Paid Apps & Android

Maybe it has something to do with where the phones come from.

Are all the phones with a limited playstore from MT?

I say this because Androidsoftware builds are location focused. For example, if you but any Android phone in China, there are no google apps on it at all. Nor is there any playstore. Android is called Chindroid here. I bought a Chindroid phone last year in China and it was so cut down it was useless. Not even google maps is available. In the end, a FB friend in Kuwait had to email me .apk files so I could get even basic functionality that one expects from a smartphone. But all this is not surprising given the not too good relationship betwwen Google and the Chinese Guv. (But hey, people still pay £400 for an Android phone here with GPS but no maps...... anyway).

But 6 months ago I got almost the same phone from HK, and I have all the apps, the full store etc etc. It even auto updates the apps and does all a droid is supposed to do ( not FB and Youtube of course).

My phone is a HK Android build. Non sim locked ( They don't lock phones in Asia so far as I can see)

Maybe MT are sourcing their phones from somewhere with a limited Google play service? I doubt that is the case, but you never know.

Having said all that, I suspect there is probably an unopened letter from Google sitting on someones desk at MT asking permission to charge over their network.

Someone has set up an online pettition to Goggle over this. I will post a link later when I can cut and paste from FB.

Be interesting to know in the meantime where you got your phones from ermm.gif . MT, Sure, or across online2long.gif

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing to do with the source of the phones. I've rooted and installed a variety of custom roms on a number of different devices, some not sourced locally and each had the same issue.

It's also outside of the control of all the local providers and is totally in Google's court.

Still working fine on the three devices in the household and out and about on Sure.

Nexus 4, 7 and a S3.

Yes, mines still working too. Looks like something's changed.

Also play store from a PC also lets me browse paid apps, books, movies etc. I can also buy Nexus devices.

Woot!

Could it be the location of your bank account or credit card company?

Any evidence to say UK cards work, but Manx don't?

I don't know why you're bothering to post these theories when, if you care to read the thread, you can see the cause is clearly understood. It's unhelpful.

Could it be the location of your bank account or credit card company?

Any evidence to say UK cards work, but Manx don't?

I don't know why you're bothering to post these theories when, if you care to read the thread, you can see the cause is clearly understood. It's unhelpful.

Sorry. Just trying to understand why it works for some and not others. Kindle had the same issue I recall.

spoke to somebody in mt this afternoon and google are supposed to be working on the problem now, they fobbed it off until manx telecom threatened to stop selling android alltogether (potentially 10 000 devices a year) she said 50% of what they sell is now android and rising. Supposedly google are applying for a licence to work on the island or something as they dont have one at the moment and that is part of the problem (I don't beleive them as they have google.im) but according to her google emailed them early last week saying they are working on it and will be resolved soon.

Archived