Champix...

quilp

Alarmingly, i am witnessing some strange and out-of-character personality changes in someone very close to me, after they began taking the smoking-cessation drug, 'Champix'. Does any MF members have any stories to tell. After googling 'Champix Review' i was amazed to find that the manufacturer, Pfizer, list very few side-effects yet the FDA in the US has 'black-boxed' this product, making it one to be very careful of. Some of the posters on the forum accompanying the review are heart-breaking and are akin to those symptoms being displayed by my friend. It would appear that this is a very suspect pharmacutical that works on the dopamine levels in the brain. Thing is, the people who suffer these side-effects are often unaware and defensive that there's something wrong until something serious occurs....

Edited to add.... Having used the search option i've discovered a wealth of previous posts covering this topic.

Maybe the mods want to remove my original post...?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That stuff sounds pretty toxic.

The electronic e tabs are good and you can get flavoured backy of varying strengths to pop in them.

Apple pie vapour for dessert?

I used Champix to give up over 3 years ago, dont think I had any side effect, definitely no hallucinations. Was on it for 2 months I think, and made giving up easy. I still got the occasional craving for up to a year, usually while out for a drink, but it only lasted for a couple of minutes. If they can stick to it, its worth it in the end. Could be worth mentioning it to their doctor.

I tried them some time ago and, to my shame, discovered that not completing the course leaves you doomed to fail. I thought I was over the longing for cigarettes so I stopped taking them - bad move!

While I was taking them, I did suffer some sleep disturbance, and some strange dreams (one or two them weren't at all bad! Michelle Pfeiffer - wow!).

Unfortunately, when I wanted to give them another go, I was told that there might be some risk with regard to blood pressure. Eventually, I've had to give up the really hard way.

Both me and the wife used champix 4 years ago and suffered no ill effects and still off the fags...

BUT you still have to want to give up... still now fancy one but only lasts for a moment or two..

We were only using them for about 6-8 weeks then stopped and never looked back..

We worked out that we would save approx£3500 a year.

SO WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS WHERE IS THE £14000 THAT WE HAVE NOT SPENT ON FAGS

ermm.gif

I used them a few years ago. They deffo work, in that they remove the cravings but yes, they can make you go a bit mad. One thing I noticed was that you still display the irritable, short temperedness you get when you're giving up without aids, but you still don't want a fag. Other symptoms were - crazy dreams (some good, some bad), pissing other people off and talking in a pirate voice.

I still think it's worth it, if you and others around you can put up with it. I found the craziness only lasted for 4 weeks or so.

oh, and don't take them on an empty stomach, agony for about 15 mins or so.

A friend suffered with really bad mood swings whilst taking them, his partner resorted to calling the emergency doctor out in the early hours as he was threatening suicide. I would stay well clear, but congratulations on wanting to give up! thumbsup.gif

Tried Champix - and before them Zyban - a few years ago. Did the whole course but made no difference to me or my smoking habit. E-fags worked for me where nothing else came close.

Archived