General Election 2011 - Middle

Declan

Martin is in the news today asking for shed loads of extra money,because he's concerned about the poor,just one paragraph which is confusing,he wants to take on 10 extra social workers,but says they don't want to increase the headcount,now how can this be done?.

Well presumably, if he wants 10 new social workers and won't be increasing headcount, he'll be relinquishing 10 other employees... n'est pas?

No he doesn't say that,he wants nearly £500,000 more for 10 more extra social workers,nothing about sacking anybody.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin is in the news today asking for shed loads of extra money,because he's concerned about the poor,just one paragraph which is confusing,he wants to take on 10 extra social workers,but says they don't want to increase the headcount,now how can this be done?.

Well presumably, if he wants 10 new social workers and won't be increasing headcount, he'll be relinquishing 10 other employees... n'est pas?

No he doesn't say that,he wants nearly £500,000 more for 10 more extra social workers,nothing about sacking anybody.

In which case his aspiration not to increase headcount appears exactly that...just an aspiration, not a fact. This should be interesting in Tynwald.

• 3 weeks later...

Received an election letter from Paul Craine in my postbox yesterday...no idea why seeing as I live in central Douglas.

Let's hope he wasn't a geography teacher then.

Received an election letter from Paul Craine in my postbox yesterday...no idea why seeing as I live in central Douglas.

Let's hope he wasn't a geography teacher then.

:lol: - he's on Talking Heads now - degree in Geography!

If you send things out via the Post Office, they use the postcade system, but unfortunately the boundaries of the various areas don't go by the same system.

So it's either spend money and blanket cover or do it by hand for a more accurate hit rate.

Nice to see he had a few Lib Van ideas too. I wonder if the Lib Van's will be getting a consultancy fee from all those prospective 'independant' candidates who are doing the same thing?

• 1 month later...

Found this thread on page four,no additions since 26 july! Is there stil a contest? As a middle voter,ive had one flyer,no manifesto's,one missed callers card.Anybody done better? Spoke to any candidate?

First question: Are you on the register?

Second: Are you a farmer?

Third: Do you live on an estate/main road?

Fourth: Are you a pensioner?

Anything arrive in post today? Craine, Quayle 1 and Quayle 2 should be with you. Cottier over the next week.

Only caught some of it but it seemed a lively debate.

Two things I noticed for the good. Howard Quayle pointing out that much of the savings declared by Govt departments are just paper savigs DoI where road repairs removed from revenue to capital and interest no longer charged internally on projects which account for 39% of alleged 40% reduction in Budget.

Paul Craine pointing out that the IoM economy is or has done well but the reduction in Govt income is not really to related to the economy and that the reduction in Govt income can not be covered by a Growth in the economy because if the economy grows so generally do Govt costs as bigger economy equals more people so more demand for education health service etc.

I have to admit this I think is the first time on any of these debates heard any of the candidates actually pointing out some of the hard decisions to be made like major cuts or tax rises which will affect us all. Basically a debate has at last mentioned the elephant in the room!

A look in at Marown School where a packed hall of 150 attended the requisition meeting.

This is a largely middle class constituency and a different type of audience from Douglas North, where I visited earlier. The parochial issue was speeding and traffic lights, speed cameras etc but then onto PS/CS/Tynwald Members pensions, judiciary non-contribution pensions, departmental budgets, dental health, means tesing council rents, Steam Packet agreement, and other issues more to do with the national side of politics.

I think this one will be close. Being the sitting candidate, Martyn Quayle had the definite advantage last time. However, this evening whenever the Government was criticised or if he spoke about a contentious issue, a dissident murmur built up around the hall. He is accomplished at handling criticism these days and at times his newly found confidence won through. The lone heckler was right at the front and gained the support of the crowd when trying to have a go at Martyn Quayle.

The other Quayle (Howard) was equally as confident and liked to speak when given the chance. He is certainly very knowledgeable and capable and has a fair amount of support.

Paul Craine kept what looked like a subservient silence but when he was given the chance to speak came out of his shell every time and produced good strong ideas and thoughts. I think he will gain a lot of the younger vote more than the others, by his manner and accessible approach.

The Liberal Vannin candidate Juan Cottier was equally as confident and knowledgeable. Sorry to keep saying confident, but that is what all these guys were. Yep, and knowledgeable. A woman in the crowd who obviously enjoys the benefit of a good living off Manx Telecom and for some reason felt threatened tried to unhinge Lib Van due to a remark in their manifesto about MT. No problem. Juan Cottier explained and clarified the point and was supported by Howard Quayle.

This meeting was very dignified and the four candidates were all of a very high calibre, particularly when compared to many of the others around the Island. A credit to the people of Middle. I would have a lot of problem choosing who was going to represent the constituency and also make a good National politician.

Prominent characters in the audience: David North former MHK sitting alongside the last Attorney General bloke. It's fun to watch these retirees huff and puff at various points in the proceedings.

Archived