Does It Matter If A Candidate Is Not 'manx' Or Island Born?

Albert Tatlock

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Are only people born here Manx?

yes

Can I Quote from the MANX NATIONAL ANTHEM first line :-"Oh Land of Our BIRTH". Not "rebirth" , "Low Tax" or "Better than any of the Manx at my Job"

Can I quote from the SAME, second verse :-

It's pointless quoting from that - was written by an Englishmen anyway

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ain't gonna vote for a 'born and bred' milkman or postman because he/she is Manx. You vote for whoever is the best qualified for the job. Being literate with a good understanding of politics, economics, public service, tax and budget control should be a prerequisite. You don't get English MPs saying as part of their manifestos that they know every road in their constituency because they used to drive a van there.

Have to agree with Merkin here. I don't care whether they are Manx or English. I would however like them to have a degree standard education in politics and or accountancy. The "good old boy" system of politics have been tried and have hugely failed. Oh and another thing. Reduce the number of MHK's and get rid of all the bloody hangers on (mlc's etc etc)

It's opinions like this which make you wonder if democracy is a good idea! Degree level accountancy :rolleyes:

I ain't gonna vote for a 'born and bred' milkman or postman because he/she is Manx. You vote for whoever is the best qualified for the job. Being literate with a good understanding of politics, economics, public service, tax and budget control should be a prerequisite. You don't get English MPs saying as part of their manifestos that they know every road in their constituency because they used to drive a van there.

Have to agree with Merkin here. I don't care whether they are Manx or English. I would however like them to have a degree standard education in politics and or accountancy. The "good old boy" system of politics have been tried and have hugely failed. Oh and another thing. Reduce the number of MHK's and get rid of all the bloody hangers on (mlc's etc etc)

It's opinions like this which make you wonder if democracy is a good idea! Degree level accountancy :rolleyes:

I gather you are not a big fan of this idea then <_<

It's opinions like this which make me realise what a walter I really am! Degree level accountancy I should have thought of this first :rolleyes:

fixed

Aye i am now officially a Phil Gawne for chief minister man now, i have seen the light brothers. Yo spook you fuckwit it is # sentence #.

I stand corrected and bow to your superior grasp of the language. :lol:

No doubt Pauld has a delightful way with words, it would however be nice if he learned a few new ones.

It doesn't matter where they're born.

But if a candidate has lived nowhere but the Isle of Man they're likely to be inferior candidates.

They have no experience of the outside world. It's only when you've lived away from the island that you appreciate it properly (both its benefits and its pitfalls).

Big-fish-small-ponders don't get the chance to grow into something more rounded and maybe see that things can be done differently.

This seems to be why the scope of government issues have rarely been raised as serious issues in the election, so we'll carry on with inefficient buses, an airport that loses so much money, the government providing the biggest entertainment venue etc. It's what our politicians and people are used to and understand. They don't have the imagination or courage to really think differently.

The Manx political system encourages this conservatism. Anyone with a different view of things is going to have to be

phenomenally persuasive to get enough of his/her 32 fellow Tynwald members to do something unusual.

It's telling that the really innovative move for the island - low taxes - which encouraged the sort of economy we have now came when the lieutenant governor still wrote the budgets. This was not something dreamt up by elected MHKs.

Having said that, it's curious that the more Manx of the posters here (Barrie notwithstanding) tend to be the most miserable and also the most contemptous of Manx things. Familiarity breeds it, I suppose.

It doesn't matter where they're born.

But if a candidate has lived nowhere but the Isle of Man they're likely to be inferior candidates.

They have no experience of the outside world. It's only when you've lived away from the island that you appreciate it properly (both its benefits and its pitfalls).

Big-fish-small-ponders don't get the chance to grow into something more rounded and maybe see that things can be done differently.

This seems to be why the scope of government issues have rarely been raised as serious issues in the election, so we'll carry on with inefficient buses, an airport that loses so much money, the government providing the biggest entertainment venue etc. It's what our politicians and people are used to and understand. They don't have the imagination or courage to really think differently.

The Manx political system encourages this conservatism. Anyone with a different view of things is going to have to be

phenomenally persuasive to get enough of his/her 32 fellow Tynwald members to do something unusual.

It's telling that the really innovative move for the island - low taxes - which encouraged the sort of economy we have now came when the lieutenant governor still wrote the budgets. This was not something dreamt up by elected MHKs.

Having said that, it's curious that the more Manx of the posters here (Barrie notwithstanding) tend to be the most miserable and also the most contemptous of Manx things. Familiarity breeds it, I suppose.

I have never heard so much shit in all my life. "If a candidate has lived nowhere but the IOM they're likely to be inferior candidates" That is just absolute bollocks. A majority of candidates that have lived nowhere than the IOM have lived in the UK & the IOM, if that's your idea of the outside world then you need your head looking at.

I hardly think the UK could be held up as a shining example of a well governed country & certainly could not be considered as typical of the wider world.

You mention the inefficient buses & airport that looses loads of money but you don't suggest any solutions & then go on to accuse Manx politicians of not having the imagination or courage to think any differently, the irony. I suspect your solutions would involve privatisation & quangos cos that's what the outside world (UK) has done, despite the fact that it hasn't worked & they obviously lack the imagination or courage to try anything different.

Your kind of superior attitude is what gives weni's a bad name, if the place is that badly run then what the fuck are you still doing here, apart from avoiding paying what you owe in tax & taking food from the mouths of poor people in the outside world, or the UK as it is more accurately known.

I am Manx, born & bred but have lived & worked in several different countries (including the UK) in my time. Does that make me superior to the Manx candidates in the election who have only lived on the IOM? Does it fuck,

there are some excellent candidates standing & some good politicians who have served the island well. Manx history didn't start the day you stepped of the boat & nor will it end the day you step back on the boat so why don't you fuck off & whinge somewhere else? One of the countries I lived in used to call people like you whinging pommie bastards, they didn't have much time for you superior attitude either.

I suspect your solutions would involve privatisation

Without a shadow of a doubt they would.

No privatised bus company anywhere in the world pays its drivers £40,000 a year and expects the taxpayer to pick up the bill.

& no privatised bus company anywhere in the world runs services to the Point of Ayre or Dalby. Hasn't all your worldly experience of the UK taught you anything? If there's one area where privatisation has failed miserably it is public transport.

It's pointless quoting from that - was written by an Englishmen anyway

to to strictly accurate a Sicilian born to manx parents whilst working there - guess W H Gill picked up English habits by his education at King Billy's - must admit first time I've heard him described as an Englishman tho.

No it doesnt matter, though......When I hear the frequent caller Paul on Talking heads I often say to myself "Fuck off you Cockney C*&t".

I know Paul. He's Manx. I understand his accent has been picked up through years of Army service. So not really a Cockney C*&t at all!

Archived