Gatwick Route By Easyjet

Manx1Bloke

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legal obligation for ferry travel is almost same as for flying nowadays, including overnight accommodation

Only if the cancellation is because of a technical issue and their 'fault', not if it is due to weather or other factors beyond the control of the ferry company.

Legal obligation for ferry travel is almost same as for flying nowadays, including overnight accommodation

Only if the cancellation is because of a technical issue and their 'fault', not if it is due to weather or other factors beyond the control of the ferry company.

Easyjet's own 'Flight Tracker' service indicated that this delay was due to the crew allocated to this rotation as being 'out of hours' due to ATC delays earlier in the day. This would definitely be deemed to be within their control, in terms of EU261 Regulations, as it was their commercial and operational decision not to make another crew available. So they will be liable to pay compensation, plus reasonable costs to up to 312 passengers, so this fiasco could cost them £100k+.

Incidentally, they had another lengthy delay of 6+ hours only eight days ago,which would/should/could have cost another £100k. Such delays, neither of which were related to any issues or short-comings in the IOM, must impact the overall viability of the route?

They're only here from Gatwick as it was convenient at the time to not have planes sat around. At £100k per cock-up they might find it worthwhile to leave them sat around from now on.

At £100k per cock-up they might find it worthwhile to leave them sat around from now on.

But the same could be said for many or perhaps most of their routes. And the IOM flights are typically busy.

Easyjet's own 'Flight Tracker' service indicated that this delay was due to the crew allocated to this rotation as being 'out of hours' due to ATC delays earlier in the day

I cannot see any good reason why they should be liable for air traffic control delays. Delays and cancellations are an inevitable consequence of affordable air travel. Sensible travellers assume delays and cancellations and build that into their schedule.

The compensation is €250 per person. They accommodated 20 at up to £80 per head. So, assuming the flight was full each way the maximum compensation is £60,000 plus hotel costs.

They put so many obstacles in the way of claiming many won't succeed.

I went away last year for practice week. Took my partner and aunt and uncle who were visiting from down under. On return journey the plane into gatwick was over 4 hours late and we missed our connection back to IoM. This was air traffic issues and we knew before we went through security at the resort airport. EasyJet refused to assist with rebooking, transfer or accommodation in Gatwick. They just dumped us all at Gatwick at 10pm.

I booked and paid for hotel and flights back to IoM the following morning.

Once home I submitted a claim for all 4 of us.

They delayed, lost papers, lost e-mails. By November they sent a list of what they demanded to consider the claim.

They wanted all receipts, including original booking, new replacement booking and hotel plus an authority from my partner, aunt and uncle, to credit to my card as used to pay. All this was provided.

By February they denied liability for the hotel and refused to pay for the replacement flight or to reimburse the cost of the missed flight.

They offered a sum, which I agreed to accept if paid within 14 days. Unfortunately nothing was credited to my card, which was then stolen. My fault, not theirs. However that creates a difficulty. They won't credit to the replacement card, only the one used to originally book and pay in March 2015.

So I asked for cheques. They sent 4, in euros, one for each of us, even though they had the authorities to pay to me, knew my relatives are in Australia, and that I bank in sterling and they bank in dollars.

I returned the cheques 8 weeks ago. They agreed to reissue in one cheque, in sterling, payable to me. Then they changed their mind. Claimed they hadn't got any authority to pay to me. I sent in a further copy of all signed authorities.

I'm still waiting.

I'm going to sue in English small claims using moneyclaims on line.

The compensation is €250 per person. They accommodated 20 at up to £80 per head. So, assuming the flight was full each way the maximum compensation is £60,000 plus hotel costs.

Whilst I agree the maximum EU261 compensation would be c£60k, (EUR250 x max.312pax) but they will also be liable to pay hotel, and other reasonable costs for all inbound passengers, and any claims from those who made their own arrangements, not just the 20 they had to rely on the Civil Defence to assist. Plus, they have the admin. expense of processing/resisting all those claims.

They won't credit to the replacement card, only the one used to originally book and pay in March 2015.

When a card gets re-issued with a new number on the same account you can still have money refunded to the previous number. It happens all the time as cards frequently get replaced.

If you miss a flight and the airline is not at fault they are not required to compensate you. But if you are through-booked the airline will get you on the next flight. But Easyjet don't do through booking. That's one of the reasons why it always makes sense to take an extra day to / from the IOM.

Your travel insurance should cover you.

Pongo, I agree about the credit card, but easyJet refuse. My aunt & uncle had travel insurance which only covered them Oz IoM and return. My insurance refuses to pay saying its down to easyJet. I appreciate easyJet is point to point but they offer the booking add on so the flights are all on one booking and it was their fault we didn't make the connection. The exclusion of compensation for the overnight and replacement flights is probably an unfair contract term ( they have to prove its fair when all the flights are on one booking ). But 12 months on they still haven't paid the 1.000 euros.

Pongo, I agree about the credit card, but easyJet refuse.

You said previously "They won't credit to the replacement card, only the one used to originally book and pay in March 2015."

The point I am making is that money can be refunded to the old number.

Sighs. That's exactly what I asked them to do. They refuse. It's all about obstacles and delay.

This is certainly a confusing and somewhat contradictory tale. You have said that "They won't credit to the replacement card, only the one used to originally book and pay in March 2015."

Which implies that they were happy to credit the old number. Which should have been fine - it doesn't matter that the card has been re-issued with a new number. The old number should work fine for refunds.

No contradiction. I was honest enough to tell them my old card had been stolen and replaced, but told them that they could still credit to the old number. They then refused, point blank to credit to either number. Yes they'd said previously they would credit the old number, but hadn't.

It really is all about trying to make claimants give up. They ask you do do one thing, you comply, then they say " ah, but we can't do it that way, we need this". You comply again and then theychange goal posts once more.

Ah ok. Good luck.

To be clear: The flight you missed was also Easyjet but they didn't offer to get you on another flight before you went ahead and bought a replacement ticket also with Easyjet ?

The reason I am asking: it's worth knowing what to make sure I am insured for smile.png. I'm not bothered about accommodation.

Yes. I'd booked easyJet IoM lgw BCN and return on one booking. I'd left over 4 hours for the gatwick transfer. We knew easyJet was going to miss the connection before we went through security at Barcelona. I went to the easyJet desk to ask for help. They claimed they couldn't do anything. I had a couple of 70 year olds who definitely needed a bed overnight. It was TT. I got the last 4 seats on the plane the next morning. If I hadn't we could have had to wait another couple of days or get a train to somewhere else. You do the best you can. I've been given the run around by easyJet for a year.

Archived