Dandara At It Again.

mister meaner

Not that i would want to live in a settlement, but i do think that Dandara build good homes. Well, better than me cardboard box, like.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are familiar with Manx Crab Syndrome? ...

The proverbial bucket of crabs ... As one clambers to the top, just about over the edge, one hundred ****ing claws drag him back down ... "Where the **** do you think you're going fella?" ...

The Manx are not particularly fond of others bettering themselves.

I don't live in a Dandara house, nor have I ever owned one.

I fail to see though why so many Manx people (yes, I am one) have such a downer on them. Where would the 1000's of Dandara residents be living now if Dandara hadn't come to the Island?

Serious question:

Are you in business?

Heard on the radio yesterday that dandara have had to lay workers of due to the planning process being so slow, what a crock of shit. Blackmailing mofo's.

Yes, i work for a civil engineering company. Its just another case of dandara trying to bully their way to the front of the planing queue.

When you say "planing queue" is this a wood smoothing queue?

The proverbial bucket of crabs ... As one clambers to the top, just about over the edge, one hundred ****ing claws drag him back down ... "Where the **** do you think you're going fella?" ...

Not that its ever happened, of course: but I believe they are also not particularly fond of builders who arrive on the island and obliterate local competitors by 'constructing' (I use the word in its loosest possible sense) second rate kit built houses and then, having eliminated decent building firms, proceed to use overseas labour to construct slightly better houses/offices/flats (I have to say flats because I've yet to see any that deserve the word 'apartment') and use the profits to take up options on virtually all the available sites.

Please note - I insist that this is all a purely hypothetical construct and bears no relation to any other threads about convenient fires or brown envelopes.

Bettering themselves? You must be joking. Those who think money and land are something to aspire to are missing the point. It's cliched but, you never heard anyone wishing they'd made more money whilst on their death bed. Sod Dandara/Heritage homes/Whatever, people can choose not to live in one of their houses, I'm very surprised so many people actually do. :blink:

Not that its ever happened, of course: but I believe they are also not particularly fond of builders who arrive on the island and obliterate local competitors by 'constructing' (I use the word in its loosest possible sense) second rate kit built houses and then, having eliminated decent building firms, proceed to use overseas labour to construct slightly better houses/offices/flats (I have to say flats because I've yet to see any that deserve the word 'apartment') and use the profits to take up options on virtually all the available sites.

Please note - I insist that this is all a purely hypothetical construct and bears no relation to any other threads about convenient fires or brown envelopes.

Which local builders did they "obliterate"?

I seem to remember that when they first turned up on the island, there was very little building going on and the only "local" company that I can think of that built in any quantity was Mill Baldwin, hardly local itself.

McCards,Harrop,Kellys....

McCard is still going strong and Kellys were bought out by an off island company about 15-20? years ago.

Look along Douglas Prom for examples of nicely designed/built apartments and others that have been designed with both eyes on the lowest cost of construction.

well folks there is going to be pay offs, lots off them beginnin next week monday! so for all the haters there is going to be alot of men signing on in the local dhss office, so then ya can start a new thread, local ex builders, come over builders,eastern european builders and so on, a burden on local taxpayers by claiming benifets!

Live by the sword - die by the sword. A lot of people have made a lot of money from peppering the island with poor quality cardboard box houses & tearing down hotels to build bland appartment blocks.

There is absolutely no reason to change planning or any other rules to suit these greedy b'stards - yes they provide employment but if their business is no longer viable then tough shit, there's no point in flogging a dead horse.

Live by the sword - die by the sword. A lot of people have made a lot of money from peppering the island with poor quality cardboard box houses & tearing down hotels to build bland appartment blocks.

There is absolutely no reason to change planning or any other rules to suit these greedy b'stards - yes they provide employment but if their business is no longer viable then tough shit, there's no point in flogging a dead horse.

what about the old courthouse or applebys on athol street? do ya not think there nice new buildings? who whould want to invest in property here, have you walked round douglas recently, the whole place needs a facelift, plus theres nowt to do! compare this island to jersey and its like chalk and chesse! live by the sword die by the sword thats some statement!

Yeah they're nice enough buildings, so what are you saying - we should change a planning process that (in theory) applies to every business & individual on the island just to suit the company that built them? 90% of businesses on this island with hard working employees get no concessions from goverment at all, many don't even get asked to quote for the closed shop government work.

Don't get me wrong fella, if you stand to loose your job then you have my deepest sympathies & I believe government should give you all the support possible be it benefits, retraining - whatever you need really - but do I feel sorry for your current employers or believe government should help them out, do I f@$k.

Archived