Hermes - Who Does Their Deliveries Here?

modey

I know it's not one of the big companys as i've seen a guy in car turn up with a parcel once. They seem to just contract it out to anyboby

I'm expecting a parcel today that according to the tracking arrived at the couriers at 9am this morning, but it hasn't arrived.

Not really surprised as previous experience with these and it can be days before it actually gets delivered, seems like whoever it is just hordes the parcels until they can be arsed going out.

Anyone know who it is?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not yodel, they are usually very good, this lot just hold onto parcels and deliver when they feel like it..

We have had stuff that's supposedly been out for delivery for a whole week, I think they just hold onto the stuff until they happen to be 'going that way' or wait for a build up of parcels so they can deliver them all at once.

Terrible, terrible service!

You should be pleased that the Home Delivery Network exists - for many items they are much cheaper AFAIK meaning that it is feasible for companies to deliver here (especially with respect to items which are frequently returned - eg clothing, shoes etc).

I can help with this one. I think Hermes are the biggest home delivery firm in the UK, but whether they are or not, here's how it works:

Your goods are sent by your supplier to Hermes and eventually end up at Nuneaton, where their main depot, or hub, is based. Trailers are then dispersed to various sub depots; in our case, they're taken to Heysham where the trailer is loaded onto the evening boat for the overnight crossing. At Douglas, the trailer is collected by Manx Independent Carriers and taken to their depot at Snugborough, where Hermes goods are stored in a separate warehouse to await collection by your courier. I think that in some cases, Manx Indy deliver the goods to the courier if they live out in the sticks.

Now then, a word about the couriers; these unfortunates are taken on by Hermes on a self-employed basis, and have to use their own vehicle, paying for their own petrol, and of course, maintainance costs. They get absolutely nothing from Hermes to this end. They receive no holiday entitlement at all, and if they actually wish for a day off, they must nominate a substitute courier to cover in their absence.

When the courier recieves the parcels, or collects them, they must sort them out and scan the goods with a provided scanning machine, then load them onto their vehicle. Note that the courier will not be paid at all during this process, however long it takes. They only recieve any pay once a parcel has been delivered and signed for, and I think that the rate is the princely sum of about 50 pence per parcel, - if it's that much. The fun continues for 5 days, or more likely, evenings, per week. They must also deliver catalogues for Next, for which they can wallow in the riches of about 20 pence per catalogue.

Consider also that many of the couriers also work at other (main) jobs, and that the above must be done in their own time. I've even heard whispers that Hermes couriers haven't had a pay rise for about 12 or 14 years, that's YEARS, and that the firm were even covered by Watchdog or a similer TV consumer programme.

If you receive a late parcel, or don't recieve one at all, I'd take it up with Hermes. Otherwise, I'm more than a little puzzled as to where they actually come into it at all, apart from presumably living the high life on fat profits. As for the couriers, it's a thankless, punishing life, particularly on the run-in to Christmas, and whoever and wherever you are, I earnestly salute you, because I'm buggered if I'd do it.

• 4 weeks later...

Large Hermes deliveries come through Island Carriers at Snugborough. Smaller, normal sized ones are sent out via independent small homey people. I was worried about the lady who delivered my last parcel, as according to the site, she had been out delivering since the Friday at 4.30am and didn't get to me until Monday! She said her arms were aching from the swim. They deliver as soon as they get the parcels, its just that the parcels come by boat from the depot across and therefore don't show up on the system after they have been released.

Hermes website has a form if you are interested in doing deliveries here.......

My misses has been wating for something to be delivered to her office since 5th December. She ordered from M&M direct. Keeps updating on the tracking saying failed delivery attempt, but someone is always there and no attempts made. After calling M&M several times, who have no way to communicate with Hermes, other than email, she called last night and has asked for a refund. Not a great service.

Ohh.... I'm panicking big time now... They have had my items since 13th. I'm sick of calling the post offices, they answer straight on the defence and I get no information??!!

Why is this aloud?

Just contacted them, this is what I got back-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an automated e mail, please do not reply

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We apologise, but are unable to deal directly with you regarding your parcel enquiry.

Please contact the company with whom you placed your order.

Thank you.

ARGHHH!! The company sent in on the 13th??

Archived