Hawthorn Pub - Peel Road, Between Greeba/st Johns

JumpUp

I got processed meat.

What did you order? Did you complain at the time?

A Sunday roast is not processed meat. I've always been quite impressed with the Hawthorn, so I'd be surprised if you were served spam in place of roast gammon, and if it'd happened to me I'd have sent it back.

i've always received what was asked for,and of maybe 10/15 of a party NOT one complaint,great pub grub.

No not Spam. It looked like it was rolls the way it was sliced. Lamb thin and chewy, turkey again looked like a roll. I couldn't tell if the sliced lamb was beef or lamb tbh.

i'm convinced your just a whinging bastard.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Boned and Rolled Lamb, shoulder or leg, is a perfectly normal way to present a Lamb roast and a highly skilled bit of butchering. It does look like pieces of meat stuck together but it is the natural muscle layout without the bone therein. It allows carving across the grain rather than with the grain which would result in long fibre strands which would be stringy and tougher to chew.

Really? Only the Cajun Chicken is good? Out of their extensive menu?

This is a Copmpanies' reputation and many staff jobs that you are so cavalier in your critisism about.

Boned and Rolled Lamb, shoulder or leg, is a perfectly normal way to present a Lamb roast and a highly skilled bit of butchering. It does look like pieces of meat stuck together but it is the natural muscle layout without the bone therein. It allows carving across the grain rather than with the grain which would result in long fibre strands which would be stringy and tougher to chew.

Really? Only the Cajun Chicken is good? Out of their extensive menu?

This is a Copmpanies' reputation and many staff jobs that you are so cavalier in your critisism about.

It's an opinion. Wise up.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Because it was such a lovely day and we were going out for lunch, we decided to go to the Hawthorne again today and sit upstairs on the outside area.

Three of us dining and all very impressed again with the meals.

I can not remember when I had such a tasty meal as I had today ( Caribbean Chicken ) definitely 10/10, the other two meals equally as good.

I can't praise this place enough.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Because it was such a lovely day and we were going out for lunch, we decided to go to the Hawthorne again today and sit upstairs on the outside area.

Three of us dining and all very impressed again with the meals.

I can not remember when I had such a tasty meal as I had today ( Caribbean Chicken ) definitely 10/10, the other two meals equally as good.

I can't praise this place enough.

Thank you.

Three posts on the bounce about the place, anyone would think you were advertising their wares. We got the drift from your first post.

• 2 months later...

We were there a couple of weeks ago. Lovely serving staff and food was all arrived hot and pretty quickly. The place was packed which is obviously a good sign.

Starters were great. Roast beef was good. All fresh, hot and well cooked. Caribbean chicken sounded promising on paper but lacked anything Caribbean including seasoning or spice.

Food aside, I thought the general tone of the place was rather unwelcoming with messages left all over the place about controlling your children "so we don't have to" and threats of fining for flushing contraband items down toilets etc. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but I felt these messages could be written in a more positive way that didn't make guests feel like they were having passive aggressive post-it notes left on the fridge by an irritated housemate.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived