Does It Matter If A Candidate Is Not 'manx' Or Island Born?

Albert Tatlock

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think any foreigners, norsemen etc, that have been buried here for a thousand years or more could be said to have earnt the right to be called manx.

Where do you want to be buried dec.

As to your Q, i would consider a child born in enland to real manx resident parents manx.

Only in your mind, crazy person.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Manx parents living in England but later to return.

Or to English parents who moved here when the child was young and spent all their lives here.

I had a boss once, only lived on the Island for a year but during that time his wife had a child. Is that child more Manx the above two?

It seems there's precious few people who define themselves as Manx as it is why reduce it further?

I don't understand the question regarding my burial? It's nothing to do with me I'll be dead, it's my family for whom it would be significant not me.

I think any foreigners, norsemen etc, that have been buried here for a thousand years or more could be said to have earnt the right to be called manx.

As to your Q, i would consider a child born in enland to real manx resident parents manx.

Only in your mind, crazy person.

So they would be english cos they were born premature whilst the manx mother was in england, not to me they wouldnt, they would be manx.

It clearly doesn’t matter one bit where you are from but it matters to me that we are honest about our background. If we can’t be honest about ourselves there is little hope of honesty thereon. It perhaps bothers me more about candidates who have not demonstrated a long-term commitment to the island or the constituency they stand for. For example, never having lived or worked in the constituency and not owning a property or permanent home on the island. I think it is important to many people that candidates should be fair to the electorate and not try to disguise where their roots or potentially where their loyalties lie. I do not doubt the word of candidates who promise their best intentions, but I’m sure many voters will have their suspicions and these won’t go away easily.

Makes my child 'Manglish'

I personally don't see it matters where a candidate comes from. I do think it is a commonly held misconception that some of the candidates from across often have better skills for IOM government than Manx candidates though,

I have yet to see an example of this. Also I think it is wrong that candidates must be a British citizen & I think that anybody the world over should be allowed to stand. You can't not discriminate with one hand & then discriminate with the other.

The only way to know if it's relevant would be to simply ask the island-born voters their opinion. Making it a question on an exit poll would work.

Something along the lines of:

"Can I just ask you few questions? Thank you. Firstly who did you vote for? Ahhh, thank you for that. And secondly are you island born? You are, good, so are you racially prejudiced? Well madam, there's no need for THAT kind of language I can assure you!"

Yep, works for me...

To cut through all this, I think the issue that Tatlock is trying to get at is whether it is possible to trust a Englishman.

The funeral was about wanting to be buried here or not, says abit about a none manx persons commitment to island life to me, afterall your buried or scattered here for a long time, manxman or not.

What if they buried with a three legs of mann carved on the casket? Or had the national anthem played at the funeral? Surely these possibilities count?

Also I think it is wrong that candidates must be a British citizen

I don't think that is the case, our very own Amadeus stood last time didn't he?

I was quoting Kevster in the private lives of candidates thread, but having re-read it it says "has to be a British citizen or have the right to remain on the Island" so you may well be right there. Although it is entirely possible that Amadeus is a British citizen.

The main point I was making was that anybody, regardless of where they come from or whether they have the "right" to remain here should be allowed to stand for election on the IOM, not just a select few who meet certain criteria, that's not democracy.

I ain't gonna vote for a 'born and bred' milkman or postman because he/she is Manx. You vote for whoever is the best qualified for the job. Being literate with a good understanding of politics, economics, public service, tax and budget control should be a prerequisite. You don't get English MPs saying as part of their manifestos that they know every road in their constituency because they used to drive a van there.

Archived