Classic Tt Itv4

trmpton

For those who did not watch here is a brief summary,

From the program I concluded the classic tt would seem to be an IOM government funded piss up for current and former TT racers where they are paid to dress up like they are on a cheesy 60's themed blackpool stag do and feign interest in old machines of which they seem to know very little apart from 'its not a superbike' the same phrase 'this is more about the machines than the riders' will be repeatedly trotted out whilst we still get no further information about the machines but just some lame anecdotes from riders like 'I had a chain snap once so I know how he feels'.

There could have been an interesting program here, perhaps fronted by people who were more knowledgeable about the bikes and the technical achievements with stories from behind the scenes, though that would have taken more research than an easy yet pretty boring paddock walk and talk.

For those who did not watch here is a brief summary,

From the program I concluded the classic tt would seem to be an IOM government funded piss up for current and former TT racers where they are paid to dress up like they are on a cheesy 60's themed blackpool stag do and feign interest in old machines of which they seem to know very little apart from 'its not a superbike' the same phrase 'this is more about the machines than the riders' will be repeatedly trotted out whilst we still get no further information about the machines but just some lame anecdotes from riders like 'I had a chain snap once so I know how he feels'.

There could have been an interesting program here, perhaps fronted by people who were more knowledgeable about the bikes and the technical achievements with stories from behind the scenes, though that would have taken more research than an easy yet pretty boring paddock walk and talk.

I agree. It pretty much portrays the event though, a government funded loss maker that enables a load of old gits to have a fully funded party whilst living out their end of life crisis at the same time as pissing the rest of us off with inconvenience.

The coverage was massively drawn out. 45 mins would have done it. Commentary was awful. The show really missed Craig Doyle in my opinion.

I initially thought the whole classic TT was a good idea with the proper riders, but they are blatantly being propped up by IOM PLC and I predict it will all fizzle out within 5 years.

Watched this last night and I was dissapointed with the coverage of the races. It would seem that not much racing actually happened at all as the races were so edited down and the commentary was very poor.

I have no problem with them speaking to the older riders but the way it came across was not easy to follow unless you already know who a lot of the people and bikes are. I don't think anyone knew would have been interested enough to watch the whole thing.

I am sure it would have been better to cover the Classic TT and the MGP and present it in the same way as the TT coverage. At least that way they would have had time for the history of the bikes, profiles of the riders, racing and interviews.

The races were editted down as in effect there isn't really any proper racing. Yes, they have people going round a track but there is non of the excitement of the proper TT.

Firstly most of the top guys broke down on unreliable old machines, one of them wasn't allowed to even enter and those that managed a few laps, only go through Sulby at 140mph which to me, as a spectator of a TV programme, is boring compared to the 200mph of the TT.

All this combined a long with the other comments makes a shite TV show of a non-event. Due to the lack of real racing its more of an exhibition than a race meet.

dave1978 - You may find the old bikes "only" going a 140mph through Sulby boring but there will be plenty of people out there (myself included) who are interested in seeing the old bikes perform. Of course there will be breakdowns these are classic machines and it is not something the modern bikes are immune from either on the TT course. Maybe it is a case of today's riders not being able to coax the maximum out of the bike whilst also keeping it running over such a long lap?

As for one of the top guys not being allowed to enter - as much as I like him and admire him - they should have read the rules first! I am sorry to say that this is not the organisers fault but that of the team.

The races were editted down as in effect there isn't really any proper racing. Yes, they have people going round a track but there is non of the excitement of the proper TT.

Firstly most of the top guys broke down on unreliable old machines, one of them wasn't allowed to even enter and those that managed a few laps, only go through Sulby at 140mph which to me, as a spectator of a TV programme, is boring compared to the 200mph of the TT.

All this combined a long with the other comments makes a shite TV show of a non-event. Due to the lack of real racing its more of an exhibition than a race meet.

Seemed to me that they were trying to replicate the type of coverage you get from Goodwood. An event that now attracts very good viewing figures on TV and is packed out every year.

Archived