Dandara At It Again.

mister meaner

In my opinion Dandara's problems are not down to the planning system they are down to the world recession (there has been some mention of this in the world media in case anyone missed it). They are just looking for excuses for having to lay off staff but don't want to admit the reason is primarily financial.

Anyone losing their job has my full sympathy but the Government cannot continually support or bail out certain employment sectors.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion Dandara's problems are not down to the planning system they are down to the world recession (there has been some mention of this in the world media in case anyone missed it). They are just looking for excuses for having to lay off staff but don't want to admit the reason is primarily financial.

Anyone losing their job has my full sympathy but the Government cannot continually support or bail out certain employment sectors.

so mojo the government cant support certain employment sectors? why would u say that if ya cant get a job u are funded by the state simple as, why do we pay r stamp and national insurance? do we just pay that for the hell of it? now for ur information up 2 40 men are getting made redundent this week at dandara, how do u suppose these men support them selves if they cant get a job? and before ya bring the boat thing into it a good majoraty are locals

so mojo the government cant support certain employment sectors? why would u say that if ya cant get a job u are funded by the state simple as, why do we pay r stamp and national insurance? do we just pay that for the hell of it? now for ur information up 2 40 men are getting made redundent this week at dandara, how do u suppose these men support them selves if they cant get a job? and before ya bring the boat thing into it a good majoraty are locals

Sorry but you appear to have missed the point I was making. We are in a world recession and unfortunately the truth is that continual bail outs from the Government cannot go on forever. It is sad when anyone loses their job but with Dandara I honestly believe that is down to the lack of funding options rather than the speed of the planning system. Dandara have planning approvals for different types of developments but are choosing not to start them because the funding and market simply isn't there.

My sympathy goes out to those losing their jobs.

Live by the sword - die by the sword. A lot of people have made a lot of money from peppering the island with poor quality cardboard box houses & tearing down hotels to build bland appartment blocks.

There is absolutely no reason to change planning or any other rules to suit these greedy b'stards - yes they provide employment but if their business is no longer viable then tough shit, there's no point in flogging a dead horse.

what about the old courthouse or applebys on athol street? do ya not think there nice new buildings? who whould want to invest in property here, have you walked round douglas recently, the whole place needs a facelift, plus theres nowt to do! compare this island to jersey and its like chalk and chesse! live by the sword die by the sword thats some statement!

After yesterdays tragic news from Jersey, seems appropriate.

If I was cynical, I might think that Dandara would like Planning in Principal on vacant lands as that would increase the asset value of their land bank.

As for men being laid off, tough, it's the nature of the building trade. The Government spend monies all the time keeping smaller firms going with their departmental contracts. As Dandara set it's stall out in property development, it is no-ones fault they are in a situation they have to lay off but their own.

why do we pay r stamp and national insurance? do we just pay that for the hell of it?

I read into that as that you are mean a Self Employed stamp and a National Insurance one ? Being that if you were cards in, you would only pay NI.

Are these up to 40 people who are being layed off, Self Employed or cards in?

If they are cards in, it seems strange how they suddenly have no work for 40 people in one go. If they are Self Employed, then the answer is in the title, they work for themselves,so they go find work.

If not, they sign on. That is what you pay Self Employed stamps for as the NI is less than for cards in.

If I was cynical, I might think that Dandara would like Planning in Principal on vacant lands as that would increase the asset value of their land bank.

As for men being laid off, tough, it's the nature of the building trade. The Government spend monies all the time keeping smaller firms going with their departmental contracts. As Dandara set it's stall out in property development, it is no-ones fault they are in a situation they have to lay off but their own.

why do we pay r stamp and national insurance? do we just pay that for the hell of it?

I read into that as that you are mean a Self Employed stamp and a National Insurance one ? Being that if you were cards in, you would only pay NI.

Are these up to 40 people who are being layed off, Self Employed or cards in?

If they are cards in, it seems strange how they suddenly have no work for 40 people in one go. If they are Self Employed, then the answer is in the title, they work for themselves,so they go find work.

If not, they sign on. That is what you pay Self Employed stamps for as the NI is less than for cards in.

I think that this is not correct.

Everyone pays National Insurance according to different classes. Self Employed is just one class of National Insurance and at the end of the day accounts are rendered and both tax and further National Insurance is or may be due.

Many years ago it was the case that the self-employed could not collect "the Dole"...or as it was then...Unemployment Benefit....How could you be "unemployed" if you were "self employed"?

This has long changed. (Assuming that the Isle of Man has mirrored the UK which it usually does)

For many years now Unemployment Benefit has been called "Job Seekers Allowance"...ie you get it (if entitled) for looking for a job (sort of expenses)...It comes as Contribution Related Job Seekers Allowance (Have you got enough stamps?) and Income Related Job Seekers Allowance (How poor are you?) and fringe benefits such as free NHS Dental Care and Glasses are graded accordingly.

Self-employed people can receive Job Seekers Allowance and more because even if self-employed they can still be "actively seeking work"....

I too was surprised at this and should have realised but my niece, who is self-employed being an actor, has recently been in and out of work having paid Self Employed National Insurance and yet on occasions has received Job Seekers Allowance plus expenses for attending auditions.

I believe that the Isle of Man broadly mirrors the UK and thus the "out of work" self-employed can claim Job Seekers Allowance or one of the two types as above.

As self employed they will be due to pay both class 2 and class 4 to the tax department, and a weekly self employed stamp.

And even if they are behind on their contributions they will receive supplementary benefit.

Supplementary Benefit was abolished in the UK in 1988.

The Isle of Man retained it.

Am I right in saying that it is however subject to a residential qualification? ie not everyone will get it?

