib-van party?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post, which gives a fair overview of our candidates,so whow will win? M Q has come out Fighting and is actually starting to sound like a strong purposefull politician! He must be feeling the vibes and knows his seat is in jepordy.5 yrs to late imo.J C has come over beter than expected and is certainly one of the beter lib-vans,but as others have said,why vote for someone who will not take an active part in running this island,mayaswell be an unpaid commisioner dealing with local issues.So that leaves PC+HQ,PC seems a little to close to the government way of thinking,which i am sure would fit in well,but would that be just more of the same? I will probally take my chance with HQ and see if he can turn hot air into something of substance,has he really got the midas touch?

P.S. Just heard Nick Clegg stating its no time for backroom boys,is that not a msg to the lib-van party?

I also attended this requisition meeting in Middle and thought both MQ and PC are too pro-government. PC informed us "he doesn't want to grow the economy" as preachers go this is what he seems to to best! I am not interested in your touch feely good deeds,and don't want another civil servant talking down to me but dont worry PC will still get his 50K government job back when he doesn't win the election! JC - couldn't hear him at all, other than he is unemployed, do we want an unemployed businesman?? MQ - well what can I say its too late for him! That leaves HQ who I believe is the strongest candidate. Living in Crosby, his support is very strong. He could really make a difference. He gets my family vote.

Where was the Middle requesition meeting advertised please? I'm really cross as I've been looking forward to it and was getting concerned that perhaps we weren't getting one as I couldn't find anything about it in the papers/websites, and now I find I've missed it! :angry: Lots of pre & post coverage of the Douglas, Ramsey & South meetings though.

Also, is it only me who finds it very irritating that so many candidates proudly proclaim that they have resigned from their posts in order to stand for this election? What happens if they are unsucessful? Will they then be claiming unemployment benefit until they can find another job? This doesn't seem very clever in the current financial climate and makes me wonder if their only plan is to live off the tax payer in one way or another (MHK salary & pension or unemployment benefit)for the next few months/years! Do we really want such people looking after our interests? :blink:

Where was the Middle requesition meeting advertised please? I'm really cross as I've been looking forward to it and was getting concerned that perhaps we weren't getting one as I couldn't find anything about it in the papers/websites, and now I find I've missed it! :angry: Lots of pre & post coverage of the Douglas, Ramsey & South meetings though.

Also, is it only me who finds it very irritating that so many candidates proudly proclaim that they have resigned from their posts in order to stand for this election? What happens if they are unsucessful? Will they then be claiming unemployment benefit until they can find another job? This doesn't seem very clever in the current financial climate and makes me wonder if their only plan is to live off the tax payer in one way or another (MHK salary & pension or unemployment benefit)for the next few months/years! Do we really want such people looking after our interests? :blink:

Don't worry, some are in the public sector. Their jobs will be kept open for them in case they don't get elected. Probably one of the reasons we have had so may posties over the years.

News paper site

Manx Radio

I must of heard John Moss mention it plenty of times during his times on the radio.

But don't forget, there is another one tonight at Memorial Hall, Union Mills. 7.00 pm I think. However, after trying to find a link to that one, I can't

Just returned from the Braddan meeting tonight, serious headache after listening to the never ending rants of Paul Craine!! At one point it took him 14 minutes to answer one question - this guy is fluent alright in total rubbish!! It would be a brave person who votes for this guy! When are the next Local Commissioners elections as this guy has got to go?

Mr Cottier must have received a kick up the backside as he was a bit more vocal - still no chance of winning! MQ continues to take a beating and Howard Quayle showed them all how it should be done with precise answers, spoken with honesty and integrity! Still wins our Votes! Good Luck H.Quayle your support is growing!

Manxbeacon must have been at a different meeting to me. Good to see four decent candidates. I'm hoping that Paul will get in, two of the many reasons being:-

1. He has a good track record of successfully contributing to the Isle of Man community (Island Games, Marown Commissioners, Camlork, supporting charities etc.)

2. If manxbeacon, as a critic, and I, as a supporter, both went to him with an issue as an MHK, he'd treat us both exactly the same

Not my constituency but I've just noted this from his manifesto

Over several years, this arrangement had come to favour the Isle of Man. In 2007, we received over three times more, per person, from VAT than the UK received. This situation existed even though the rates of VAT were identical. Clearly this was more than just a ‘very good

deal’ for the Isle of Man.

And

Not surprisingly, the UK indicated that there had to be changes. In October 2009, and again in July 2011, the ‘Revenue Sharing Arrangement’was revised, reducing the Island’s VAT income by an eventual total of around £175m per year. A new method of calculating the Island’s share of VAT, based on those sectors of the Manx economy that generate VAT, has been agreed. The Isle of Man will still receive an estimated 40% more, per person, from VAT than the UK which is clearly a reasonably good deal. There is no case for us to argue that we should be receiving a larger share of the VAT.

Quite refreshing to see such a simple and clear explanation without the usual hysterical Nasty UK VAT Grab Attack etc claims.

Well said Chris.

Like you, I thought Manxbeacon must have been at a different meeting to me as I came away with quite a different impression.

I actually thought that all the candidates spoke for similar lengths of time on each topic (although I didn't have my stopwatch with me). I found Mr Craine's responses to each question interesting and well informed (as did many of the audience judging from the applause elicited by several of his answers).

We are fortunate in Middle to have four articulate, well informed candidates but my vote goes to Mr Craine who has no business interests driving his desire to enter government.

Just returned from the Braddan meeting tonight, serious headache after listening to the never ending rants of Paul Craine!! At one point it took him 14 minutes to answer one question - this guy is fluent alright in total rubbish!! It would be a brave person who votes for this guy! When are the next Local Commissioners elections as this guy has got to go?

Mr Cottier must have received a kick up the backside as he was a bit more vocal - still no chance of winning! MQ continues to take a beating and Howard Quayle showed them all how it should be done with precise answers, spoken with honesty and integrity! Still wins our Votes! Good Luck H.Quayle your support is growing!

If Howard Quayle does the same to the Manx economy as he has done to Manx agriculture

there won't be anything left in a couple of years

If Howard Quayle does the same to the Manx economy as he has done to Manx agriculture

there won't be anything left in a couple of years

Ain't that the truth

I am taking my chance with howard quayle too, i kept him on the doorstep for an hour lol and he answered every question i asked

his views seem to be similar to the majority of islanders

I would not Vote for

Martyn Quayle as he didnt even bother to come around to our estate

Juan Cottier and the Lib Van crowd would have our health Services run by a health company from the UK and they couldnt answer questions in the examiner interview with their own words, how boring were their interviews lol

Paul Craine another one that didnt knock my door and also he is methodist church so its fair enough to say we would know his views then on gay rights....

So that left me with HQ and to be honest I could of talked to him for longer, he was easy to talk to and he didnt hesitate with his replies..

Maybe its time for a couple of newbies with business heads to get into government instead of egotistic former or current mhks who enjoy scoring points against each other or are moved to different departments when the f*** up!!! and wasting taxpayers money constantly!

Archived