The Olympics Thread

Slim

Disappointed for Mark, but that's sport. Good luck to Bradley in the TT.

Plenty still on but next big one for me is the Day 1 swimming finals, lots to look forward to:

Phelps vs Lochte in the 400 IM, arguably the toughest swimming event. Can Phelps win 3 in a row or will he leave the door open for Kitajima on the 100 breaststroke for his hat trick.

Can Fran Halsall qualify for the 100 fly final, and will Vollmer improve on her olympic record from the heats?

Can Hannah Miley get into the medals in the womens 400 IM.

Answers from 1930!

ETA: Park Tae-Hwan (KOR) is back in the 400m Free Final - Appeal won; Ryan Cochrane (CAN) out (from swimnews.com), so the Park vs Sun 400 free is on

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh well, big shame for Mark Cavendish, I wonder what went wrong with their strategy there?

They had to ride the hill quite gentle to keep Cav with them and they only had 4 riders for cav. With such a big breakaway and nobody else helping the extremely strong gb team it was just too much work to bring the large break back. Shame, a very good tactical play by Vino and Cancellara, shame sparticus fell off.

Shame Vino won though, of all the ones to win, an ex doper is the last thing you want. Still good race, despite the result. Wiggins lost a strong competitor for the time trial too.

Firstly, I should say that I don't have a problem with the political head expressing support for our sportsmen.

But he's so vaingloriously unstatesmanlike when he plays the statesman.

Oh well, big shame for Mark Cavendish, I wonder what went wrong with their strategy there?

They had to ride the hill quite gentle to keep Cav with them and they only had 4 riders for cav. With such a big breakaway and nobody else helping the extremely strong gb team it was just too much work to bring the large break back. Shame, a very good tactical play by Vino and Cancellara, shame sparticus fell off.

Shame Vino won though, of all the ones to win, an ex doper is the last thing you want. Still good race, despite the result. Wiggins lost a strong competitor for the time trial too.

I wish I understood it better, can't get to grips with how they don't work to keep the front guys in view, particularly after the half way point or at some pre-determined time?

God I wish I could have taken up cycling when I was at school!

I wish I understood it better, can't get to grips with how they don't work to keep the front guys in view, particularly after the half way point or at some pre-determined time?

God I wish I could have taken up cycling when I was at school!

The favourites/strong teams want a breakaway of average to no hopers to go up the road. This keeps the bunch steady and stops attacks as teams won't attack while they have team mates away in a breakaway. The bunch will then calculate how long it'll take to reel the break in, this is a bit of a gamble but it's usually better than dealing with lots of attacks when there's no break.

Today though, the break not only stayed away, but riders managed to bridge to it from the main bunch. Normally the strong teams wouldn't allow that, and anyone trying to bridge would be chased down, but a combination of smaller than usual teams and a lack of willling helpers meant this didn't happen.

Most often the combined strength of the bunch will be enough to reel in a knackered small breakaway with relative ease.

It is a team sport, and in a tour there's usually multiple teams working together to get the outcome they want. A single day race isn't easy to play, and GB and Germany made a tactical error in letting such a large break go, but if they'd tried to prevent it they'd have worn themselves out.. That's cycling .

Well, I called the Phelps vs Lochte battle completely wrong. And Sun could have had a world record if he nailed his finish. Super finals session so far.

Good coverage so far, looks like an ace pool. Why was the large chineese man not interested in the world record?

Racing for first rather than going for time. Fatigue. Take your pick. Coaches always try to drill it in to you to keep on going 100% right to the wall. Can be the difference between first and fourth if its close. See Phelps finish in the 100 fly in Bejing.

Didn't look like fatigue. Seems like a shame though he's no doubt delighted with his gold smile.png

Womens footie was good. Handball baffling. Beach volleyball always a treat and fencing great: like something out of Tron.

Looking forward to the womens road race tomorrow, hope Armistead can get the better of Vos.

Archived