Paid Apps & Android

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything i log onto using my Google Account (web / Galaxy S3) works fine - it seems linked to my account rather than a device.

This has been discussed on the nexus thread.

They use two ways to decide your location. On wifi only devices (tablets) they use geoip, same with the play.google.com website. On phones they use the sim card.

It's definitely not account based, I can't see any paid apps by visiting play.google.com from a manx isp on a pc signed out or signed in to google (I've tried it with Domicilium and Wimanx), but it works from uk isp.

I can't get paid apps on any handheld using wimanx, but it works fine using wimanx's vpn.

Still a bit of a pain, as the wimanx vpn obv only works when you're on wimanx. So I can get store access at home, but not when I'm out and about.

If I go to play.google.com it only lists free apps. If I sign in to my Google account, it then lists them all for me. Seems like it uses the account to me.

As Slim said Geoip and the SIM in your phone are the main ways that Google uses to determine access to the paid Apps and Play Services.

There does however seem to be a Google account aspect to this. Like everyone I was only seeing Free apps. Over the past 12 months I have been back and forth to the UK and using a UK VPN. During this time I was buying paid apps. About a month ago, while on the IOM connected to MT as my ISP, all my android devices suddenly started to get the full UK Google Play. And this is still the case. Looking at my Google Account settings it shows the Last Logins as Isle of Man & UK.

I suspect the amount of times that I have purchased apps while in the UK or via a UK VPN has locked my Google account to the UK giving me full access to Google Play on all my android devices and PC.

While this may not help everyone having the problem of accessing Paid apps and Google Play it may explain why some people are not having any problems.

Odd, not the same for me.

Which ISP are you on?

Wimanx - but the same happens on MT too

I have last logins of IOM, UK and Guernsey (never been there in my life, but assume to do with Sure Mobile)

Just tested it in IE - don't use it normally on this PC:

Not logged in:

google1.jpg

Logged in:

google2.jpg

Same for me not logged in just free stuff, log in and can see everything, so got to be account based

Working on all three of my devices now. UK play store. Wi-Manx and Sure Mobile.

Anyone care to see if it's working for them?

Not here on my Galaxy Nexus on MT, still only seeing free apps. Will try it on wimanx later.

Amazon app store keeps saying that my country is wrong and doesn't allow downloads (on Sure) but if I run the WiManx VPN then all is lovely and I can shop away.

Weird that, I'm on wimanx and can use the amazon store just fine. I have noticed that sometimes I need to clear the apps cache if I've been off the vpn.

Loving the way Manx telecom and Sure are handing out these handsets with no warning whatsoever that there is a very limited app store. After contacting both MT and Sure both say they have contacted Google and the ball is in their court and Google basically sent a robotic automated response.

Got a full store now.

How?

-You need PC with uk VPN

-android phone or tablet

-bottle of strawberry lime cider ( very important )

On your PC

-connect to uk vpn

-open google play store in your browser

-login with your google account

-you should see all the apps now

-choose one that is unavailable without having full store(I did with whatsapp) and install it

-goto your phone

On your android phone/tablet

-do NOT use vpn

-you should see app installing

-after its done restart phone

-start play store again, it should ask you to accept

Terms and Conditions, click yes/ok

-enjoy your cider and full store

It works fine on my phone and nexus 7

Archived