Bishop Wants The Public To Pay For Churches Repairs

EORH

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under the previous bishop The Department of Local Government and the Environment paid some money ( they wouldn't tell me how much) for dozens of churches on the island to be surveyed and alternative uses for them were suggested. There was a big fall-out when the results were leaked in one of their publications.

I've still got a copy of the report somewhere.

We shouldn't have paid for that for that survey and we heathens certainly shouldn't have to pay for the upkeep of any religious buildings.

It's interesting to see how many pies the church has got its fingers in.

http://resources.pihomebuild.com/sites/713/docs/Community_Review_Pack_2013_%5B130416%5D.pdf

I do not agree that the solution is to convert churches to other uses. Our parish churches are a great cultural and historical asset; most of them are open to the public and are effectively public spaces. It would be very shortsighted to convert them to other uses, a change which would be all but irreversible.

Why? They can only get a tiny number of people into them while they're being used and most of them have little or no architectural value. I would deeply resent being asked to support their continuation in any way whatsoever.

There are surely more pressing things that need public money spent on it than churches, this is coming from one of the richest church group in the UK, the Church of England, they own vast amounts of properties and lands, collecting millions in rents.

Turn some of these churches into living accommodation which is a better use in this day and age.

Cheeky bastard! Its a sign of the times and if there aren't enough card carrying Christians left to turn up and drop 50p on the collection plate on a Sunday morning then its tough. The taxpayer has no right funding churches.

The Church of England has one of the biggest property portfolios in England and owns places like the MetroCentre in Gateshead. It isn't short of a few quid.

Time to get this religious relic of Legco as well. Its a totally irrelevant post in this day and age having a Bishop automatically installed in the revising chamber of government.

OK, so what would you do with Lezayre church which will soon need up to 200k spending on it (so I believe). It's hardly in a populated part of the Island, those who do live there are more likely to be aged & retired.

It's of no architectural merit, it simply just 'is'.

To say it's of "no architectural merit" is only your judgement, and even if many today would agree, the people of the future might not. Though this is really not the point. As you say, "it just is", and in and of itself, this parish church and others like it are of cultural and historical value to many people. For most Manx people they are ancestral burial grounds, and for them to be modified to homes for wealthy English financiers, and access to them denied to the public, would be culturally insensitive. The heritage aspect of sites like this is a complex thing.

What to do with Lezayre church? If money really cannot be found for the necessary repairs one possibility is deliberate ruination - the roof remove and structure made safe. This preserves the substantial fabric of the building, and access to the site.

What to do with Lezayre church? If money really cannot be found for the necessary repairs one possibility is deliberate ruination - the roof remove and structure made safe. This preserves the substantial fabric of the building, and access to the site.

Absolutely fine - as long as the church or it's ageing and dwindling congregation pay for that to be done and no public money is wasted on it.

Absolutely fine - as long as the church or it's ageing and dwindling congregation pay for that to be done and no public money is wasted on it.

What do you think about the other historical sites that are maintained with public money, by MNH for example? Why are churches different? I'm not advocating the use of public money to repair them; my main argument is against them being sold privately.

What do you think about the other historical sites that are maintained with public money, by MNH for example? Why are churches different? I'm not advocating the use of public money to repair them; my main argument is against them being sold privately.

Some I approve of, others I don't - and I'm much more likely to visit one of them than any church.

It's certainly fashionable to bash Christianity in Britain. But for an unprejudiced look at the strength of the faith have a look at:

2011 Census, Key Statistics for Local Authorities in England and Wales

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census/key-statistics-for-local-authorities-in-england-and-wales/index.html

The number of residents who stated that their religion was Christian in 2011 was fewer than in 2001. The size of this group decreased 13 percentage points to 59 per cent (33.2 million) in 2011 from 72 per cent (37.3 million) in 2001. The size of the group who stated that they had no religious affiliation increased by 10 percentage points from 15 per cent (7.7 million) in 2001 to 25 per cent (14.1 million) in 2011.

So, yes, there has been a decline. But, by affiliation, at 33.2 million souls Christians are the largest group in Britain. Consider, by contrast the major political parties:

Can UK political parties be saved from extinction?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12934148

2011 Conservative 177,000 - Labour 190,000 - Lib Dem - 66,000 (Source: Estimates based on party reports and House of Commons Library)

Which grouping has more influence in British culture? Christians or the political parties?

So, I say, keep the Church, and Churches, intact for present and future generations.

Archived