Unfair First Time Buyer Scheme

UnbelievableTekkers

Good to see after 15 years there is now going to be an investigation into the harcroft schemehttp://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/harcroft-scheme-under-scrutiny/

Must be an election looming... Quick! On the bandwagon!

Another greedy twats charter. So people who got subsidies to buy £70,000 houses they couldn't afford are pissed off that they couldn't cash in the free money when the houses shot up to £250,000? Seriously? The scheme was set up to give them a home, not to give them a fucking massive profit so they could downsize and move somewhere cheaper and make a shit load of cash within 10 years. Greedy, greedy bastards. No wonder Malarkey has decided to put his weight behind this one.

Newsflash: people want to make money - shocker!

Another newsflash: not everyone conforms to your fantasy. Neither is it correct.

I live in Harcroft Meadow, and have done since my house was complete. I love living here and am genuinely thankful, everyday, that the government made provision for someone like me to own their own house.

When I applied for the first time buyer scheme, I had a low-paying job and was sharing a house with other people - paying a lot in rent to a certain ex-MHK . The usual can't afford a mortgage in the bank's eyes but paying more in rent.

Yes, the goverment gave me a grant to afford the place, on the proviso that i pay it back if i sold it within a certain time. And I would have to sell it to the goverment ( to avoid another Governor's hill ).

The problems started when people realised that the law firm who were handling the legal side didn't tell people about the 30% clause. And when people found out, they felt betrayed. Can you imagine having something happened to you like this? People here ( who were on that scheme ) don't feel like we own our homes.

The idea of first time buyers is to get people on the property ladder. My wife and I would like a larger house, with a garage - but christ on a bike, looking at property prices makes us realise we're staying here forever. Which is bad news for people like I was like 14 years ago. No affordable housing for them - us greedy greedy bastards are living here!

Of course, some people moved out, took the hit. Some people ( probably most of us here ) are staying here. Maybe some are looking for the quick buck as you wildly speculate.

The people who have moved onto Harcroft Meadow after that scheme ended don't have to sell their house back to the goverment. They can even rent it out. Wha tdo you think of them if you've tarred us residents as greedy greedy bastards?

Get your sheight straight before posting more bollocks.

And no, I did not vote for Malarkey either. Can't stand him.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But they're not getting anything back from people here - because people can't afford to move. A grant is not a loan either.

Some moves were made to start legal action against the company a while back, but it was dead before it even started - sueing a legal company?!? get real. The guy who was dealing with Harcroft left the company, the company washed their hands of the whole deal. I guess this was why people were pushing for an investigation.

I'm not pissed off about the paying 30% of a sale price, it's the the way the scheme was changed after it ended. oh, and it stops people moving up and leaving affordable houses for the next generation.

But they're not getting anything back from people here - because people can't afford to move. A grant is not a loan either.

Some moves were made to start legal action against the company a while back, but it was dead before it even started - sueing a legal company?!? get real. The guy who was dealing with Harcroft left the company, the company washed their hands of the whole deal. I guess this was why people were pushing for an investigation.

I'm not pissed off about the paying 30% of a sale price, it's the the way the scheme was changed after it ended.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conveyancing

Note the phrase "Notified of any restrictions before the sale" and "there is no factor which would impede a mortgage or re-sale"

Yes, I get that - did you not get the bit where people weren't informed properly of said restrictions? you seem to keep missing that, in your attempts to label people as greedy and of questionable parentage.

Also, I'm interested on your views about the effect this has on people needing first-time buyers housing but not being able to get them as people here can't afford to move. Or is that not important to your views?

Yes, I get that - did you not get the bit where people weren't informed properly of said restrictions? you seem to keep missing that, in your attempts to label people as greedy and of questionable parentage.

Also, I'm interested on your views about the effect this has on people needing first-time buyers housing but not being able to get them as people here can't afford to move. Or is that not important to your views?

When are you moving? I'd like to get the 30% we invested in your house back? If your lawyer didn't tell you of the restrictions at conveyancing then you should sue them. The issue here is that people think IOMG is a soft touch and it's cheaper to put pressure on them to get money back than sue their lawyer.

You mean moving as in where I've said twice I can't afford to? And yes, I'm part of your 'we' as well - but I don't want money back, as I'm happy to stay as I can't afford a larger house. But feel guilty when I think of people who need a first time buyer's house, like the one I live in.

I answered your suing the lawyer question, but you don't appear to have read that either. What's the matter, is it upsetting your rhetoric? better keep ignoring then.

The issue here is that people in the original Harcroft Meadow scheme got a bad deal compared to the first time buyers schemes before and after it. <You'd better ignore that fact as well.

What of my point that later buyers who aren't tied into our scheme don't have to sell their houses back to the government, can keep more of the sale price or even rent the house out privately? are they generous generous bastards?

You mean moving as in where I've said twice I can't afford to? And yes, I'm part of your 'we' as well - but I don't want money back, as I'm happy to stay as I can't afford a larger house. But feel guilty when I think of people who need a first time buyer's house, like the one I live in.

I answered your suing the lawyer question, but you don't appear to have read that either. What's the matter, is it upsetting your rhetoric? better keep ignoring then.

The issue here is that people in the original Harcroft Meadow scheme got a bad deal compared to the first time buyers schemes before and after it. <You'd better ignore that fact as well.

What of my point that later buyers who aren't tied into our scheme don't have to sell their houses back to the government, can keep more of the sale price or even rent the house out privately? are they generous generous bastards?

Can I ask how much of the original purchase price you paid ?

Unless I am very much mistaken, you have NOTHING to complain about.

Diligaf - reread my first post? I'm not complaining - I feel like i'm in the clover, just at the expense of some poor kid who can't get started. I tried to explain why some people here wanted an investigation.

The house cost me more than the figure I read somewhere on the thread, but as a general rule don't tend to give out my financials/bank account/sort code on the internet.

Why strive to own your own home anyhow?

The Government takes it back when you go into care.

Mr. X who has worked his balls off for 50 years to pay down his mortgage will be forced to sell his home if he needs to be transferred in to a nursing home. The proceeds of the sale used to fund his care until it runs out.

Meanwhile Mr. Y, in the next room of the home, having never done a full day's work in his life or ever intended to own his house gets the same treatment & care for nowt.

Can someone, perhaps an MHK, perhaps the DHSC Minister elucidate how this can possibly be fair?

Work pays.

Someone else's healthcare.

True. But when Mr X has no further need of his house, the best use of the asset is to pay for his care. It should not fall on other taxpayers who may never inherit anything to pay for Mr X's care simply so that Mr X's family can get a free house to sell.

Therefore, why own your own home?

Er. To live where you want to live in the type of house you want to live in. Why else? While you are actually alive and able to enjoy it.

Yes that scheme is wrong too.

What is your actual position? What was the purchase price of your house, what did you put in and what would the sale price be today?

Diligaf - reread my first post? I'm not complaining - I feel like i'm in the clover, just at the expense of some poor kid who can't get started. I tried to explain why some people here wanted an investigation.

The house cost me more than the figure I read somewhere on the thread, but as a general rule don't tend to give out my financials/bank account/sort code on the internet.

No one wants your bank account details. But put your argument into context. Give the details of price etc.

Also first time buyers are struggling here because 'affordable ' housing in schemes is, well, unaffordable.

Archived