Come to think of it. I was unemployed at one time and got the then Unemployment Benefit (Now Job Seekers Allowance)under the Reciprocal Agreement but no more ie £44 a week then.

Because I still needed a Work Permit I could not then get Supplementary Benefit...Have things changed since then?...I think you have to be a Manx Worker? ie no Work Permit required. Is this correct?

dont know never needed a work permit barrie, or supplementary benefit for that matter.

it was stated above that at one time self-employed could not get dole, i think there was a little fact in it, however theres always been exceptions, fishermen could always claim due to bad weather and being stuck in harbour, and out of work self-employed would get supplementary between contracts/work.

heres a link that may help.

http://www.gov.im/treasury/incometax/nic.xml

self employed apparently cannot claim job-seekers, altho i know 3 self employed window cleaners who sign on during periods of bad weather, example being last winter during the snow, so it has to be supplementary benefit they got, as they are not job-seekers, like fishermen they had work, they just couldnt complete it.

eligible for Jobseeker's Allowance

Class 1

Yes

Class 2

No

Class 3

No

So only class 1 payers eligible.

I don't live in a Dandara house, nor have I ever owned one.

I fail to see though why so many Manx people (yes, I am one) have such a downer on them. Where would the 1000's of Dandara residents be living now if Dandara hadn't come to the Island?

Living in almost identical houses and saying exactly the same things but about a company with a different name!?

Market forces demand!

Was chatting to a neigbour the other day and he told me his grand daughter has to come up with £28k before the bank will touch her.

How can people raise that cash and live at the same time?

The building booms come and go, and so do the builders.

dont know never needed a work permit barrie, or supplementary benefit for that matter.

it was stated above that at one time self-employed could not get dole, i think there was a little fact in it, however theres always been exceptions, fishermen could always claim due to bad weather and being stuck in harbour, and out of work self-employed would get supplementary between contracts/work.

heres a link that may help.

http://www.gov.im/treasury/incometax/nic.xml

self employed apparently cannot claim job-seekers, altho i know 3 self employed window cleaners who sign on during periods of bad weather, example being last winter during the snow, so it has to be supplementary benefit they got, as they are not job-seekers, like fishermen they had work, they just couldnt complete it.

eligible for Jobseeker's Allowance

Class 1

Yes

Class 2

No

Class 3

No

So only class 1 payers eligible.

Fishermen and Share Fishermen have always been a special category. One supposes that window cleaners are much the same as they too may not "go out" due to the weather hence apparently on the Isle of Man they get "Supp Ben". (They do not need Job Seekers Allowance as they are not "seeking" ...Job Seekers or JSA is for the unemployed actively seeking)

I am referring to Job Seekers Allowance which the unemployed yet Self-employed can get based on either Contribution Related or Income Related terms. (In the UK Income Related is best 'cos you get free dentistry and free 'specs which you don't get on Contribution based JSA...Maybe IOM is the same?)

The full details can be found on the IOM Govt's website on Job Seekers etc. (This is a major special feature)

One reason why the IOM remains within the reciprocal agreement on some benefits is so that those working over there can pay National Insurance and yet not lose out should they have to leave and for the Isle of Man it means that the Island can export its unemployed!

The Island does mirror the UK on Job Seekers because I recall that when introduced from the UK the IOM Govt was not keen but someone from London came over and said that they were prepared to sever the entire National Insurance/Benefits link if the Island did not comply and reciprocate...

They cant be that skint.... LINK

Land exchange will benefit school

A LAND exchange at Michael Primary School will benefit pupils, says Eddie Teare, Minister for Education and Children.

The Department of Education and Children has entered into an agreement with neighbouring landowner Pinecrest Investments Ltd and developer Heritage Homes Ltd over a land exchange, the Minister announced today.

The agreement is subject to planning approval being obtained for residential development of land behind the school.

Under the agreement, Heritage Homes Ltd will progress a planning application within three months. The basis of the agreement is:

• The Department will convey 0.63 acres of part of the school’s corner field, fronting Douglas Road, to the landowner, to afford access to a new housing development on land already zoned for residential development.

• The Department will receive 2.01 acres of land to the north and east (rear) of the school site from the landowner.

• The developer will create a new sports pitch, hard play area and boundary works, including ball-stop fencing, boundary fencing, gates, walls, ramps, paths and landscaping, at no cost to the Department. Land will also be kept clear to allow for the future enlargement of the school.

A covenant will prevent the development of more than 100 homes on the zoned land, and any development on the land beyond that accessed through the zoned land, without the DEC’s agreement. Minister Teare said the land behind the school was zoned for residential use.

Through purchasing properties on Douglas Road, the developers had secured an alternative means of access to the zoned land anyway.

Lengthy negotiations had ensured the school benefited from relinquishing some land to allow the developer better access, he commented.

‘If we hadn’t acted, there was the strong potential of development up to our existing rear boundary. We needed to protect the future of the school,’ Mr Teare said.

‘Negotiating with the landowner/developer to buy additional land at the rear, if/when they secure residential planning approval could have cost between £0.5 and £1 million and we wouldn’t have seen the added benefits.

‘The securing of an additional 1.38 acres of land, the provision of a sports pitch and new hard play area and land to the north of the school for future classroom development, as and when rolls dictate, is of definite advantage to the school.’

Only this time the paddys aint got anything to go home to workwise.

London Olympics site for another 12 months - and then the rekitting of the athletes village to turn them into homes?

On second thoughts not rekitting them; taking them down and exporting them back to the former Soviet Union (where it appears they were designed) and reconstructing them in Novosibirsk?

post-6975-0-06229000-1314027289_thumb.jpg

Archived