Hawthorn Pub - Peel Road, Between Greeba/st Johns

JumpUp

Went for a Sunday roast at the Hawthorn a few months back. Was overpriced and the roast was definitely below average. Hardly any meat, what i did receive was tough and had loads of fat on it, and i got hardly any vegetables at all. Was around £10.50 if i remember correctly. When i paid, the lady asked if everything was OK, and i was honest and told her the roast was one of the poorer ones i've had, and overpriced for what it was.

Been twice to the Hawthorn now in 7 years, each time i go, i remember why i said i would never go back.

Back to the Archie or Highwayman for me.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Been twice in recent months. Spot on each time. Delicious food. It can be a bit uncomfortably chilly in the room sometimes. Much better than average pub grub but then it is really set up as a restaurant and the prices reflect this. I would be annoyed if I had a poor meal at their prices but happily this has never been the case and I definitely recommend it.

Agree with the quality of the food....pie and chips special of the day was really tasty - but the atmosphere can be akin to the dining room of a residential home...... would go back but wouldn't rush.

Consistently good food, apart from the Sunday roasts, don't bother. Apart from that very nice, which it should be really for the prices. I think they're a touch on the expensive side for what it is but I suppose they need to add a few quid on each meal to make up for the fact it's never full when you go.

I've had the opposite experience LXXX. Even in mid week, most recently last week, full whenever I've been there, so I got the impression they price it to what the market will stand to keep the place well loaded. No point in being any cheaper than that.

• 2 months later...

Party of five us were at the Hawthorn for lunch yesterday. On a damp Thursday and the place was packed, every table was taken. I doubt if many restaurants on the Island could match that.

The food by everyone in our group was judged to be excellent.

Two of us had the queenies which which were spot on, one had a prawn Cocktail which went down well and two didn't bother with starters.

I had the fillet steak for a main which came on a rosti with two very large home-made onion rings, mushroom, tomato, a little sauce pan of peppercorn sauce and a bowl of chips. The chips other than a couple went untouched as the rosti was more than enough potato.

Other mains were sirloin steak, beef stroganoff and two had lamb shanks.

No deserts or coffees, as just a bit too full.

Bill came to £130.00, which included three glasses of wine and a couple of rounds of soft drinks.

Well recommended.

• 1 year later...

Went on Mothers Day, place packed out. Excellent Sunday Lunch, freshly made soup, nice roast with vegetables and sticky toffee pud for dessert. Good value - not many places can match it. Don't expect cordon bleu or Michelin Star, but what the Island can offer it does well

I got processed meat.

What did you order? Did you complain at the time?

A Sunday roast is not processed meat. I've always been quite impressed with the Hawthorn, so I'd be surprised if you were served spam in place of roast gammon, and if it'd happened to me I'd have sent it back.

Archived