well we don't buy either of them anymore, one just gets passed between us all. We were saying that years ago we would go shopping later to get The Examiner but now it's gone very poor, anybody remember Sydney Bolton? He was a good Ramsey reporter, used to go for a swim down by the lifeboat house everyday of the year, Michael is still about.

he is Myrtle but his hair isn't as long now-a-days though.

cissie-and-ada1-300x261.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think an online subscription service is the way to go. So many people now travel for work and would be prepared to pay for a subscription to catch up with the news when off Island. As it stands there is no news of note on their website at all and by the time you get back all the out of date papers have been chucked away. At 75p I cant see many people being prepared to continue to buy the Independent unless you are massively into local sport.

we dont think even the free internet pages are worth looking at, they dont have any news in them and are just full of silly surveys. We'd forgotten about Paul, haven't seen him for years. Lovely day down the north, we're hoping it's like this for our crossing in the morning.

I stopped buying them when they decied to print the 'local news' in a different country.

We stopped buying them about 6 - 7 years ago. Wish I could get them to stop stuffing the Courier through my door, or at least stick it straight in the bin for me. Same with that car leaflet and that local "magazine" type thing.

I stopped buying them when they decied to print the 'local news' in a different country.

We stopped buying them about 6 - 7 years ago. Wish I could get them to stop stuffing the Courier through my door, or at least stick it straight in the bin for me. Same with that car leaflet and that local "magazine" type thing.

you can just ring the courier and give them your address.

And another freebie starting this month too backed by Bridson & Horrox I think. Post Office delivery to every household in the Island. Good luck with that. I don't know what makes people think there is loads of dosh to be made from advertising on the Island at the moment but judging by the number of "initiatives" plenty still do. It doesn't mean there is any more disposable income for the population to spend.

We are going to have newspapers for a while yet, people who read internet forums are more inclined to be more savvy towards using the internet for news but that does mean everyone. I still like to read a newspaper, yes they are too expensive but more just complain and then pay it!

well we don't buy either of them anymore, one just gets passed between us all. We were saying that years ago we would go shopping later to get The Examiner but now it's gone very poor, anybody remember Sydney Bolton? He was a good Ramsey reporter, used to go for a swim down by the lifeboat house everyday of the year, Michael is still about.

I remember Sydney. My oldman used to often go swimming with him. Stone pier to iron pier and back, regardless of weather. He used to have one copy of every Examiner up in his attic room :)

His son taught me at Albert Road. A great teacher

And another freebie starting this month too backed by Bridson & Horrox I think.

Is that the Manx Advertiser? A bit like the back part of the Courier but in colour. Another bit of rubbish to stick straight in the bin.

That's the one. Just another pile of shite. If they start charging for rubbish collection by weight and volume there will be a mass rebellion against through the door refuse.

Archived