Syria - Western Powers Respond To Alleged Chemical Attack

P.K.

The pictures we have all seen are horrific - no question.

Fortunately the casualty list seems a lot lower than Halabja which iirc was the last instance of a dictator killing his own people in this most appalling manner.

The response concerns me though. It seems that headless chicken mode (only without that sense of direction) is rife in Westminster. It seems they think they should do something. But they've yet to figure out what it should be. Thank goodness.

Because I've yet to see any proof that the Assad regime is responsible. With weapons inspectors in country, on the doorstep in fact, it would be a regime limiting move if Assad had ordered it.

But if you're a rebel zealot I can't think of a better way to get Western air-power emasculating your enemies.

Could be either. And while it could be either ramping up the war-mongoring rhetoric is extremely stupid....

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a united UN front, where someone like France took the hard line that says chemical weapons are unacceptable. However, that isn't going to be the case. Sitting by and just letting it happen seems to be the case, which is atrocious, and a lot more people will die because of it. I don't think the UK or the US will do anything beyond hitting a few targets with cruise missiles though.

There isn't a good option for the US on this - they can either not do any military action on whomever used chemical weapons, which will result in potentially more chemical weapons being used, or they can use military action which will result in potentially more chemical weapons being used.

The situation I tell people is that if it was you, with the potential to stop a chemical attack on a town or village which would wipe it from the map, would you just let it happen?

The situation I tell people is that if it was you, with the potential to stop a chemical attack on a town or village which would wipe it from the map, would you just let it happen?

Maybe if I didn't orchestrate the chemical attack by arming Al Qaeda who are posing as "rebels" and brutally murdering the Syrian people, and maybe if I wasn't then deliberately blaming Al Qaeda's atrocities on the Syrian Government as a pretext for invasion, maybe if I didn't have a track record of false claims against other countries as a pretext to invade them (such as the now proven manufactured HOAX that Iraqi soldiers were killing babies in incubator in Kuwait, and let's not forget the WMD's), maybe then I'd have a case to go and invade their country.

I don't know enough about the UN but is it possible that they could sanction military action themselves, rather than the US and or UK just wading in?

I agree that it's an awful situation and difficult to put forward a response to it without all of the information to hand but surely something needs to be done?

so why don't the countries around the area do something? The UK and America are not the worlds police authority and the UK has far less resources and cash than some of the other states and countries around that area.

Why should Syria's neighbours do our dirty work of integrating Syria into the Anglo-American Empire?

4 Star US General (Wesley Clark) Talks The Truth About Iraq Invasion, Future Middle East Conflicts

Amy Goodman on March 2, 2007, U.S. General Wesley Clark (Ret.), explains that the Bush Administration planned to take out 7 countries in 5 years: Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Iran (2007 upto 2012)

Archived