Gatwick Route By Easyjet

Manx1Bloke

Even with a cheap overnight stay in Crawley it works out cheap as chips to go to Rome for a long weekend. Thumbs up to Easyjet.

Overnight stay is always my plan. You just can't trust any airline to fly particularly when you factor in Manannan's cloak and the fact that Easyjet particularly, sell single sectors and are not responsible for any missed connections due to delays.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even with a cheap overnight stay in Crawley it works out cheap as chips to go to Rome for a long weekend. Thumbs up to Easyjet.

Overnight stay is always my plan. You just can't trust any airline to fly particularly when you factor in Manannan's cloak and the fact that Easyjet particularly, sell single sectors and are not responsible for any missed connections due to delays.

Very true. Why anyone would trust a same day connection off this island is beyond me.

I'm probably tempting fate here but I always do same day departure and have had no issue yet.

Sarah, you have been very, very lucky.

I always stop over on the way out for the reasons mentioned, Manannans Cloak etc but usually chance my arm on the return leg.

If I miss the connection on the way out the holiday will be mostly ruined and mega stressful trying to rearrange but on the return, so what if I miss the IOM flight? I can stay in one of the many airport hotels and get home the next day.

On the subject of Flybe and their punctuality, I would also say that, yes a few years ago they were often late but I have found them very good over the last couple of years. I have not tried Sleazy Jet off island and probably wont after a bad experience on one of their flights to Spain about 6 years ago. There was, no kidding, children getting pushed out of the way and OAPs similarly treated, on the scrum that was called "boarding"

Very true. Why anyone would trust a same day connection off this island is beyond me.

It depensd who you fly with. If you through book with Flybe or BA and there is a problem with the coonection they put you up and reconnect at their expense.

It depensd who you fly with. If you through book with Flybe or BA and there is a problem with the coonection they put you up and reconnect at their expense.

Dont follow you there, I can understand that if you booked Flybe off the island to connect with a Flybe flight to Europe then yes that is understandable (and explains why I recently sat on the plane by the gate for around 20 min, waiting for another Flybe flight to land so that one gentleman could board the late IOM flight from Manchester)

So are you saying if you book a flight from say, Gatwick to Europe and your flight with Flybe, off the island to Gatwick is delayed or canceled then BA would put you up?

Depends on the ticket type you buy. It is possible to buy a BA flight to say New York as a through ticket from the IoM which uses the Flybe service to LGW as a codeshare. Therefore if any leg of the journey is delayed it is the carrier you flight is booked with, in this case BA who has to sort out the problem.

You can also book a through fare on one contract with differing airlines, however it is often looks as though are buying the plane to do this judging by some of the fares quoted.

Easyjet , Ryanair and most low cost airlines are strictly point to point so you are on your own if any one leg fails.

Dont follow you there, I can understand that if you booked Flybe off the island to connect with a Flybe flight to Europe then yes that is understandable (and explains why I recently sat on the plane by the gate for around 20 min, waiting for another Flybe flight to land so that one gentleman could board the late IOM flight from Manchester)

So are you saying if you book a flight from say, Gatwick to Europe and your flight with Flybe, off the island to Gatwick is delayed or canceled then BA would put you up?

Depends on the ticket type you buy. It is possible to buy a BA flight to say New York as a through ticket from the IoM which uses the Flybe service to LGW as a codeshare. Therefore if any leg of the journey is delayed it is the carrier you flight is booked with, in this case BA who has to sort out the problem.

You can also book a through fare on one contract with differing airlines, however it is often looks as though are buying the plane to do this judging by some of the fares quoted.

Easyjet , Ryanair and most low cost airlines are strictly point to point so you are on your own if any one leg fails.

I had forgotten BA had flights from the island but thanks for the response, I understand now. blush.png

Depends really on how inconvenient missing the onward connection is. If your onward flight is with a mainstream airline, they are usually pretty flexible, but the low cost ones will squeeze you dry. And has been said, if you book the journey on one ticket, then it is the carriers responsibility if they cause your delay.

I use 3 flights to get to and from a lot of destinations for work and it is pretty rare to have any delays these days, but I almost always get the flights all on the one ticket to be on the safe side.

Having said that, if it's a holiday, we often go the night before and count the night in hotel as part of the holiday. With BA we fly to London City and stay overnight at Heathrow.

And on prices, my daughter recently went to New York from IOM. The return flight using IOM-LCY & LHR-JFK cost only about £15 more with BA than just booking LHR-JFK return with BA. Always worth checking the combined fares.

If I'd been waiting for an operation got a year I'd have gone the night before. Weather, mechanical faults and human illness are all there to spoil our best laid plans.

MMP

When it's booked by the DHSS and several others in the same position on the flight, you would think that Flybe would be more aware of their obligations. Other flights were leaving on time and it would have been better to have transferred a cabin crew member from one of them.

After all, the Liverpool flight seems to have around 25 patients every day going both ways. The DHSS must be their best customer!

They call themselves a budget airline but this is simply not the case. The only thing remotely 'budget' is the service which you get, it suits Flybe's budget!

I won't fly with them again by choice!

If I'd been waiting for an operation got a year I'd have gone the night before. Weather, mechanical faults and human illness are all there to spoil our best laid plans.

MMP

When it's booked by the DHSS and several others in the same position on the flight, you would think that Flybe would be more aware of their obligations. Other flights were leaving on time and it would have been better to have transferred a cabin crew member from one of them.

After all, the Liverpool flight seems to have around 25 patients every day going both ways. The DHSS must be their best customer!

They call themselves a budget airline but this is simply not the case. The only thing remotely 'budget' is the service which you get, it suits Flybe's budget!

I won't fly with them again by choice!

It may have been better for you to transfer the crew from another flight, but doing that would just inconvenience someone else on another flight, there isnt always an easy answer to it unfortunately. Flybe do have spare crew on standby so it must have been a particulary bad day if they were not available. Also I think that a lot of decisions on flights, crew etc are not decided locally but in a dark room in Exeter and will be subject to all sorts of rules and regulations on hours etc that we are not privvy to. If Easyjet crew took sick it would be stuck here until someone flew over to replace them

Not everything is their fault either, for instance last week I had a 35 minute delay for a Flybe flight back to the Island, why, because there were so many people in wheelchairs it took that time to get them all on as presumably under discrimination rules they cannot ask them to be ready earlier than the rest of the passengers. Not worth getting wound up over and I am thankful that I do not need assistance yet.

• 3 years later...

TweetbeatIOM @TweetbeatIOM 9m9 minutes ago

The @IOMAirport and @IoMCivilDefence just done a sterling job in getting 20 people accomadation due to cancellation of a flight 1f44d.png brilliant

and if it was a SPCo cancellation eceryone would be up in arms and slagging them off laugh.png

#doublestandards

Police spelling is getting worser and worser !

and if it was a SPCo cancellation eceryone would be up in arms and slagging them off laugh.png

#doublestandards

Police spelling is getting worser and worser !

Murphry's Law

(It's also worth pointing out that the Steam Packet wouldn't have any legal obligation to find people accommodation in the event of a cancellation, while airlines do).

Archived