The Olympics Thread

Slim

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slim, question: why don't we see Wimmin's bike races similar to today?

Same reason we don't see womens football, cricket and rugby I suppose. They happen, they just don't have an audience. Eurosport's been showing the worlds but it's been highlights only.

I suppose it's not like track cycling & tennis where the womens events can tag on the back of the mens. The womens races are usually shorter and on different days so you don't drag along the mens telly audience. Shame.

They race quite differently though, and Pooley in particular's been very successful for GB. GB's Cook won in Beijing but she's not having a great year so far. They struggle to find teams an sponsorship cos the audiences aren't there.

Is weird that we get womens BMX, Mountain biking and track events (ie all of the same as the mens) but not a road race. Guess it's the logistics of closed roads in the main if it's not as popular, whereas all the other events can be run whenever on closed courses.

EDIT: I take back my comments, there is a womens road race on Sunday http://www.london201...2100/index.html

Just caught the BBC News's Road Race segment. Completely uninformed and paints an inaccurate picture of the contribution of the GB team and what happend in the race. Their sports eitor, David Bond, seems like a right numpty.

Well done to Mark for echoing what was possibly going through many viewers' heads "Stop asking stupid questions. Do you know about cycling?" Says it all about Mr Bond that he chose to include that segment that actually shows off his shortcomings.

ETA: And he posts the same drivel on his blog, with understandably negative comments from readers http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/davidbond/2012/07/cavendish_and_co_disappoint_in.html

From Cap & Goggles blog:

"As for China’s teenage medley queen, Ye Shiwen delivered perhaps the greatest final 100 meters of any IM in history, man or woman. At the end of the breaststroke leg, it appeared Elizabeth Beisel was headed for gold. Or at least she’d be in a dog fight to win it. Instead, Ye swallowed her up almost instantly, and then proceeded to pull away with astonishing acceleration. Her final 50 was faster than Lochte’s. Seriously. She came home in 28.93; Lochte’s last lap was 29.10."

Astounding!

Well done to Mark for echoing what was possibly going through many viewers' heads "Stop asking stupid questions. Do you know about cycling?" Says it all about Mr Bond that he chose to include that segment that actually shows off his shortcomings.

The 'difficult questions' closing comment is just ridiculously stupid, he really needs to rethink how he approaches sport.

It was a shame the BBC coverage of the race yesterday was so incompetent, it was hard to keep up with what was going on where, with no time gaps, commentators didn't seem to know who was in the break etc.

Womens 400 free - Medallists could come from anywhere, Adlington dicing a bit, qualified slowest in lane 8.

Mens 4x100 free relay - Looks like a great race in prospect, USA, France, South Africa, Australia...

Not forgetting Ellen Gandy in the Womens 100 fly....

It was a shame the BBC coverage of the race yesterday was so incompetent, it was hard to keep up with what was going on where, with no time gaps, commentators didn't seem to know who was in the break etc.

The comentators were blaming the 'host broadcaster', which I thought was the bbc? They were fed up too, but I think the teams were in the same boat. The usual race radios were banned, and there's been some complaints that teams didn't get time checks so didn't know where the breakaway was.

Womens race is good so far, plenty of agressive racing.

Couple of questions for any resident cycling types that may know.

1) Are the women using different tyres, to cope with the wet?

2) Yesterday's tactics - when the second group broke away from the pelaton, why did the Brits not go with them?

I know nothing about cycling but if Cavendish is the best at sprinting over 500m or whatever why doesn't he enter one of the individual sprinting events indoors rather than the 5 hour races where it seems he needs help from others?

Also if he didn't act like a petulant tit and give an explanation as to why it was a stupid question people would understand. A lot of people would have been watching who dont have a clue about cycling, to the average joe riding the tour de france a week ago then doing a 6 hour road race would be knackering.

The comentators were blaming the 'host broadcaster', which I thought was the bbc?

Seems there can be different host broadcasters for different sports. Read a post on one forum that said it was a Dutch broadcaster, IIRC. Can't find a link.

Don't know a huge amount of Olympic broadcasting, but I don't think the BBC would have enough OB facilities or people to handle all the sports at the same time.

Also if he didn't act like a petulant tit and give an explanation as to why it was a stupid question people would understand.

Maybe he saw a rough cut of Bond's piece for the News and called it as he saw it. smile.png

It really was a stupid question, you don't have to be a cycling expert to know that it was the same for all the other riders. Like asking someone in the semis of an athletics or swimming event if ther efforts in the heats had taken it out of them.

Wrighty 1) probably not no. Different pressures though. 2) sprinters teams will be holding pace rather than exhausting themselves chasing every break. You don't know it's going to stay away and if you try to chase every break you lose. Also lots of teams there sometimes they expect another team to chase and nobody ends up doing it.

I know nothing about cycling but if Cavendish is the best at sprinting over 500m or whatever why doesn't he enter one of the individual sprinting events indoors rather than the 5 hour races where it seems he needs help from others?

Cav has had a top track career, was world champ for the Madison twice. On the road he's good at a bunch sprint after 150 miles. A monster like chris hoy would thrash cav in a track sprint but finish a road stage 30 mins behind cav.

Also if he didn't act like a petulant tit and give an explanation as to why it was a stupid question people would understand. A lot of people would have been watching who dont have a clue about cycling, to the average joe riding the tour de france a week ago then doing a 6 hour road race would be knackering.

It's a very negative question. The 4 guys in the gb squad did the whole race on the front trying to control it. It really was a stupid question.

BBC's coverage of the cycling has been pisspoor. At least today Boardman thought to time the gaps himself. Porter (who's usually one of their better commentators) is identifying the wrong riders, vital information like time gaps are missing, and called the sprint for the first in the peloton the race for fourth when twenty riders had been clear for over an hour. Is cycling the only thing ITV do better than BBC.

Women's cycling is very different form men's isn't it?

Archived