Ps4 Out Nov 29Th

Jam_Sandwich

Game had some in this morning. I walked in and bought one.

Were you forced to buy some kind of bundle?

Put some time into it last night. Pretty impressed for a launch console. I missed out on the psn fun from friday and mine worked flawlessly, Resogun, contact and world of warplanes or watever it's called downloaded quick and none of the install bollocks. I like the clean interface that's focused on gaming much more than the now cluttered clusterfuck that's the 360 dash and it all feels much snappier than the ps3 one.

Voice works ok, the camera is smart, playroom definately shows potential just needs more to do.

Really like the streaming. We did the Slim and Son show to some mates last night, and it was so easy I almost forgot it was on. Not sure how you can tell how many are watching though? It's a great feature, but not sure how you'd get people to your stream, are there indexers?

Controller is lovely, touchpad works well. Killzone seems ok, pretty, standard fps gameplay, fun enough. Shame online shit is so pricey, I'd have bought Marvel on the spot if it wasn't 50 quid.

Yeah, I went for the Killzone bundle with gamne, extra controller, a Blu Ray and charging stand. To be honest I would have wanted an extra controller and another game in the first place. I could have done without the Blu Ray and the charging stand, although the latter is actually quite handy now I've used it (charges my Vita too). However, to be fair to the dude that served me, he did let me swap out the bundled Blu Ray for one that I wanted rather than the one it was supposed to come with.

Bundles are shitty, but unfortunately, that's just the way it goes at console launches.

It's a decent machine. Nice dashboard, painless set-up. Graphics-wise, in Killzone at least, it's like playing PC games on High-ish settings. Plenty of shinies, but still lacking in that extra bit of detail, smoothness and frame rate that my PC gives me. Really impressive for a console though, I have to say. Assassins Creed is a bit of a mixed bag. It's visually pretty messy I think - way too busy. That's not really the PS4's fault, it's just the way the game is. Performance is choppy in places too.

I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with it over the next few years.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Right then chaps, how are you finding the PS4? Any of you stepped over from the Xbox with any regrets?

Yes, haven't switched on the xbox since I got it. I'm going to run out of games quite quickly though, there's not much to play on it yet, but what there is is spot on. The machine itself is very slick, quick, with some nifty features like the face recognition. It feels much less clunky than the ps3. Bought the Ass Creed 4 on offer yesterday (£28 for the ps4 version woot), did it all from work at lunchtime and when I'd got home it had installed and was ready to go despite having about 10gb left to download. Very smart.

Right then chaps, how are you finding the PS4? Any of you stepped over from the Xbox with any regrets?

Yes, haven't switched on the xbox since I got it. I'm going to run out of games quite quickly though, there's not much to play on it yet, but what there is is spot on. The machine itself is very slick, quick, with some nifty features like the face recognition. It feels much less clunky than the ps3. Bought the Ass Creed 4 on offer yesterday (£28 for the ps4 version woot), did it all from work at lunchtime and when I'd got home it had installed and was ready to go despite having about 10gb left to download. Very smart.

What offer?

I tried to purchase/download pinball arcade using the android app but it was having non of it. It kept booting me to a webpage to login and then nothing happened. Shame, but good to know it does work.

I managed to get one ("for the kids"), the only one I could get on my hands on was an uber bundle (PS4 + Camera + Vita + Killzone + Ghosts + Controllers + Headset). I've not really touched Sony since the PS1 and for the most part have been Xbox 360... Bought a couple of Vita games (Tearaway, Little Big Planet, Batman) etc.

What do people think so far? I wanted to get a couple of extra games but Game nor HMV had any...

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

What do you want it for? If you just want to view media, a chromecast is currently on offer for £18. If you want to play games, the ps3 has a huge back catalog of cheap stuff but it is long in the tooth now and new releases are thinning out.

PS4 is doing the quality new releases, I suppose you have to decide for yourself if the latest stuff is worth the extra £150. It is for me.

I've never been a massive console guy (prefer the keyboard and mouse) but I love the sports games which are exclusive to consoles these days. Will the PS4 be picking up the multi media aspects in future software upgrades or is this it as a pure games machine?

I've never been a massive console guy (prefer the keyboard and mouse) but I love the sports games which are exclusive to consoles these days. Will the PS4 be picking up the multi media aspects in future software upgrades or is this it as a pure games machine?

PS4 has some media streaming, it's got iplayer, netflix, nowtv, 5 and amazon prime.

The PS4 also has a full html5 web browser, so if you've got a media server that'll do html5 video, like Plex, you can stream anything to the ps4. Plex streams everything 1080p full screen to my ps4, it works a treat. This doesn't work for mp3's though, if that bothers you.

Have to say, I used to hammer the xbox watching movies over upnp/dlna but these days I just use the chromecast. It's 18 quid, it supports pretty much everything and controlling it from a phone or an ipad is much easier than using a game controller.

Archived