Chief Minister: Allan Bell V Peter Karran

Amadeus

Chief Minister  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

John Wright and %age - thanks for the info.

With the tellers I was also thinking that if a member rather than an official is collecting them up and then counting them, the teller would be able to work things out on a 'if it's second from the top it must be x' basis. But it may just be a ritual of collection and they hand the slips to the Clerk unopened.

Mind you, with the slips unidentifiable, a teller with a photocopier and a gift for sleight of hand could have it sown up.smile.png

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me this sad process shows up the problems with the Island's political system.

Tynwald is too small to provide any effective form of opposition, as a result it will always be senior members of the last Comin who will be dominant - other than the Speaker where Mr Rodan seems to be following a Brown strategy - sit quiet in a wig, but become well known, while members of Comin have to deal with events (dear boy, events).

So this election consists of the biggest surviving hitter and the only politician who has made a career out of saying no to everything comin has done.

There is no way whatsoever Mr Karran is upto the job so it has to be Bell, unless there are some real spoilt paper shenanigans - but with two such imbalanced candidates, I'm doubtful anything will happen - alot of MHKs will have to spoil their votes to stop Bell getting a majority - how many are really going to vote for Karran?

Is Bell suitable? I'm honestly not sure.

I feel he was fully aware that the IOM's vat agreement was over generous - I can remember him highlighting its importance to the Island's economy.

Knowing the gravy train couldn't go on, has he been sensible in managing the purse strings at a sustainable level, or has he expanded government unsustainably with serious consequences when the gravy train stops.

I'm sure he'll say he used the extra VAT money to build better infrastructure etc. but lack of control and oversight let these balloon massively, and the Civil service ballooned too, leaving a much larger state to be paid for even when these infrastructure proejcts come to an end.

Now we are facing the bust, there is some justice in Bell having to sort it out - but also the bust is as bad as it is due to his earlier management of the public purse.

Is he up to the job? I've no idea.

I'll say he's an experienced IOM politician who does have a certain amount of gravitas - more than Brown at any rate!

But I am very disappointed that there is not going to be a real contest, where the candidates have to lay out proper realistic policies etc.

Karran isn't up to that, and Bell will be able to stick to platitudes and waffle and still be elected.

Tynwald has to be reformed to give a better separation of powers with the centre of gravity moved away from Comin dominance.

Or else there will never be a break from the old regime and a genuine contest of policies rather than waffle and personalities.

Excellent contribution!

With the tellers I was also thinking that if a member rather than an official is collecting them up and then counting them, the teller would be able to work things out on a 'if it's second from the top it must be x' basis. But it may just be a ritual of collection and they hand the slips to the Clerk unopened.

Mind you, with the slips unidentifiable, a teller with a photocopier and a gift for sleight of hand could have it sown up.smile.png

Oh, and don't forget that there was a vote in the House of Keys not so longer, for a member of Legislative Council that totalled 25 members in the House......

Edited to add and back on topic.

With the Island heading into deep shit, maybe Peter Karran could be getting set up. Someone's got to carry the can and it ain't Tony Brown ("phew...just made it"). Or Donald Gelling, who by the way, used to brag about rather having to deal with the problems of success rather than the problems of failure. When you are being given an extra £1,000,000 VAT revenue over and above what the country has earned, then even a tractor salesman could run a country.

Oh, and don't forget that there was a vote in the House of Keys not so longer, for a member of Legislative Council that totalled 25 members in the House......

Edited to add and back on topic.

With the Island heading into deep shit, maybe Peter Karran could be getting set up. Someone's got to carry the can and it ain't Tony Brown ("phew...just made it"). Or Donald Gelling, who by the way, used to brag about rather having to deal with the problems of success rather than the problems of failure. When you are being given an extra £1,000,000 VAT revenue over and above what the country has earned, then even a tractor salesman could run a country.

Was it not about a $1,000,000 vat every day and a half.........................

(My Pound sign is on the blink)

With respect to the two named candidates, the Isle of Man now needs a Chief Executive as a Chief Minister and, to my mind Chris Robertshaw is the only man for the job. What's needed is someone with serious business acumen and even more serious common sense. The fact that he's not long in the Keys is, in my book, irrelevant. Just because Bell and Karran have Government experience counts for nothing in the current economic climate.

It very much looks as if it is is all sorted, much the same as last time the two contenders do not get enough support so the wild card enters the ring and heigh ho democracy reigns? Surely there must be another method of filling this crucial position? The worst scenario is that Henderson or Houghton get their paws on the buses and every bus will have to travel to the destination planned via Willaston as I am assured that this was Bill and Bens election promise to the good people of Willaston in exchange for their vote.

I firmly disagree. I think Bell would be far better than Robertshaw. Bell has a detailed knowledge of treasury, taxation and economics - plus experience of dealing with international types on the same issues.

The Chief Executive role of a relatively small group is nowhere near the same league. Equivalent to a conference footballer expecting to make it in the Premiership on day 2 of his 'career'.

Never heard so much bollocks.

I firmly disagree. I think Bell would be far better than Robertshaw. Bell has a detailed knowledge of treasury, taxation and economics - plus experience of dealing with international types on the same issues.

The Chief Executive role of a relatively small group is nowhere near the same league. Equivalent to a conference footballer expecting to make it in the Premiership on day 2 of his 'career'.

I am no fan of Bell, but there seem to be a group who think the sun shine's out of Roberstshaw's backside.

Robertshaw may prove himself to be a very fine MHK and Minister but presently he has done diddly squat to make that judgment on due to his limited time since election. I have also been distictly underwhelmed by his contributions on here in the past.

He might be better off back in the Treasury then. I've nothing against him personally but he is not inspiring leadership material

Really hope this is the last time these backroom shenanigans go on. At least Chris Robertshaw has published a new agenda for government

quite. If he didn't post on here he would be dismissed as a novice clown, like the rest,

Even though I don't think his posting on here has been particularly impressive, I have to agree; perhaps not as a 'novice clown', but there wouldn't be quite so much fawning going on. That said, such fawning is overinflated by his on call cheerleading team on here.

Archived