My Basic Philosophy On Everything - Discuss

sirstabby

1. We don't have free will

2. We do, however, have the capacity to feel things (such as enjoyment/suffering) in some sense that is either not completely material or material in a way that is so far beyond our current understand it may as well be thought of as not material

3. "We" is not fully defined but can probably include almost all humans, quite possibly certain apes, and also my dogs but not yours.

4. The human brain is predictable in many ways

5. It seems sensible to try to minimize suffering; thereafter maximize enjoyment.

From this all sorts of radical things follow.

Discuss.

1. We do and we don't it's a matter of perspective as there is always a choice.

2. Emmotions (capacity to feel etc) - evoloutionary/social by product of one mans right being anothers wrong - some people take enjoyment from suffering or its infliction - but yes we have them.

3. "We" could equally be taken to be "life the universe and everything" but I'd stick with our current genus of homo sapien (other genus may have emmotions I agree but they would be "their" emmotions - much like how the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians had "their" gods.

4. Flibble nork skant romuart scribble snot - predict the next word that I come up with and I'll agree. People/society and such however show patterns of behaviour which are predictable such as fans of iSomething.

5. Yes it does rather but point 2, one mans enjoyment maybe anothers suffering so better maybe to strike an accecptable balance between the two.

edited to add some ""

SirStabby, I'm intrigued why your list started off with free will - is its dilemma such an existential issue for you?

My basic philosophy on life is that though I may not be able to change many of the things happening in my life I am able to change my attitude towards them.

I then start whistling "Always look on the bright side of life"!

I agree with Edmond Burke who wrote "Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little". We've all got to work to improve our lot, and that of those around us.

When it comes to minimizing suffering and maximizing enjoyment I'm aware that my point of view is limited and parochial and so I risk entangling these two things in complicated ways which may not be self-reinforcing.

There is no simple way to work out these issues and so I'm simply in favour of as wide a public debate as possible. Inevitably some people will not always be able to get their legitimate voice heard and others will sometimes be illegitimately able to shout louder than they should. There are no simple solutions to these problems other than being aware of them and trying to compensate, but the result will be messy no matter what.

People may be predicable on local scales and over short time periods, but don't let that fool you into thinking we can easily understand the wider consequences of our behaviour - its chaotic and very very complex.

That messiness is very apparent in not only how we deal with the sensibilities of animals, but also in people just slightly distant from us. Many people are far more concerned about their dog than the traumas of their neighbour but one, but then will happily pretend it is ok to swim with a caged dolphin and eat a steak. Like I said its a messy old world when it comes to wondering what is the right thing to do!

Being radical may be fun, but to say it maximizes enjoyment and minimizes suffering may be short sighted!

1. We do and we don't it's a matter of perspective as there is always a choice.

2. Emmotions (capacity to feel etc) - evoloutionary/social by product of one mans right being anothers wrong - some people take enjoyment from suffering or its infliction - but yes we have them.

3. "We" could equally be taken to be "life the universe and everything" but I'd stick with our current genus of homo sapien (other genus may have emmotions I agree but they would be "their" emmotions - much like how the Romans, Greeks and Egyptians had "their" gods.

4. Flibble nork skant romuart scribble snot - predict the next word that I come up with and I'll agree. People/society and such however show patterns of behaviour which are predictable such as fans of iSomething.

5. Yes it does rather but point 2, one mans enjoyment maybe anothers suffering so better maybe to strike an accecptable balance between the two.

edited to add some ""

I predicted that the next word you would say after snot,; on point four would be "predict"; preceded by a hyphen!

2. We do, however, have the capacity to feel things (such as enjoyment/suffering) in some sense that is either not completely material or material in a way that is so far beyond our current understand it may as well be thought of as not material

3. "We" is not fully defined but can probably include almost all humans, quite possibly certain apes, and also my dogs but not yours.

5. It seems sensible to try to minimize suffering; thereafter maximize enjoyment.

It's high time you met a woman....

From this all sorts of radical things follow.

Discuss.

We may not have an unlimited free will, but most of us do have a limited free will. I think it is sensible to minimise suffering and maximise life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Not sure about "enjoyment".

The human brain is like an organic computer,in fact to look at it resembles a cauliflower in a lot of ways.

However they taste completely different .

Hannibal Lecter .

Archived