Anagh Coar Homes To Get New Gold Plated Kitchens

Silentbob

From the MR Website

"That work, involving around 50 homes, will cost about £500,000 and further phases will follow, in the capital and elsewhere on the Island."

£10K average per kitchen???? What are they installing? Thermo-nuclear reactors in place of ovens?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the latest in kitchen tech: The Get-Me-Re-Elected-1000.

Comes with built-in corpy support to ensure your hubby gets five more years on the gravy train.

Cynical? Moi? :ph34r:

Even taking into account labour costs, I can't even begin to understand why a kitchen will cost 10k. I've modernised two houses, both requiring a completely new kitchen. Both times these cost £1500. So where does the other £8500 go?

Even my parents in their £500k house in the country didn't feel the need to spunk 10 grand on a kitchen!

F**k me they really have lost the plot :blink:

I hate our politicians. I heard this woman banging on about installing lifts in Lord Street this morning, again at the expense of the ever-weary taxpayer. Oh no, people can't be moved to another subsidised flat - it's their HOME. What must happen instead is that I must pay for their intransigence and buy them a fucking lift. Oh, and a new kitchen for 10 grand.

Have any of you had a quote from B&B, Magnet, B&Q etc? You don't get much change from £10k (installed) for a reasonably sized kitchen with integrated appliances. They'll be buying top quality for the "longevity factor" as well.

Saying that I'd expect a bloody good discount for 50 kitchens!

The lift has been turned down and I advised them to reassess the kitchens and the cost of same.

It is not just the cost but the fact they are being done at all. Listening to the clip it seems to be another work creation scheme by the Govt in these difficult times!

The criteria is stated as "It's understood anybody whose local authority home is more than 15 years old will be eligible to apply to be included in the programme" FFS my kitchen is nearly 14 years old and does not need replacing, although in that time the dishwasher has been replaced, so why should they need replacing in social housing. Even if we wanted to update if it looked out of date it would not cost much as all thay would be required is to replace doors and the surfaces of units. The units themselves are fine

People seem to think that they will be voted in if they undertake unnecessary jobs such as road widening, cobble stone removing, building cladding, prison building, heath care centre constructing, railing painting, council house renovating, traffic island creating etc. I will be looking to vote for someone who have a more level headed approach to matters.

I hate our politicians. I heard this woman banging on about installing lifts in Lord Street this morning, again at the expense of the ever-weary taxpayer. Oh no, people can't be moved to another subsidised flat - it's their HOME. What must happen instead is that I must pay for their intransigence and buy them a fucking lift. Oh, and a new kitchen for 10 grand.

'this woman' was the Corporation's new Chairman of Housing - Carol Malarkey, Bill Malarkey's wife.

See Amadeus post above, for further details.

It's the latest in kitchen tech: The Get-Me-Re-Elected-1000.

Comes with built-in corpy support to ensure your hubby gets five more years on the gravy train.

Cynical? Moi? :ph34r:

Complete bollocks, who is electioneering.

See Theo's post above. It's so blindingly obvious, it hurts.

And your claim is that the refurbishment of the properties is her idea, and that it is blatant electioneering, so over to you, tell us how long she has been in the job, then how long these re-furbishments have been in the pipe-line, then the design stage, when was planning consent/local government approval sought and granted.

Its just part of an on-going program of old property refurb.

Why do you think the department cut the LAs maintainance budgets 3 years ago from 33% of rentals reciepts to 30%, that 10% cut alone will foot the above bill, they do not need as much maintainence after a refurb, so the LAs budgets were cut, local authorities are no more than glorified rental agents.

Maybe reading the corpys budget reports may be more beneficial to you than spouting shite from the other-side of the world, about things that hardly concern you even if you did come back here for another 5 mins living with us.

And this is what she actually said.

A huge Island-wide programme of replacing kitchen units in local authority houses is underway.

It's being arranged through the Department of Social Care and the first Douglas phase will involve homes on the Anagh Coar estate.

That work, involving around 50 homes, will cost about £500,000 and further phases will follow, in the capital and elsewhere on the Island.

Chairman of Douglas Council's Public Health and Housing Committee, Carol Malarkey, says she and her colleagues were initially against such large sums being spent in the current economic climate, but understands why the department wants the work to be done:

It's understood anybody whose local authority home is more than 15 years old will be eligible to apply to be included in the programme.

Geddit now "The Department"

Archived