Champix...

quilp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Mrs Quilp who's currently on the Champix. One minute she wants to dice me up and the next she's all gooey and soothing my fevered-brow. I'm sleeping with a cycling helmet on too after discovering a hammer under her pillow. My quota of ciggies has doubled in this harrowing time.

Seriously though, her doc never really stressed that the side-effects could be so varied and subtle. The contra-indication sheet in the box was a little vague and didn't include some of the side-effects that i've come across on-line.

Ta for all the advice/personal experience from posters here. Just off to empty the knife draw and finish the Anderson Shelter in the garden...

I smoked 30 a day for 20 years before I decided I was going to stop. I used Niquitin Nicotine tablets which were really good as they give your mouth that slight burning feeling like you've just had a smoke. I also used patches but they made my arm go dead so I fecked them off after about 3 days. I stopped using the tablets after a week when they ran out so then I went cold turkey. If I can quit anyone can. It really ain't that hard, you just have not want to smoke ever again and make sure you don't - not even one 'drag'.

Pffft - 40/40 man. And I have the lungs of a 20 year old (smoking Beagle).

Good on those with the willpower to 'just say no' and quit - I must have a Lack of Moral Fibre though, as I'd always find an excuse to 'just try one to see if I hate the taste now', or decide that a stubbed toe was crisis enough to fall off the wagon - which is the top of a slippery slope. This time with the e-fag I've decided I CAN have the occasional O.P. (I don't abuse the kindness though) without wanting to ditch the e-fag for tobacco. That's a MAJOR step forward for me, as I know I've not had to give up something I've enjoyed for 40 years...I'm just choosing a better (cheaper/safer/cleaner/more acceptable - unless you're on a bus in Staffordshire) alternative. The deal is, I've decided NEVER to buy tobacco again. I'm actually tempted to run an 'e-cig clinic' to help people, although I expect the Health Department would soon put a stop to that!

• 6 months later...

Reading a link on Local News about Cyprus I came across an article in their local paper saying that the Cyprus government was introducing new laws to outlaw e-cigs in places where traditional tobacco is banned.

It seems this move could be because the government there is fearful of e-cigs, the tax they are losing from people like yourself Stu who have moved to e-cigs.

Being a convert myself I can imagine that it is only a matter of time before they find a way of taxing them just as heavily as they do with tobacco.

Vaping is the future for addicted smokers as I see it, but meddling by authorities and other idiots will scupper all the good work they can do. There's even a 'coffee and vape' shop opened on Peel Road I see.

I was disgusted to be told by the manager of the Railway at the last Blues Club (I'm in a bit of a band and play there once a month) that 'tank' e-cigs like mine were banned, on the grounds (wait for it, wait for it) that 'there could be anything in the liquid'. Like saying I have a dick so I 'might' be a rapist!

The anti-smoking lobby has become so fucking vicious that even sucking on steam arouses their indignant ire. Not so long ago the pubs were banning e-cigs that looked like real cigs (for fear of upsetting the neanderthals), now it's the devices that LOOK like e-cigs. I despair.

Quit easily with a hypnotheripist who was local, although she doesn't carry it out personally, I simply paid for the 'sessions' via the internet and it was the best £160 I spent!!

Anyone intrested in knowing more simply PM me and I'll give you the details.

Vaping is the future for addicted smokers as I see it, but meddling by authorities and other idiots will scupper all the good work they can do.

I don't think it is the future and wouldn't really want it to be. Better than people are off nicotine entirely and end their addiction. But yeah, nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine at these doses from what I've heard so it isn't a big deal. Though when I've used the e-cigarette I do tend to find that I run through the cartridges very, very quickly. I was going through far too much nicotine because I wasn't getting the 'satiation' that comes with having a cigarette. After you've had a cigarette you couldn't easily have another. And certainly not smoke a third in succession. Not like that with the e-cig. But again, they are clearly a vast improvement on cigarette smoking.

And these companies who sell them aren't doing good work. They are out to make money, not help smokers. But you're right, it is a type of drug use that is becoming common and which the government has no hold and control over. It could come under some sort of control, which might not be so bad if its some form of regulation. I can't see it being banned in the UK though. Quite peculiar to the UK, there is a growing body of medical opinion that openly supports its use..

There's even a 'coffee and vape' shop opened on Peel Road I see.
Don't you and can't you use your e-cigarette in all cafes you went to? I did.

I was disgusted to be told by the manager of the Railway at the last Blues Club (I'm in a bit of a band and play there once a month) that 'tank' e-cigs like mine were banned, on the grounds (wait for it, wait for it) that 'there could be anything in the liquid'.
I don't see why people have to be such complete cunts over it. It is plainly obvious that it would be nicotine. What else could it be? And it could be easily demonstrated that it is nicotine.

You weren't told to leave, where you?

Though you can be discreet when using them. If you are sitting there exhaling a plume of steam you will be asking for troubling giving the mental image that comes with identifying it with cigarette smoke. And there is no need at all to have even a small amount of smoke (steam) being visibly exhaled.

You just cover the thing up in your hand, breathe in, and then hold it in much longer. And if people are going to be cocks about it then just do that.

Allen Carrs Easy Way to Give Up Smoking workshops held regularly on the Isle of Man. Worth the money entirely - well it would of gone up in smoke anyway. No nicotine replacement or will power required. Very recommended.

+1

my partner went on that course, gave up for over a year and then had a relapse, read his book and has been clean ( and wealthier ) for the last 3 months. he also does a loose weight book too which is getting read at the moment.

Archived