Chief Minister: Allan Bell V Peter Karran

Amadeus

Chief Minister  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

King Allan or Peter the Great - this could get interesting:

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/bell_and_karran_to_contest_chief_minister_s_job_1_3837730

ECONOMIC Development Minister Allan Bell and Liberal Vannin Party leader Peter Karran are the two names that have been put forward to replace Tony Brown as chief minister.

Tynwald will sit next Tuesday to elect the chief minister and each candidate will be required to produce a statement of policy ahead of that.

Although these are the names that have been put forward at this stage, it may not preclude others throwing their hat into the ring later.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Headline: Peter Karran: Manxforum's choice for Chief Minister

Body copy: Liberal Vannin leader Peter Karran had polled DOUBLE the number of votes of fellow contender Allan Bell in the race for the top job in Manx politics this morning (0900hrs). Meanwhile, Someone Else was showing strongly in second place with almost a third of the votes cast so far...

Personally, I think a deal has already been done with sufficient members to make sure Bell gets in.

However, we can't rule out the 2006 scenario, whereby the first round doesn't see anyone through, leaving the door open for a late entrant. So I still wouldn't rule out completely the chances of, perhaps, Shimmin (or maybe Teare will have a change of heart) coming in.

For anyone who thinks that this sort of scenario would be a good thing, I have two words of warning..................

Tony Brown.

Just imagine Bell maybe having annoyed a few members in the past for whatever reasons, resulting in them not voting for him and all the newbies voting PK. He could actually be CM. I'm just trying to work out what that would mean....

Is this the best we can do as a national government, to put up two candidates, one of which is very capable but has more skeletons in his cupboard than Braddan cemetery, and the other an effective but ill-equipped backbencher who for all his qualities patently lacks the right stuff for leadership ? This election for CM represents the people of the Isle of Man for goodness sake, even though we don't get a say in the candidates or the result, and I feel seriously short-changed. We needed a fresh start and we're not going to get one. Trumpton politics again.

Quite simply, neither of them possesses the essential qualities of leadership. Mr Rodan has done the electorate no favours by ducking out of the contest and neither have Messrs Teare & Shimmin. Once Bell is anointed, the UK press will have a field day recalling some of things he's been responsible for in the past and using it as proof-positive that this island of ours inevitably rewards corruption and deceit.

Headline: Peter Karran: Manxforum's choice for Chief Minister

Body copy: Liberal Vannin leader Peter Karran had polled DOUBLE the number of votes of fellow contender Allan Bell in the race for the top job in Manx politics this morning (0900hrs). Meanwhile, Someone Else was showing strongly in second place with almost a third of the votes cast so far...

Nah. Too many facts and figures in it. You'll never get a job in Manx Radio that way.

the UK press will have a field day recalling some of things he's been responsible for in the past and using it as proof-positive that this island of ours inevitably rewards corruption and deceit.

You really think so? I think the UK press will not give a rats ass what we do and who is chosen to run something akin to a local parish council in the UK.

They really should be concentrating on the band of dodgy politicians of their own, past and present. Dodgy dossiers, indebting the country in the region of 1 trillion £, fiddling expenses and so on.

I love this Island in many ways, but we need to realise how insignficant we are to the UK.

Whilst it might seem all practically done and dusted it ain't over till the fat lady sings. We are used to last minute surprises here.

I went for Rodan speaker, Teare CM and Bell Treasury. Actually, thinking more about it, Bell as CM with firm control over, and a good understanding of, the treasury, and not too bad in terms of presentation (TV/Radio), and with a fairly decent knowledge of economics - is the least-worst scenarios we could face IMO. He might well have put Craine back in treasury, but with her gone he needs someone else he can manipulate, control and direct, so I expect that may well be Teare this time around. I doubt Watterson will get treasury - views too independent IMO - though he may get a major job running the analysis of government (costs/remit/scope etc.), possibly with A.N. Other.

Even as CM, I imagine Bell will be spending 50% of his time with treasury types over the next 5 years. A treasury led government is exactly what is required this next 5 years. Critical in fact.

All this pain could have been avoided if they'd had more of a treasury led government in the last 5-10 years and hadn't wasted so much money, and started to tackle our bloated CS/PS. But treasury led government will be a good start this time around IMO.

I suspect what will happen is that a few will vote for AB and the LV two will vote for PK and many will spoil their papers in order that there's a second round when John Shimmin will enter the race. I think JS would be OK as CM with AB back at Treasury where he was happy and Eddie Teare at DED. I understand, from a very reliable source who wanted Annie Craine for CM, that AB isn't a good team player.

All this pain could have been avoided if they'd had more of a treasury led government in the last 5-10 years and hadn't wasted so much money, and started to tackle our bloated CS/PS. But treasury led government will be a good start this time around IMO.

Most of this pain was caused by a treasury-led government - and one, moreover that was mostly led by the said Mr Bell.

Archived