Tips For Fatties?

Tango

If you can, walk to work. If it's a bit far, get your bike fixed and cycle in. I've been walking in now for about a month and I feel so much better just from doing that.

I'm currently 21 stone (6' 5"). I have a mountain bike and I've never buckled the wheels on it (mind you, when I do ride it, I only ever ride it on the road, I don't go off road with it - maybe that has something to do with your wheel damage if you're off-roading on it).

I'd agree with what Unisol says about drinking water too (although I didn't know it had that benefit tbh). I used to drink loads of tea and coffee each day at work and then go on the lager after work. I feel a lot better now from only having the occassional cup of tea and the odd lager at weekends and I don't mind drinking water the rest of the time.

A good, balanced diet is the key though and like Unisol says, keep your body guessing by varying what you eat (ie, don't have a fixed menu each day or on set days of the week as your body will know what to expect and 'store' certain food groups.

The best book I've read to date is 'you are what you eat' by Gillian McKeith (sp). It's a bit complex in parts but it does give you a very good grounding in food and what the effects of certain foods have on your body.

One thing is for sure, it's a long hard road and there are no shortcuts. You've done so well to lose 4 stone (I'd love to lose that much, but so far I've only lost 21lbs). Stick with it dude, you'll see so many benefits in the long run.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

apparently if you like your beer you can go on a vodka diet which envolves you swopping a pint :o for a glass of water with a shot or two of vodka in it :blink: it is ment to work as vodka has NO calories in it :D

No one can take the xxxx out of an overweight person in a gym. it just doesn't work, all you can get is admiration and encouragement.

tip: only eat uncooked foods. if you have to cook it, DON'T eat it. just eat salads etc, i know it sounds stupid, but get a guide to making salads etc, they are frigging brilliant, and, armed with a book you can make some seriously tasty stuff that will fill you up.

my friend is a healthy bugger and he hasn't cooked ANYTHING for over a month, check the M&S salad range to give you ideas.

mountain bikes will easy take ur weight, if you bought one for 99 quid okay i'm not surprised the wheels broke but you can put some uprated wheels on it for about 35 quid each, buy a decent chain and you're off.

stick a comfy saddle on it - seriously - you'll appreciate it.

mountain biking is fun. walking is boring. i think it's worth sepnding that little amount of cash.

and, of course, don't drink beer, a single pint of beer has a shed load of calories in.

drink vodka! huzzah! and orange juice cos that's good for you and prevents dehydration.

Tango, you should come to the gym with me. I'll make sure the big boys don't pick on you!

(Seriously though, most gyms are full of posers you don't care about, buttertrolls who aren't in a position to criticise and regular people who are just keeping fit that don't care about you)

Walking can be so rewarding, there's some beautiful walks over here. If you just stick to the roads then yes, I can see that could get boring but if you get out onto the beaches, in the glens or over the hills then the scenary should be reward enough for all your effort.

On the cooking front, there's nothing wrong with cooked foods, it just depends on what you're eating and how you cook it. Grilling and steaming is by far and away the best way to cook food and wherever possible, try to buy unprocessed or unrefined foods. Eat plenty of fish and white meat and try to stick to wholemeal bread and pasta and brown rice. Beans, roots and pulses are full of nutrients and will fill you up, without piling the calories on.

Tango, well done for losing 4 stone. That is one hell of alot of weight to lose so dont give up now buddy.

Ans, whats a buttertroll? Must admit I used to frequent the Nautilus when it was based in Onchan stadium (not since though) but never heard that one.

I knew I was doing well when even my brother-in-law commented,he's not one to dole out compliments...... although he did follow it with -

" You're still fatter than me and no amount of slim-fast will make you any less ugly......"

Or something like that? ;)

Archived