Paid Apps & Android

So then, does anyone have or know of a work around in order to get paid app's back on Android devices? Thought I may have been able to get around it by buying them direct on the Play Store through my desktop but it seems that I can only view the free apps on there too.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't even have access to some free apps, whatsapp is inaccesable in our region and so are a lot of the BBC apps that we pay licence fee for. Extremely unfair, a colleague wrote to google and the local paper and it was publised and now he seems to have full access again even though google didn't seem interested as we are a 'non sovereign state' of some bollocks along those lines.

mine have worked fine (on Sure) for about 2 weeks now, i get the Full Play store using:

Sure Mobile

Manx Telecom Broadband

Wimanx Broadband

I get full paid apps, Google music, books, videos etc. On my wife's phone, I don't get of these (we are on the same Sure contract!)

It's a bit of a farce really.

That's a bit strange then, I'm also on Sure mobile with MT broadband at both home & work. I've also noticed some free apps missing, such as Zen Pinball HD which is what I play the most when killing time (I'd already downloaded it, but can't 'purchase' new tables).

• 2 weeks later...

for last few days i can get the full google play store on a nexus7 I am with manx telecom used to use a vpn to get access to it I can also get it on my laptop which i never used to be able to do

maybe its the Nexus brand, googles own, thats ok and not others

Can't be, my Galaxy Nexus can't access the paid stuff on the store, unless its only the new Nexus branded stuff.

I'm not sure if I posted this here before but, I'm sure there was a post on one of these threads with a response from Google explaining that to purchase apps you need a valid UK billing address but as the Isle of Man is not part of the UK no one who lives here has one. I can't find the post now, so it could have been on another forum or I imagined it. It doesn't explain the disparity across accounts and devices but it does have a kind of logic to it.

Anything i log onto using my Google Account (web / Galaxy S3) works fine - it seems linked to my account rather than a device.

This has been discussed on the nexus thread.

They use two ways to decide your location. On wifi only devices (tablets) they use geoip, same with the play.google.com website. On phones they use the sim card.

It's definitely not account based, I can't see any paid apps by visiting play.google.com from a manx isp on a pc signed out or signed in to google (I've tried it with Domicilium and Wimanx), but it works from uk isp.

I can't get paid apps on any handheld using wimanx, but it works fine using wimanx's vpn.

Still a bit of a pain, as the wimanx vpn obv only works when you're on wimanx. So I can get store access at home, but not when I'm out and about.

Archived