Chief Minister: Allan Bell V Peter Karran

Amadeus

Chief Minister  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would seem that the vast amount of contributors to this subject have no time for either Peter Karran or Lib Van. Fair enough. If you believe that Alan Bell is the perfect choice you have short memories, or select ones. I wish Peter and the Lib Vans well though I doubt that we will hear much from them now that Mr Bell has kidnapped the Leader. Time will tell, and a big 'shame on you' that only resort to insults and foul mouthed abuse. You will get the society you deserve. That is unless you already have it. After Mr Bell being in every position of power within Government over recent years do you really think making him Chief Minister is going to provide all the answers to our problems, when he has been involved in so many of them? Good Luck Mr Bell [Ex Mec Vannin Candidate]

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are his policies now closet Mec Vannin policies?

Unlikely. As much as John's been touting Bell's nationalist credentials of late on the basis of having been a member of Mec Vannin, the party itself doesn't seem to hold him in much regard: Yn Pabyr Seyr has certainly poured its share of scorn on him, including describing him as 'disgraced' and calling for him to resign a few years ago, as well aas heavily criticizing policies he's been closely associated with.

Some might take that more an argument in favour of Bell; however, it does call into question the relevance of dragging up membership of a political party way back when as a means of saying something (positive or negative) about the man today.

Also, the quote about independence in the other thread isn't complete: it was shortly followed by

"But independence is a different concept from what it was 30 years ago. Given the inter-relations now of world economies we would still not be our own master"

Which isn't quite as ringing endorsement of the concept as the quote or the Celtic League has made out.

Has anyone else found MR’s coverage of anything LV related to be slightly to littered with cynicism?

The post CM election coverage on Mandate last week was a good example. James Davis did a piece from the House and the content and tone of initial commentary and questions put to Beecroft was not exactly impartial. Fair enough if this was based upon personal opinion, which clearly it was but if its going to be so weighted in future then that needs to be made clear from the outset. The contrast was quite clear when he moved onto Allan Bell in the same piece it was so sickly I nearly brought up my fruit and fibre.

I am not a LV fan nor am living in cloud cuckoo land and believe we could ever have complete media impartiality but MR do need to watch the tone of some of their pieces as it has marred some of their otherwise decent election coverage.

Archived