Paid Apps & Android

spoke to somebody in mt this afternoon and google are supposed to be working on the problem now, they fobbed it off until manx telecom threatened to stop selling android alltogether (potentially 10 000 devices a year) she said 50% of what they sell is now android and rising. Supposedly google are applying for a licence to work on the island or something as they dont have one at the moment and that is part of the problem (I don't beleive them as they have google.im) but according to her google emailed them early last week saying they are working on it and will be resolved soon.

Geolocking sorted along with the latest GUI update. Very welcome BUT about time too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=65418

A free mobile phone app produced by the government to promote the TT has hit difficulties – because some people can’t download it on the Island.

The Android version of the Isle of Man TT app is now available on the Google Play store.

It promises live news, a video archive, course guide and even the ability to buy tickets and merchandise.

However, because of regional restrictions, Google doesn’t recognise the Isle of Man – and so local residents can’t download it to their phones.

Instead, many get the message: "This item cannot be installed in your device's country."

oh dear!

4G will also be availible towards the end of the year at a slightly higher charge as well. They have been upgrading masts etc since trial 2 years ago.

Hhmmm......

When we first moved in to our current home (500mtrs from the Dalton St Exchange) we had absolutely NO problems whatsoever with mobile reception anywhere within the structure of the house. Not so anymore, no workable network connection past the vestibule for months!?

Although the visual signal bars on most mobiles are not very accurate, the difference between all bars illuminated and just one IS a major attenuation of signal strength.

MT were quick to respond to this by suggesting the lack of 'signal strength' was down to contention problems (more people using the same transmitter).

As far as I know, these 'bars' on a mobile relate to the strength of signal received. Unless my knowledge (or lack of) is totally wrong, the amount of users using a signal from the same transmitter has no affect on 'signal strength', or am I completely missing the technical basis of cellular technology?

If 100 or 100,000,000 people are tuned to Radio 1 or Sky TV, there is no change to the strength of the received signal by any listener/viewer.

NOW THEN, I'm just wondering..... if, when it becomes available, will 4G be offered as a way to solve my 'signal strength' problem.......at an additional cost of course?

Is this the planned business model MT has in mind, blinding customers by science and offering the more expensive 4G as 'the answer', or just my twisted imagination?

Hence the 'Hhmmm' as this topics opener.

Working fine on a fully updated S3.

(When I say fine, I mean it works, it's actually pretty shit)

I'm still not getting it. Not that I can think of any paid apps I'd want to buy --- other than maybe a dozen apps, 99% of the rest seem to be rubbish.

By the way, has anyone tried the NASA appl called "Earth Now"? I think it's pretty good for a free app.

Can we list what phones/tablet and android versions now can get paid/UK apps without a VPN workaround?

So far from what I have used:

Working

Nexus 7 WiFi only - Ver 4.2.2

Not working

HTC one - Ver 4.1

Sony Experia T - Ver 4.1.2

Can we list what phones/tablet and android versions now can get paid/UK apps without a VPN workaround?

So far from what I have used:

Working

Nexus 7 WiFi only - Ver 4.2.2

Not working

HTC one - Ver 4.1

Sony Experia T - Ver 4.1.2

It's not as simple as that. My daughter and I have identical galaxy nexus phones with the latest stock android. Mine has play store access without VPN, hers doesn't. Must be account related in addition to geoip and SIM card location.

Archived