Does It Matter If A Candidate Is Not 'manx' Or Island Born?

Albert Tatlock

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Also I think it is wrong that candidates must be a British citizen

I don't think that is the case, our very own Amadeus stood last time didn't he?

I was quoting Kevster in the private lives of candidates thread, but having re-read it it says "has to be a British citizen or have the right to remain on the Island" so you may well be right there. Although it is entirely possible that Amadeus is a British citizen.

The main point I was making was that anybody, regardless of where they come from or whether they have the "right" to remain here should be allowed to stand for election on the IOM, not just a select few who meet certain criteria, that's not democracy.

I think only Manx born candidates should be allowed to stand for election.

They could then ensure that only Manx born workers are employed and only Manx grown Bananas and Mangos can be sold, which will be brought to the shop by Manx built trucks using the finest locally sourced Manx Diesel, refined from Manx oil.

It's the mix that makes it - from every day stuff to politics. I qualified to stand as I was on the island for 5+ years at the time. Didn't work out and this time round my job came first, but never say never - maybe next time I'll stand again so I can promise you Manx Bananas for a Manx Republic! Well, maybe I'll work on the slogans a bit until then...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ask this poll as a Manxman by the way.

Does it really matter if a candidate is Manx or/and was born here, or is it enough that he/she is committed and loyal to the island and dealing with it's national and international politics in the interests of islanders?

At then end of the day, there are few true Manx people left (with grandfathers born here etc.) and like it or not we all hold British passports and are classed as British citizens - as we are not an independent nation and are a crown dependency. According to the last published census in 2006, 56% of people living here were not born here (and god only knows what the figure will be when the 2011 census is published in early 2012).

For example, should voters vote for a person that was born here, in preference to someone more capable that was not?

I could understand the logic of voting for someone born here if the intellect and abilities of the Manx born candidate were on a par with another candidate not born here. But I do not understand that logic if the candidate is far more capable and fully committed to the island.

You can get the Full Monty on qualifications to be an MHK on www.gov.im/cso/election...

Apparently, you must be either a British citizen or have the right to remain in the Island and that depends on your landed/settled immigrant status under the UK Immigration Acts as they apply to the Island. ie Right to Remain...

(I am not sure if the Right to Remain is the same as Indefinite Leave to Stay. Many of the migrant workers after I think five years continuous work and etc do apply for Indefinite Leave to Stay...One way or another you may in time get some MHKs from the Philippines! And some Polish also!)

You must not be the holder of an office of profit under another government or territory.

You must be Ordinarily Resident five years. (As I read it)

Overall it does look as if anyone from an EU country having full rights in the UK likewise has the same in the Isle of Man and in time can stand for MHK...

Therefore it would appear that anyone from the EU can stand as MHK if Ordinarily Resident five years and so can anyone else provided that they have been legally accepted as an immigrant into the UK ie a settled and landed immigrant and by extension the Island.

I could have sworn that the application form and formal posters put up by returning officers said something special about the Irish from the Republic sort of being on par with British????

One way or another you may in time get some MHKs from the Philippines! And some Polish also!

When people live, work and settle in a community then this is what happens. Is there a problem with that Barrie?

I ask this poll as a Manxman by the way.

Does it really matter if a candidate is Manx or/and was born here, or is it enough that he/she is committed and loyal to the island and dealing with it's national and international politics in the interests of islanders?

At then end of the day, there are few true Manx people left (with grandfathers born here etc.) and like it or not we all hold British passports and are classed as British citizens - as we are not an independent nation and are a crown dependency. According to the last published census in 2006, 56% of people living here were not born here (and god only knows what the figure will be when the 2011 census is published in early 2012).

For example, should voters vote for a person that was born here, in preference to someone more capable that was not?

I could understand the logic of voting for someone born here if the intellect and abilities of the Manx born candidate were on a par with another candidate not born here. But I do not understand that logic if the candidate is far more capable and fully committed to the island.

As usual Polls are misleading. The most popular response to date is for 'Anyone with Manx National issues' at heart.

Would this include, teaching Manx as a main subject to all children: Subsidising travel to help increase Tourism. Banning :- TT - Steam Railway - Seagulls - Electric Trams - Horse Trams - MGP - Council Housing - Anyone who disagrees with Alan Bell - and low or no Tax for rich new - residents ?. All subjects which are unpopular with sections of the voting public, but which I suspect would not stop them voting for anyone with 'National Issues at heart'. Loaded question ?

The Irish from the Republic are also entitled to stand for MHK within the rules...I am not sure of the rules as regards people from the EU as the Island is not "in" for the "free movement of people" and thus EU people other than British and Irish may not be qualified to stand.

The Irish are able to stand for historical reasons and that established long before "Europe" when they had the right to stand and for MP in London also.

Whereas, in the UK, people wishing to stand as an MP must be over 18 years of age, and a British citizen, or citizen of a Commonwealth country or the Republic of Ireland.

Being born here or not should be irrelevant as to whether you are a fit and proper person to stand.

The vast majority of MHKs however (standing or hopefuls) all seem to cite the fact that they were born here as being important.

I certainly wouldn't vote for anyone on that basis, in fact it may even be a consideration do do the opposite.

There are those out there who if they see you 'as a good Manx fella' will vote for you because they knew your dad and he was a good Manx fella too, even if you are thick as S***.

It clearly doesn’t matter one bit where you are from but it matters to me that we are honest about our background. If we can’t be honest about ourselves there is little hope of honesty thereon. It perhaps bothers me more about candidates who have not demonstrated a long-term commitment to the island or the constituency they stand for. For example, never having lived or worked in the constituency and not owning a property or permanent home on the island. I think it is important to many people that candidates should be fair to the electorate and not try to disguise where their roots or potentially where their loyalties lie. I do not doubt the word of candidates who promise their best intentions, but I’m sure many voters will have their suspicions and these won’t go away easily.

Totally agree

The only way to know if it's relevant would be to simply ask the island-born voters their opinion. Making it a question on an exit poll would work.

Something along the lines of:

"Can I just ask you few questions? Thank you. Firstly who did you vote for? Ahhh, thank you for that. And secondly are you island born? You are, good, so are you racially prejudiced? Well madam, there's no need for THAT kind of language I can assure you!"

Yep, works for me...

No racism in the rest of the British Isles then. Do you have TV or read the papers ?

Are only people born here Manx?

yes

Can I Quote from the MANX NATIONAL ANTHEM first line :-"Oh Land of Our BIRTH". Not "rebirth" , "Low Tax" or "Better than any of the Manx at my Job"

Archived