General Election 2011 - Middle

Declan

Constituency Details - Middle

Accident prone minister Martyn "fail" Quayle is challenge by farmer's leader Howard Quayle and Liberal Vannin candidate Juan Cottier for the one seat in this half rural / half suburban constituency.

Manx Radio

Wikipedia

2006 Election

Candidates Declared

Martin Quayle MHK

Facebook Profile

Manx Radio Page

Tynwald CV

Howard Quayle

Manx Radio Page

Juan Cottier (Liberal Vannin Party)

Manx Radio Page

Paul Craine

Manx Radio Page

Declaration

==================

Note I'll try and keep updating this post with links and information as the thread and the election develops.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just moved to Middle and i've never voted , i've long disliked that Martin Fail Quayle so i want to make sure that the 2 votes from our house go against him , don't know anything about the other 2 guys , one guys a farmer and the other wears glasses , thats all i can gather from the links .

Anyone know what they stand for ?

Also how to i go about voting :ph34r:

I've just moved to Middle and i've never voted , i've long disliked that Martin Fail Quayle so i want to make sure that the 2 votes from our house go against him , don't know anything about the other 2 guys , one guys a farmer and the other wears glasses , thats all i can gather from the links .

Anyone know what they stand for ?

Also how to i go about voting :ph34r:

Contact the Electoral registration unit on 685753 or 685754 to check you are registered to vote.

Paul Craine has also declared for Middle and is a Marown Commissioner - Hope this helps

i've long disliked that Martin Fail Quayle so i want to make sure that the 2 votes from our house go against him , d

Is it for you to decide whom the other person in your house should vote for?

Needs someone like him to shake the cosy MHKs up

Gosh yes, the subsidy-rich farming sector is really under-represented at the moment. Howard's the man to stop the money flying out the door

I have no idea if he is the man or not but at least he is mentioning the elephant in the room. He is not the only one though many are not. All the talk about diversifying, expanding the economy etc is great but there is little practical MHKs can do. Cutting costs and expenses though is different and at present all they seem to be doing is shuffling bits around and using reserves or moving costs into the capital budget.

I would happily vote for anybody who basically said I want to stand and if elected I only expect to be in for one terms because at the end I expect to be a pariah as my aim is to attack waste, inefficiency, terms and conditions and that will probably means large numbers of redundancies, cuts in pay, conditions etc.

Basically I think we need somebody who will take the large unpopular decisions which I believe are necessary for the sake of the Island but will leave such a person unelectable in the future and disliked by many who are adversely affected.

In summary we need a henchman who will do what is necessary and hang the personal consequences!

ot but at least he is mentioning the elephant in the room. He is not the only one though many are not. All the talk about diversifying, expanding the economy etc is great but there is little practical MHKs can do. Cutting costs and expenses though is different and at present

Martin is in the news today asking for shed loads of extra money,because he's concerned about the poor,just one paragraph which is confusing,he wants to take on 10 extra social workers,but says they don't want to increase the headcount,now how can this be done?.

Martin is in the news today asking for shed loads of extra money,because he's concerned about the poor,just one paragraph which is confusing,he wants to take on 10 extra social workers,but says they don't want to increase the headcount,now how can this be done?.

Well presumably, if he wants 10 new social workers and won't be increasing headcount, he'll be relinquishing 10 other employees... n'est pas?

And £2.942 million for development of 12 two bed apartments and 4 two bed bungalows at Clagh Vane Estate.

This works out at approximately £183,875.00 EACH!!

On the first time buyers scheme, a two bed apartment is approximately £130,000.00 and slightly more for the bungalows, if the are included on the first time buyer scheme.

You do the math.

Copy of press release below:

Department of Social Care

Rheynn Kiarail y Theay

News Release

30th June 2011

Embargoed until 2.30 pm on 30th June 2011

Further Housing Development Proposed for Ballasalla

The Department of Social Care is seeking Tynwald approval at the July sitting to expend a sum not exceeding £2,942,000 to carry out a further phase of redevelopment of Clagh Vane Estate. The proposed works will be a mix of 12 two-bedroom apartments and 4 two-bedroom bungalows of similar appearance to the new housing nearing completion on the main Douglas Road which forms the first phase of redevelopment.

The proposed development (referred to as “Project 4”) also includes the demolition and clearance of the existing empty properties, the creation of a new access lane and car parking, and the construction of a communal biomass boiler house utilising wood chip fuel, to be supplied from local sources by the Forestry Division of the Department of Environmental, Food and Agriculture.

Minister for Department of Social Care Hon Martyn Quayle MHK stated:

“This scheme demonstrates my Department’s ongoing commitment to the phased re-development of the Clagh Vane housing estate including modernising its infrastructure, some of which dates back to the 1940’s. The Department and the developer are sensitive to the fact that it can be difficult for residents during the building works and we will continue to work hard to minimise the impact. That said, the finished product, which is now starting to appear elsewhere on Clagh Vane, demonstrates the value of such investment to ensure a high standard of public sector housing in Ballasalla and across the Island.”

Previous works at Clagh Vane have consisted of environmental improvements to the spaces around retained housing, the creation of a new improved junction with the Douglas Road, and the development of 16 two bedroom apartments and 1 two bedroomed bungalow.

Future projects will include the replacement of the housing in “the Horseshoe” area of the Clagh Vane Estate (some 44 houses and bungalows).

The works in Project 4 will commence as soon as possible, subject to Tynwald approval. .The first works will consist of the demolition of the existing properties in order to clear the site prior to construction.

In addition, the Department will consult with existing residents and others on the re-development of the remaining areas of the Clagh Vane Estate.

ENDS

I don't mind them taking a bit of a hit on the creation of first time buyer properties (although the build cost does seem high), as it eases the pressure on public housing. I think that means testing public housing would easily pay for this

I don't mind them taking a bit of a hit on the creation of first time buyer properties (although the build cost does seem high), as it eases the pressure on public housing. I think that means testing public housing would easily pay for this

Another reasonable proposal that our esteemed Chief Minister has dodged time after time, after time.....

Excellent letter in Examiner this week from Howard Quayle, regarding VAT agreement with UK. Needs someone like him to shake the cosy MHKs up. They do need to come clean regarding this issue.

I do not see any point to asking the current administration, what they are going to do about the VAT cuts when that administration is at an end.

If Mr Quayle expects to be a member of the new administration then he needs to be coming up with the answers and not just asking the questions.

The Press Release does not refer to these houses as FTBs, if they were, the usual cost is £150k, if they are not, then social housing is often better than FTB, more spacious, better appointed etc and so would be of a higher cost than £150k.

As social housing or at £150k per house, the cost would leave some half a million to pay for the clearly stated demolition, car parking and access road.

In other words, to say that this estate is overpriced, at £180k per house, is disingenuous without explaining the costs of the other work involved.

Snowflake, do you have an interest to declare in the Middle Election? Are you, a relative or a colleague a candidate in that election?

In view of the new posters to this Forum, it would only be fair to restate such an interest that exists.

Archived