Unfair First Time Buyer Scheme

UnbelievableTekkers

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well either we have rules and laws and legal agreements etc. or we just say to hell with all that and go by what some people think is right.

I suppose it is not all that different to the girl who managed to get her father's council house a few months back.

Article on IOM Today about a chap who's fiance died, but as he wasn't named on the deeds, he now was to move out of their first time buyers house.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/i_just_want_to_stay_in_my_own_home_1_3625070

And yet the government continue to let people live in Public Sector Housing without any form of means testing. Can't help thinking he's not the one who should be being forced out.

At the end of the day there is no such thing as a Common Law Wife and likewise a Common Law Husband..The legal system is looking into this and there may well be changes but it remains a fact that unless your name is on the Deeds then you have nothing...This has applied for years to girls who shack up with blokes and pay the bills and then when they split up she gets nothing...but in England and Wales this situation is being examined and may well change in the next few years....Scotland used to have a form of marriage "by custom and repute" but this was abolished when Scotland imported the Human Rights Act (Before England and Wales)..So no Common Law Marriage in Scotland because the UK is responsible for human rights and such forms of "marriage" were not available in England and Wales so Scotland had to come into line....As regards compassion, if the Island changed the rules on compassionate grounds then think of the floodgates because it involves the First Protocol to the Human Rights Act/Convention regarding peaceful enjoyment of property and possessions and if you do for one you must do for the other...and once a precedent is established that principle will bleed out into other aspects of Island life...

Article on IOM Today about a chap who's fiance died, but as he wasn't named on the deeds, he now was to move out of their first time buyers house.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/i_just_want_to_stay_in_my_own_home_1_3625070

And yet the government continue to let people live in Public Sector Housing without any form of means testing. Can't help thinking he's not the one who should be being forced out.

At the end of the day there is no such thing as a Common Law Wife and likewise a Common Law Husband..The legal system is looking into this and there may well be changes but it remains a fact that unless your name is on the Deeds then you have nothing...This has applied for years to girls who shack up with blokes and pay the bills and then when they split up she gets nothing...but in England and Wales this situation is being examined and may well change in the next few years....Scotland used to have a form of marriage "by custom and repute" but this was abolished when Scotland imported the Human Rights Act (Before England and Wales)..So no Common Law Marriage in Scotland because the UK is responsible for human rights and such forms of "marriage" were not available in England and Wales so Scotland had to come into line....As regards compassion, if the Island changed the rules on compassionate grounds then think of the floodgates because it involves the First Protocol to the Human Rights Act/Convention regarding peaceful enjoyment of property and possessions and if you do for one you must do for the other...and once a precedent is established that principle will bleed out into other aspects of Island life...

So a single parent dies. Does this mean that the children, who may be small, have to leave?

If they were young children, they would most probably go into care.

and the government claws back the kids inheritance? That seems about right.

Are there that many families waiting for FTB houses atm?

The rules also say the property can’t be sold to anyone, only back to government, within the first 10 years.

Surely, if the rules state that the house has to be sold back to the Government, the proceeds of the sale go to the estate which will then presumably be divided between her children (there does not appear to be any reference to the children living with them so they could be living with the ex partner or even possibly of adult age)

The article also states "Carol’s children are happy for Barry to remain in the house but their wishes hold no sway." and again, presumably, if they were to inherit the proceeds of the house instead, they would not have any objection to giving Barry a reasonable amount to help him with whatever financial loss he has suffered.

I haven't seen a copy of the rules although I would think that any sale back to the Government would need to take account of the increase in value of the property and how much has actually been paid off to be considered against how much grant was provided in the first place. Shouldn't be too difficult a calculation to resolve.

Perhaps the alternative is for Barry to pay back the equivalent of the original grant monies or if he can't, the house has to be sold back to the Government on an adjusted calculation which protects the taxpayers interests and those wishing to be considered for the first time buyers scheme.

Are there that many families waiting for FTB houses atm?

Yes, many hundreds.

and how many properties are unoccupied, FTB ones that is, atm?

By this I mean from people who have moved on, left etc

Isn't that the point, in order to move on, you would have to sell and that can only happen after 10 years otherwise you'd be obliged to sell it back to the Government. If there were any unoccupied, there wouldn't be a waiting list for first time buyer homes.

Isn't that the point, in order to move on, you would have to sell and that can only happen after 10 years otherwise you'd be obliged to sell it back to the Government. If there were any unoccupied, there wouldn't be a waiting list for first time buyer homes.

some houses remain empty for months and months after being vacated. I know of 2 that have been that way for over 6 months and one that is not lived in by the person/s who bought it.

On an island this size, we can afford to show a little compassion and use some discretion.

Nah, rules is rules especially when it's not you that's going to loose out.

Someone mentioned a sob story. Ffs how much of a real sob story is this? The poor guy's partner has died of cancer and he's being kicked out of their home! Of course public money should be protected* but its not like anyone's planned to rip the government off or been fickle in their choice of partner etc etc.

as cb says, give him some time (say a year) to sort something else out if it's impossible for him to stay.

* considering some of the ways the same gov p*ss our money up the wall on various projects, I'd say the amount they put into this house purchase is like a drop in the ocean in comparison.

Fully agree, these people make the rules up when they like, they bend the rules when they like and they can change the rules when they like, if it was one of Martyn Quayle's family members the legislation would have been changed ages ago to have allowed them to stay in the house. Given he lives in Douglas North it looks like a job for Batman and Robin to sort out before D-Day in September.

it will be interesting to see if a vote chaser gets onto this one like the girl from pully who lost her father and was ( according to the rules ) supposed/going to be evicted. a vote chaser jumps on band wagon and has a whine and low and behold after a 'reassesment' she then quallified for the house?? maybe it will pass that someone 'forgot' to put this blokes name on the deeds in the first place and it will magically appear on them?

Archived